A small linear actuator with a very long stroke

In summary, a telescopic cylinder with approximately 10 stages would be a good idea, but I am not familiar with hydraulic and pneumatic solutions, and I assume it would be much more complex to install and command.
gabrieldom
TL;DR Summary
I am looking for a linear actuator very short when it's folded, but very long when it's deployed.
Hello,

I am working on a mechanics project, on which I encounter a problem that I am sure others have faced before. I have tried to find answers here and there by typing keywords, but I can't find what I am looking for.

Here is the context: Two horizontal plates are separated by a mechanical system of articulated bars (a double scissor, like a laboratory scissor jack or like an aerial work platform). The bottom plate does not move, while the second can move vertically.
schema forum.jpg

The top plate needs to be able to lift 10 kg to 50 cm high.
Initially, the mechanical system is completely folded between the two plates: bars are almost horizontal (2° angle between bars and the plates), so that the system is as thin as possible.

I thought installing a linear actuator to power the system, but I often come close to having the actuator almost horizontal when the system is folded (draw 1 and 2), therefore requiring a very strong force to lift the charge, due to a very important lever effect.

Ideally, I'd like to find a linear actuator that I could place vertically (so as to maximize its force) (draw 3), so with a great course (50 cm) but very small when folded (maximum is 5 cm) so that the plates can be as close as possible.

schema forums 1.jpg

A telescopic cylinder with approximately 10 stages would be a good idea, but I am not familiar with hydraulic and pneumatic solutions, and I assume it would be much more complex to install and command.

Are there some solutions that exist to solve such kind of problem? I guess I am not the first to face this issue.

Do not hesitate if it is not clear.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good place to start is to look at how other people have solved the same problem. Search term scissor lift on both search engine and Amazon will find many scissor lifts for laboratory use and lifting motorcycles. A large manufacturer of scissor manlifts is JLG. Their website has many photos, such as one example below:
Scissor lift.jpg

You can see how a standard actuator gets a large lift. Another source of good information is by searching patents. A quick search of patents assigned to JLG Industries finds U.S. Patent 4,194,723, which has the following figure:
4,194,723.jpg

It shows another way to get large extension from standard actuator. That patent references 14 earlier patents. It is likely that some of those will have some good ideas.

All patents that are more than 20 years old are expired, so it is both legal and ethical to use anything in them.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
gabrieldom said:
Are there some solutions that exist to solve such kind of problem? I guess I am not the first to face this issue.
You have two quite separate problems.
1. Keeping the surfaces parallel and positioned in X and Y.
2. An actuator to set position in Z, with a high ratio length change.
I think you realize that solving both with one mechanism is unlikely.

Start by familiarising yourself with similar high ratio systems.

A spiral or tapered coil spring can have a high ratio of length change because it can nest as a flat spiral within it's material diameter.

An aneroid barometer employs a short cylinder with circular corrugated end(s). That is an equivalent to a multistage hydraulic cylinder. Similar corrugated rubber boots are used to environmentally seal gear change levers.

A concertina has a rectangular volume with a high volume ratio, where it is not the ends, but it is the sides that flex and extend.

A hydraulic jigger employs multi-fall pulley blocks to multiply the length of hydraulic movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_jigger

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a type of mechanical device that is used to create linear motion, meaning it moves in a straight line. It typically consists of a motor, a screw or gear mechanism, and a rod or spindle that extends and retracts. Linear actuators are commonly used in various industrial, medical, and consumer applications.

2. What is the purpose of a linear actuator with a long stroke?

A linear actuator with a long stroke is designed to have a greater range of motion than a standard linear actuator. This allows it to move over longer distances, making it useful for applications that require a larger range of movement, such as in robotics, automation, and heavy machinery.

3. How does a small linear actuator with a long stroke work?

A small linear actuator with a long stroke works by converting rotary motion from the motor into linear motion through a screw or gear mechanism. As the motor rotates, the screw or gear moves, causing the rod or spindle to extend or retract. The length of the stroke is determined by the design of the actuator and can vary depending on the application.

4. What are the benefits of using a small linear actuator with a long stroke?

There are several benefits to using a small linear actuator with a long stroke. Firstly, it allows for precise and controlled movement over a larger distance. It also takes up less space compared to other types of linear actuators, making it ideal for compact applications. Additionally, it can handle heavier loads and has a longer lifespan due to its efficient design.

5. What are some common uses for a small linear actuator with a long stroke?

A small linear actuator with a long stroke has a wide range of applications. It can be used in robotics for precise movement and positioning, in industrial machinery for automation and control, and in consumer products such as adjustable furniture and appliances. It is also commonly used in the medical field for equipment such as hospital beds and patient lifts.