Movement in a straight line problem

In summary, the cab moves 197 meters while accelerating to full speed from rest. It takes 4.23 seconds to do this.
tigerlili

Homework Statement

A certain elevator cab has a total run of 197 m and a maximum speed is 307 m/min, and it accelerates from rest and then back to rest at 1.21 m/s2. (a) How far does the cab move while accelerating to full speed from rest? (b) How long does it take to make the nonstop 197 m run, starting and ending at rest?

Homework Equations

i thought you could use v=vo + at
and v= d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did was first convert 307 m/min to 5.12 m/s
then i said 5.12 = 0 + 1.21 (t)
then t= 4.23 seconds

so then i said v= d/t
and 5.12= d/4.23, so d= 21.66 m

then i did part b and said 5.12= 197 m/t and t= 38.48 s

both of my answers were wrong

please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
First you find how long it takes to accelerate to 5m/s, which is 4.23s. What you did wrong was to use 5.12 as the velocity. It isn't 5.12 though, it's velocity is only equal to 5.12m/s right at 4.23 seconds. So just use this equation.
[tex]\Delta x = v_ot + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

okay.. so, i got part a right

but then i tried to use the equation you gave me for part b, and that was wrong :/

So for (a) you got...10.8?
Now for b you need to do this in three parts. Part 1, accelerating over distance x (10.8); part 2, traveling at a constant speed over a distance; part 3, decelerating over a distance(10.8).

yes i got 10.8

i'm not really sure what you mean by that.. what equations are these coming from?

(i'm sorry I'm so needy, I've just never learned this stuff..)

Well the elevator will speed up until it reaches 5.12m/s then it will travel at 5.12m/s until some point and then it will slow down to zero.

Now if it takes 4.23 to sped up to 5.12m/s it will also take 4.23s to slow down to 0m/s.
|-------|-------------------------------|-------| 197m
..10.8m......?......10.8

i accidentally entered 43.1 (which was the answer to another problem) and it turned out to be correct in this instance too, but i still can't figure out how to solve it

i understand what you're saying, but i can't seem to make the connection between the words and the equations you would use

You need to find the the total time. That would be t = t1 + t2 + t3. t1 is the time accelerating, t2 is the time traveling at a constant velocity, t3 is the time decelerating. You found t1 as 4.23s. Now you know that is the same as t3 since it's doing the exact same thing. Now to find t2 you would use t=x\v. You know v, 5.12, but you need to find x. The total length is 197 but it is only at a constant speed after it starts accelerating and before it starts decelerating. So you can find the distance by taking 197 and subtracting how far it goes for the other 2 parts.

alright, I've got it now
thank you for all of your help

Related to Movement in a straight line problem

1. What is a "Movement in a straight line problem"?

A "Movement in a straight line problem" is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object moving in a straight line. This can include determining the distance, speed, acceleration, and time of the object's motion.

2. How do you solve a "Movement in a straight line problem"?

To solve a "Movement in a straight line problem", you will need to use the equations of motion, such as distance = speed x time and acceleration = change in speed / change in time. You will also need to identify the given information and unknown variables, and use the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a "Movement in a straight line problem"?

In a "Movement in a straight line problem", speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is changing its position in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the object's motion.

4. Can you have a negative velocity in a "Movement in a straight line problem"?

Yes, you can have a negative velocity in a "Movement in a straight line problem". This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if a car is traveling east and has a velocity of -20 m/s, it means the car is moving west at a speed of 20 m/s.

5. How does acceleration affect the motion of an object in a "Movement in a straight line problem"?

In a "Movement in a straight line problem", acceleration can affect the motion of an object in different ways. If an object has a constant acceleration, its speed will change at a constant rate. If an object has a positive acceleration, its speed will increase over time. If an object has a negative acceleration (deceleration), its speed will decrease over time.