Movement through an electric field

In summary, in order to find the work done in moving a charge Q = 11 μC from x1 = -67 m, y1 = -36 m to x2 = 98 m, y2 = 75 m in a constant electric field of magnitude E = 120 V/m pointing in the positive x-direction, you can either determine the voltage difference between the two points and multiply it by the charge, or you can use the fact that electric field is force per unit charge and then multiply the force by the displacement. It is important to consider the direction and vector components of the electric field and force when using these methods.
roanoar

Homework Statement

A constant electric field of magnitude E = 120 V/m points in the positive x-direction. How much work (in J) does it take to move the charge Q =11 μC from x1 = -67 m, y1 = -36 m, to x2 = 98 m, y2 = 75 m?

Homework Equations

You see that's the problem... I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not much of an attempt but i know work is force times displacement right? So its just the force needed to move it times how far it is moved. But i don't know how to find the force needed to move it

Physics news on Phys.org
roanoar said:

Homework Statement

A constant electric field of magnitude E = 120 V/m points in the positive x-direction. How much work (in J) does it take to move the charge Q =11 μC from x1 = -67 m, y1 = -36 m, to x2 = 98 m, y2 = 75 m?

Homework Equations

You see that's the problem... I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not much of an attempt but i know work is force times displacement right? So its just the force needed to move it times how far it is moved. But i don't know how to find the force needed to move it

There are two ways to approach this.

First you can determine the voltage difference between the two points. Since voltage is energy (or work) per unit charge, you will take the voltage difference times the charge to find the work done. Remember that voltage is the line integral of electric field over distance (vectorially with dot product).

Second, you can use the fact that electric field is force per unit charge. Hence electric field times charge tells you the force. You already described how to use force to calculate work done.

Try both methods and make sure you get the same answer either way. Remember that force and electric field is a vector, so be careful with direction and vector components.

Related to Movement through an electric field

1. How does an electric field affect the movement of particles?

Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a specific direction. The direction of movement depends on the polarity of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of an electric field and the movement of particles?

The strength of an electric field directly affects the force exerted on particles, which in turn affects their movement. A stronger electric field will result in a greater force and a faster movement of particles.

3. Can electric fields be used to manipulate the movement of particles?

Yes, electric fields can be used to manipulate the movement of particles. This is a commonly used technique in fields such as particle physics and engineering, where electric fields are used to guide and control the movement of charged particles.

4. How does the mass and charge of a particle affect its movement in an electric field?

Heavier particles will experience a greater resistance to movement in an electric field than lighter particles. Additionally, particles with a higher charge will experience a stronger force and therefore move faster in an electric field.

5. What factors can affect the movement of particles in an electric field?

The movement of particles in an electric field can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the charge and mass of the particles, and any other forces present that may counteract or enhance the electric field's force on the particles.