Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

In summary, Shane Carruth's Primer is a well-done, complex science fiction film that may be too difficult for some viewers. It's an excellent movie that is sure to entertain those who enjoy time travel and scientific fiction.
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/" by Andrei Tarkovsky

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0042393/" while not a great film in itself is possibly worth a look as it tries to be as scientifically accurate as possible even though it was made ~20 years before the actual moon landing (it even bothers to mention the small time delay between the Earth and the moon).

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1319690/" for all its faults had its moments and the final episode was particularly good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone mentioned The Prestige? I think that counts as Sci-Fi (it has Tesla as a character!) and it's one of my favorite films

stevebd1 said:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0042393/" while not a great film in itself is possibly worth a look as it tries to be as scientifically accurate as possible even though it was made ~20 years before the actual moon landing (it even bothers to mention the small time delay between the Earth and the moon).

Yes, I saw this for the first time about a year ago, or so. It was definitely intended as a serious film. I can imagine that just about every geek teenager [in the US, in 1950] was eating this up. Also, it seems that Robert Heinlein was heavily vested in this: He helped to write the screenplay.

The Humphrey Bogart lookalike was interesting. :biggrin:

No doubt it inspired at least a few kids who later helped to put us on the moon! It would have been interesting to know how many engineers and scientists at NASA, in 1969, had been enchanted with this movie as a kid or young adult.

Destination Moon is a 1950 American science fiction feature film produced by George Pál, who later produced When Worlds Collide, The War of the Worlds, and The Time Machine. Pál commissioned the script by James O'Hanlon and Rip Van Ronkel. The film was directed by Irving Pichel, was shot in Technicolor and was distributed in the USA by Eagle-Lion Classics.

It was the first major science-fiction film produced in the United States dealing seriously with the prospect, problems and technology of space travel. This movie was not the first such to hit the screens, however; Rocketship X-M stole its thunder.

The eminent science-fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein contributed significantly to the script and served as a technical adviser. Heinlein also published a novella of the same name based on the screenplay about the same time as the release of the film...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Moon_(film )

It won an Academy Award for [the younger people will get a kick out of this] the special effects!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsisGSBlQqo

stevebd1 said:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1319690/" for all its faults had its moments and the final episode was particularly good.

It's a shame that show didn't do better than it did. I thought it was pretty good.

Any Phantasm [1979] fans here? Being a sci-fi/fantasy horror film, it is not the kind of movie I go for these days, but I have to mention this one as I knew two of the stars in the movie - Bill Thornbury and Reggie Bannister. Reggie was a postman by day, a rock star by night, as was Bill, and a two-time actor - Reggie also starred in Phantasm II. They were friends of a friend, so we hung out from time to time. [I think I first met them at a party given in their honor, when they got the movie deal... too long ago now] They were both best known in the Los Angeles area for their musical talents.

I have to admit that it was one scary movie. Bravo listed it as #25 in the top 100 scariest movies of all time. While never a box office sensation, and rightfully so, it did become an instant cult classic.

People would laugh at this now, but there was a scene in the movie that was considered to be so provocative that the film was nearly given an X rating.

Part I
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5322498/14032705

[I happened to notice that Phantasm II was playing on TV]

What version of Dark City are folks recommending? I saw the original version years and years ago, but recently I felt the urge to check it out again. Now I'm finding the original and a director's cut... and the impression I'm getting is that they are quite different.

JaWiB said:
Has anyone mentioned The Prestige? I think that counts as Sci-Fi (it has Tesla as a character!) and it's one of my favorite films

Yes, that was an interesting film.

I have a fascination with
teleportation
and the essence of identity.

Tesla as a character = Sci-Fi? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

One of his more fanciful inventions played a pivotal role in the story.

And I mean literally pivotal; there would have been no story without it. And that is the definition of science fiction.

Well, can you name any movies that are clearly not sci-fi that also have Tesla as a character?

Ivan Seeking said:

As long as the plot was fictional.:smile:

JaWiB said:
Well, can you name any movies that are clearly not sci-fi that also have Tesla as a character?

This is a job for Venn Diagram Man!

Attachments

• PF20100119tesla_venn.gif
    PF20100119tesla_venn.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Dembadon said:
As long as the plot was fictional.:smile:

Indeed, I should probably exclude historical film :D

DaveC426913 said:

And I mean literally pivotal; there would have been no story without it. And that is the definition of science fiction.

Okay, but only if you say so.

I get the feeling that I'm being worked by salesmen here. :biggrin: Of course, it is rare for a salesman to break out a Venn Diagram. That almost never happens.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, but only if you say so.

I get the feeling that I'm being worked by salesmen here. :biggrin: Of course, it is rare for a salesman to break out a Venn Diagram. That almost never happens.
Well, I'm not trying to sell the film. :smile: It was good, but not spectacular.

I just thought it was notable due to its rarity that a piece of technology was more than merely a MacGuffin or plot vehicle in a movie.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, I'm not trying to sell the film. :smile: It was good, but not spectacular.

I just thought it was notable due to its rarity that a piece of technology was more than merely a MacGuffin or plot vehicle in a movie.

I have a sense that the definition of sci-fi is a stretch, but really I was just flicking you **** because I had an opportunity to do so. :biggrin:

DarrenM said:
What version of Dark City are folks recommending? I saw the original version years and years ago, but recently I felt the urge to check it out again. Now I'm finding the original and a director's cut... and the impression I'm getting is that they are quite different.

They added 11 minutes of footage for the director's cut. I'd also suggest watching it again with Roger Ebert's commentary turned on. He once spent 4 days going through this file shot by shot. There was a lot of stuff about the composition of the movie I wouldn't have picked up on without his comments.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051106/REVIEWS08/511060302/1023"

DaveC426913 said:

At its heart it was definitely sci fi but for the most part you wouldn't really know until the twist of the plot is revealed.

A similar movie that I really enjoyed was The Illusionist. Not very sci fi though.

I would really enjoy a good, serious, Steam Punk flick. You know, something better than Wild Wild West.

I have Prestige and the director's cut of Dark City due to ship next, but the Blu-Ray version of Dark City was showing a short wait. Is there any reason in particular why this should be viewed in Blu-Ray, or is a standard DVD acceptable? For example, is there any dramatic or breathtaking cinematography?

Ivan Seeking said:
I have Prestige and the director's cut of Dark City due to ship next, but the Blu-Ray version of Dark City was showing a short wait. Is there any reason in particular why this should be viewed in Blu-Ray, or is a standard DVD acceptable? For example, is there any dramatic or breathtaking cinematography?

I would say that the cinematography is rather attractive from what I remember of it. Rather surreal. Have you watched any trailers for it? I often avoid them myself so I would understand if you prefer not to. Its nice to watch a movie with a fresh eye.

Ok, I just watched a trailer for you to refresh my memory. I would say it is likely worth it to get the HD version if they were really able to translate it into full quality HD.

Galteeth said:
What did people think of Southland Tales?

This was shown on Sky Movies in August last year and watched it as it was simply on the premiere channel, initially not making much time for it as it had received almost universal bad press. At the end of the movie I found myself seriously thinking what had been the critics problems. I went to the IMDB message boards for ST and discovered that the version that had been shown on UK sky premiere had been the Cannes cut, or something that closely resembled it. I have seen the opening to the theatrical version and the exposition (which I think Kelly was pressured to introduce) is almost instantly off putting. Maybe the version shown on UK Sky was the Cannes version with some further editing done, even with personnel taste aside, the version I saw was coherent and I find it hard to believe it would have been beguiled as was the initial showing in Cannes. Maybe the version shown on Sky UK could be classed as a directors cut.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ok, I just watched a trailer for you to refresh my memory. I would say it is likely worth it to get the HD version if they were really able to translate it into full quality HD.

Okay, thanks. I'll give it a few days and see if the Blu-Ray version becomes available.

Ivan Seeking said:

Tesla is also a character in the Sanctuary series. That's bordering on fantasy more than Sci-Fi, though. His character is a vampire with an obsession with electricity. :rofl:

We thought The Prestige was great! And yes, no doubt it qualifies as sci-fi - a very brief but pivotal few moments in the movie. At first I thought the hats and cats may be a ruse.

Did anyone notice who played Tesla?
David Bowie

I don't think I ever would have guessed.

The Lost Room series from SciFi is OK. Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

Ivan Seeking said:
We thought The Prestige was great! And yes, no doubt it qualifies as sci-fi - a very brief but pivotal few moments in the movie. At first I thought the hats and cats may be a ruse.

Did anyone notice who played Tesla?
David Bowie

I don't think I ever would have guessed.
I don't think I paid close enough attention to notice. I only remember thinking that he was not quite as I would expect him to be.

Its hard to explain why it is sci fi without giving anything away. I would say that it is a classic sci fi type plot though as opposed to most sci fi movies that are mostly action, special effects, and monsters.

turbo-1 said:
The Lost Room series from SciFi is OK. Apologies if it has been mentioned before.
Ivan and I were talking about it earlier in the thread. Definitely a pretty good mini series so mentioning it more is a good thing.

I started watching Lathe of Heaven but have not been able to get back to it. So far it is pretty good though the special effects are certainly bad lol. I noticed that it was based on a story by Ursula Le Guin. She is a good author from what books of hers I have read

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ivan and I were talking about it earlier in the thread. Definitely a pretty good mini series so mentioning it more is a good thing.

Tsu and I both really enjoyed the Lost Room miniseries. Not good sci-fi but fun. [whoops, meant to quote Turbo]

I started watching Lathe of Heaven but have not been able to get back to it. So far it is pretty good though the special effects are certainly bad lol. I noticed that it was based on a story by Ursula Le Guin. She is a good author from what books of hers I have read

The second half of the movie gets pretty interesting.

Last night we started on the Defying Gravity series. So far it looks pretty good. I esp like the premise of a tour of the solar system. Not sure that makes sense or ever would, but a fun premise. Obviously there is a dark secret not yet revealed.

Last edited:
20 pages and no one has mentioned "The Man Who Fell to Earth" with David Bowie?

dilletante said:
20 pages and no one has mentioned "The Man Who Fell to Earth" with David Bowie?

Good point! Even after mentioning Bowie it didn't occur to me. I haven't seen that since it first came out, in '76. Already queued up at Netflix. :biggrin: I do see piecewise viewing at youtube.

I must admit that after watching three episodes, Defying Gravity is getting interesting. FInally gave up on the Blu-Ray version of Dark City and have the standard def for this weekend. The problem with Netflix is that when a movie is temporarily unavailable, there is no way to get in line. You have to try to time a movie return with availability of the one you want. Am I missing something here, Netflix users? Is there some way to reserve a movie?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
FInally gave up on the Blu-Ray version of Dark City and have the standard def for this weekend. The problem with Netflix is that when a movie is temporarily unavailable, there is no way to get in line. You have to try to time a movie return with availability of the one you want. Am I missing something here, Netflix users? Is there some way to reserve a movie?

Not as far as I know. I cut down from the three movie plan to two and use the money I save to get a movie from RedBox once in a while. Some RedBox machines are stocking Blu-Ray now.

I'm kind of bummed about the new agreement between Netflix and Warner Bros that means there will be a 28 day delay before new releases show up on Netflix.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100106-710531.html"

Borek said:
Definitely watch District 9. I have just seen it and I can only recommend.

We started on that last night. Both District 9 and Dark City are too much for Tsu so I will have to finish them a little later. District 9 is funny! I like it. It is also fairly unique in the genre. Tsu didn't last long enough for me to get a good feel for Dark City yet, but I can say that kid is creeeeeepy!

Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu didn't last long enough for me to get a good feel for Dark City yet, but I can say that kid is creeeeeepy!

I was wondering about Dark City perhaps being too dark. Does the HD look good? I'm considering buying it.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I was wondering about Dark City perhaps being too dark. Does the HD look good? I'm considering buying it.

So far I'm fine with it, but Tsu has limits when it comes to Sci-Fi. It was clear that it was not a Tsu movie and I didn't get to watch enough to get a real feel for it yet.

The subtle and not so subtle comedy of District 9 kept her interest for a time.

I finally gave up on waiting for the Blu-Ray version of Dark City. It is still unavailable.

TheStatutoryApe said:

This review on the Blu-ray version is pretty good.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/263/darkcity.html"

They generally consider it a big upgrade over the DVD version.