How Does Current Direction Affect Magnetic Field Orientation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the direction of the magnetic field below a wire with a current running in the east to west direction. The right hand thumb rule was used to find the direction, but the answer was in the south direction while the student's answer was upwards. It was clarified that the wire and the cardinal directions are in the horizontal plane and the magnetic field lines are circles around the wire. The student's fingers were coming out of the plane of the paper, indicating the North-West direction, and the green vector represents the direction of the magnetic field under the wire.
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

current in wire is in east to west direction.direction of magneetic field below the line

Homework Equations

right hand thumb rule

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the right hand thumb rule to find the direction of magnetic field but the magnetic field comes out in in the upwards direction(out of plane) but the answer is in the south direction
my answer -upwards
real answer-south

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Suyash Singh said:

Homework Statement

current in wire is in east to west direction.direction of magneetic field below the line

Homework Equations

right hand thumb rule

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the right hand thumb rule to find the direction of magnetic field but the magnetic field comes out in in the upwards direction(out of plane) but the answer is in the south direction
my answer -upwards
real answer-south

Thankyou
East to West defines a line, what plane do you speak about?

Suyash Singh said:
in in the upwards direction(out of plane)
Plane of the paper?
I think your answer is right.

cnh1995 said:
Plane of the paper?
I think your answer is right.
The paper can be horizontal, vertical, or can stand in any direction.

East, West, North, South are defined in a horizontal plane.
The magnetic field lines are circles around the wire, with the wire as axis. Take a pencil as wire and do the right thumb rule in reality. In what direction do your fingers point under the wire?
This is a very bad drawing, I was not able to make a better one. The wire and the cardinal directions are in the horizontal plane.
upload_2017-7-10_8-38-30.png

ehild said:
East to West defines a line, what plane do you speak about?
the plane of paper since north south east west are in plane of paper.

upload_2017-7-10_13-14-48.png

this is the answer but my fingers are coming out of the plane of paper
like this
Maxwell%20right%20hand%20thumb%20rule_1404724095391.png

and this the actual question
upload_2017-7-10_13-18-44.png

I could get the numerical answer but not the the direction

Suyash Singh said:
View attachment 206877
this is the answer but my fingers are coming out of the plane of paper
like this
View attachment 206878
and this the actual question
View attachment 206879
I could get the numerical answer but not the the direction
Your fingers come out of the paper beside the wire or above it. Just under the wire the fingers stand in the North-West direction, and having short fingers, the tips would point to the South. The green vector represents the direction of the magnetic field under the wire.
upload_2017-7-10_10-56-7.png

This is a side view:

upload_2017-7-10_11-2-38.png

Related to How Does Current Direction Affect Magnetic Field Orientation?

1. How do moving charges create a magnetic field?

When an electric charge is in motion, it creates a magnetic field around it. This is because the moving charge generates a magnetic force, which is a result of the interaction between the moving charge and the existing magnetic field in the space. The magnetic field around a moving charge is represented by magnetic field lines, which form a closed loop around the charge.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a moving charge?

A moving charge experiences a force when it enters a magnetic field. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion of the charge and the direction of the magnetic field. The magnitude of the force is dependent on the speed of the charge, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the two.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related phenomena. Moving electric charges produce magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which unify the two forces into the theory of electromagnetism.

4. How does a magnetic field affect a current-carrying wire?

A current-carrying wire creates a magnetic field around it. When this wire is placed in an external magnetic field, the two magnetic fields interact. This results in a force being exerted on the wire, causing it to move in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the external magnetic field and the direction of the current in the wire.

5. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that has its own magnetic field and can produce a magnetic force without the need for an external source of electricity. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is a coil of wire with an electric current passing through it, which creates a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be varied by changing the amount of electric current flowing through it, while a permanent magnet has a fixed strength.