Moving Reflector: Doppler Shift & Relativity Perspective

• Thread starter patricks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary, a moving plane reflector with incident planar e&m waves experiences a Doppler shift in the reflected e&m wave, resulting in lower frequency waves if the reflector is moving in the direction of wave propagation. This indicates that the reflecting plane has absorbed energy from the wave, potentially causing it to heat up. However, in a frame where the plane is at rest, the reflected waves have the same energy as the incident waves and the plane does not heat up. This can be explained from a relativity perspective by considering the work done by the e&m wave on the moving mirror, which results in a loss of energy for the photon. However, this loss of energy does not necessarily result in a heat gain for the mirror, as
patricks
Hey everybody.

If I have a moving plane reflector with incident planar e&m waves, there is a Doppler shift in the reflected e&m wave, correct? So if the reflector is moving in the direction of the wave propagation, then the reflected waves are lower frequency then the incident waves. Therefore, the reflecting plane has absorbed energy from the wave, and heats up. Am I correct up to this point?

Now, if you goto a frame where the plane is at rest, the reflected waves have the same energy as the incident, and the plane does not heat up.

Can someone explain this to me from a relativity perspective?

Science news on Phys.org
When a photon is reflected, I don't see how heat can be generated straight off. Rather, there would be a change in motion of something. Indeed, by conservation of momentum, your initial observer will see the plane accelerate slightly.
First, let's suppose the plane is totally rigid, so all of the imparted energy goes into accelerating the plane as a unit. Your initial observer will measure the gain in kinetic energy as matching the loss in the reflected photon. An observer on the plane will see no change in either.
Now suppose there's some flexion in the plane, allowing some energy to be dissipated as heat within it. We can model this as small rigid reflector attached flexibly to the rest of the plane. An observer in that plane will see the recoil in the struck part and will now see the reflected photon as having lower frequency. The lost energy will correspond to the heat generated by the flexing.

Another way of saying pretty much what haruspex said, but in more fundamental terms: When the mirror is moving, the e&m wave does work on the mirror, therefore the e&m wave has lost energy during the reflection.

Redbelly98 said:
Another way of saying pretty much what haruspex said, but in more fundamental terms: When the mirror is moving, the e&m wave does work on the mirror, therefore the e&m wave has lost energy during the reflection.

I believe Patrick's issue was that an observer riding with the mirror would observe a heat gain but would not see the photon as having lost any energy.

haruspex said:
I believe Patrick's issue was that an observer riding with the mirror would observe a heat gain but would not see the photon as having lost any energy.
Oh, perhaps I was wrong to say my reasoning was paraphrasing yours, as I hadn't carefully read the second half of your post with the flexing mirror. I'd like to keep the discussion at a basic level: treat the mirror as a perfect reflector and a rigid body (no flexing).

My thinking is that no observer sees a heat gain; the loss in photon energy for the moving mirror case does not imply a heat gain. As you said, the energy change of the photon went into accelerating the mirror and increasing its kinetic energy -- if no force other than the photon acts on it.

1. What is the Doppler shift effect?

The Doppler shift effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, such as light or sound, due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect causes a shift towards higher frequencies when the source and observer are moving towards each other, and a shift towards lower frequencies when they are moving away from each other.

2. How does the Doppler shift affect a moving reflector?

The Doppler shift affects a moving reflector in the same way it affects any other source of waves. As the reflector moves towards the observer, the frequency of the reflected waves will increase, and as it moves away, the frequency will decrease. This can be observed in phenomena such as the redshift of light from galaxies moving away from us, and the blueshift of light from galaxies moving towards us.

3. What is the relationship between the Doppler shift and the speed of the moving reflector?

The Doppler shift is directly proportional to the speed of the moving reflector. This means that the higher the speed of the reflector, the greater the change in frequency or wavelength of the reflected waves. This relationship is described by the Doppler formula, which can be used to calculate the exact amount of shift based on the speed of the reflector and the speed of the observer.

4. How does the theory of relativity affect the Doppler shift of a moving reflector?

The theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the Doppler shift effect will be observed in the same way by all observers, regardless of their own motion. However, the exact amount of shift may vary due to differences in relative velocities between the source, the reflector, and the observer.

5. Can the Doppler shift be used to determine the speed of a moving reflector?

Yes, the Doppler shift can be used to determine the speed of a moving reflector. By measuring the change in frequency or wavelength of the reflected waves, and using the Doppler formula, the speed of the reflector can be calculated. This is a commonly used method in astronomy to determine the velocities of distant objects, such as galaxies and stars.