MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree

In summary, it is difficult to switch from physics to civil engineering without a lot of prior research in physics. If you are good in civil engineering and have fun studying it, it is worth sticking with it. However, if you do not have a lot of prior research in physics, it is difficult to do a PhD in experimental or observational physics.
zyn
Hello. I've been wondering for almost a year or so if there's a possibility for me to take MS in Physics after having my degree in Civil Engineering. I always loved engineering and physics that's why I want to study both of them. If it is possible, can you help me guys on how I can apply for MS in Physics? and their requirements ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken the PGRE yet? Scoring well will help your chances.

Dr. Courtney said:
Have you taken the PGRE yet? Scoring well will help your chances.

What about research? Is it possible for a graduate (here in my country, it means bachelor's) engineer without any prior research in physics to do a PhD in experimental/observational Physics?

I have taken both physics and engineering subjects. At first, my major was physics. Right after the first semester, I changed my major into mechanical engineering because I realized I didn't like it. They are not the same. So I guess, you need to study tons of materials. It's not just physics, but also math. I don't know if it's worth the time for you to change direction. But if you're good and having fun in studying civil engineering, then stick with it.

Most engineering guys doing the MSc Physics route will be Electrical or Mechanical and even then there will be holes in their physics knowledge. In the UK at least the taught masters will have a few compulsory modules and a bundle of optional ones so you might try to skip around the stuff you don't know but that approach isn't recommended. You'll have covered classical mechanics and maybe some of your materials knowledge covers thermodynamics or something but what about QM, EM, SR, Solid state and Stat mech to mention a few ? Even the CM stuff might expect knowledge up through Lagrangian/Hamiltonian forms.

I have to ask myself that with my BSc degree in Physics would I be able to do a masters in Civil Engineering and that would be a big fat no! ZapperZ says you guys should test yourself with a practice Physics GRE to see where your knowledge of physics gets you at UG level, I heartily agree. At the very least it's a mountain of study to catch up on.

What is an MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree?

An MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree is a graduate program that combines the principles of physics with the application of civil engineering. It is designed for students who have a strong background in physics and are interested in pursuing a career in civil engineering.

What are the job opportunities for graduates with an MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree?

Graduates with an MS in Physics with Civil Engineering Degree have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as construction, transportation, environmental engineering, and materials science. They can work as civil engineers, structural engineers, environmental engineers, or researchers in various industries.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from this program?

This program will provide you with a strong foundation in physics and civil engineering principles, as well as hands-on experience in designing and analyzing civil engineering systems. You will also learn skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and teamwork, which are essential for a successful career in this field.

What are the prerequisites for this program?

Most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, with a strong background in mathematics and engineering courses such as statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials. Some programs may also require applicants to have prior research or work experience in a relevant field.

Can I pursue a PhD after completing this program?

Yes, many graduates of this program go on to pursue a PhD in civil engineering, physics, or a related field. This program provides a strong foundation for further studies and research in specialized areas such as structural mechanics, environmental engineering, or materials science.