MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook

In summary: It was great fun to see the various solutions and to see how the different algorithms behaved.There are many different software packages that one could use for this type of work. However, one should be aware of the errors that each algorithm introduces and choose the one that will stabilize the solution the longest.
rayj
TL;DR Summary
Options for electronic notebooks to exercise equations in general relativity using notation of MTW G.
I would like to exercise the formulations in the book. I have read Gravitation and many others but I need to do more exercises. I get very bogged down in writing out the symbols. Are there electronic solutions for writing and exercising these equations? I have used Mathcad to perform algebraic equations. I would love to be able to do this as a companion to MTW G.

Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps look to cosmoslogical simulation software.

I found this one called EAGLE but not sure where you can get the code or even what programming language and support libs are used.

http://icc.dur.ac.uk/Eagle/

Langauge wise you might find some code for Julia which is being used in a lot of computational projects.

jedishrfu

That was a great site with wonderful information.

Yes, there is the possibility of obtaining code for calculations.

My primary concern is to be able to perform the symbolic math.

Most real-world simulations of complex systems do not yield analytical solutions (ie a symbolic solution won't be available) only numerical ones. The simplest case of the three-body problem is one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-body_problem

As you an see, there are solutions that while quite beautiful, are not analytical but can be computed numerically. Introductory courses often use this system to help the student understand the best algorithms to choose based on whether the system is periodic or not.

All numerical ODE algorithms introduce some form of error that manifests itself as energy added or removed from the system. The trick for a periodic system is to choose an algorithm that adds some error and then takes away some error periodically allowing the solution to stay stable longer.

In the course I took, the prof had us swap in different ODE algorithms. In some cases, the planets spiraled into each other, in other cases they flew apart.

1. What is the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook?

The MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook is a digital tool designed for scientists and researchers to take notes and organize data related to gravitational theory. It was created by physicists Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler and is based on their renowned textbook "Gravitation."

2. How is the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook different from other note-taking tools?

The MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook is specifically tailored for the study of gravitational theory and includes features such as interactive visualizations, equation editing, and collaboration tools. It also has a comprehensive index of terms and concepts from the "Gravitation" textbook.

3. Is the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook user-friendly for non-physicists?

While the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook was designed with physicists in mind, it can be used by anyone interested in learning about gravitational theory. The user interface is intuitive and there are helpful tutorials and guides available.

4. Can data be imported or exported from the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook?

Yes, the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook allows for the import and export of data in various formats. This makes it easy to integrate with other research tools and share data with collaborators.

5. Is the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook constantly updated?

Yes, the MTW Gravitation Electronic Notebook is regularly updated with new features and improvements. Users can also suggest updates or report any issues they may encounter.