Multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses fitting a polynomial to points with Gaussian errors using chi squared minimization to determine the likelihood of measuring a given parameter set from the fit. The process involves taking N equally spaced x values and calculating the chi squared value using a fit function, and then integrating over all possible y configurations that satisfy the constraints. The challenge is dealing with the correlated terms, and the person also asks for help finding software to handle symbolic algebra and calculus in arbitrary dimensions. The relevant equation is the exponential in the chi squared expression.
foobster

Homework Statement

The larger context is that I'm looking at the scenario of fitting a polynomial to points with Gaussian errors using chi squared minimization. The point of this is to describe the likelihood of measuring a given parameter set from the fit. I'm taking N equally spaced x values and saying that the probability of measuring y at each x value is described by a normal distribution centered around the value of some parent function. I then compute the value of chi squared leaving the y values as variables and assuming a fit function, for example a + b*x + c*x*x. Taking the partial derivatives with respect to the fit parameters gives me a set of constraint equations.

Now I'm trying to integrate over all of the possible y configurations that satisfy my constraints so I can get a likelihood depending only on the fit parameters and the parameters of the original function that generated the y values. All of the y terms can be easily substituted out using the constraint equations except for the Ʃy^2 term in the exponential. If somebody could explain how to do this even with the simplest case of a constraint like [itex]a_{1}y_{1}+a_{2}y_{2}+a_{3}y_{3}+...=A[/itex] then I would really appreciate it. In this case I tried solving for [itex]y_{1}[/itex], substituting it into the exponential, then integrating over all the other ys but I got confused about how to deal with the correlated terms in a general way. Either specific help on this or a pointer to more information on this type of problem would be great.

On a side question, does anybody know of any software that can help deal with symbolic algebra and calculus in arbitrary dimensions? I frequently find myself trying to work with equations and integrals that have some undefined N terms or dimensions and haven't been able to figure out how to do this in Mathematica.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The relevant equation is the exponential in the chi squared expression: e^{-\frac{1}{2}\chi^2} = e^{-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{(y_i - f(x_i))^2}{\sigma_i^2}}The Attempt at a Solution I tried solving for y_{1}, substituting it into the exponential, then integrating over all the other ys but I got confused about how to deal with the correlated terms in a general way.

What is a multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints?

A multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints refers to a type of mathematical integration that involves calculating the area under a multidimensional Gaussian curve while taking into consideration certain constraints or limitations on the variables involved.

What is the significance of multidimensional Gaussian integrals with constraints?

Multidimensional Gaussian integrals with constraints are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, statistics, and signal processing. They provide a powerful tool for solving complex mathematical problems and analyzing data in a wide range of applications.

How is a multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints calculated?

The calculation of a multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints involves using specialized techniques such as the Monte Carlo method, the Laplace method, or numerical integration methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

What are some common constraints used in multidimensional Gaussian integrals?

Some common constraints used in multidimensional Gaussian integrals include upper and lower bounds on the variables, fixed values for certain variables, and linear or nonlinear relationships between variables. These constraints help to narrow down the range of possible solutions and make the integration more efficient.

What are the potential challenges associated with multidimensional Gaussian integrals with constraints?

One of the main challenges of multidimensional Gaussian integrals with constraints is the computational complexity involved in solving them. As the number of variables and constraints increases, the calculation becomes more difficult and time-consuming. Additionally, selecting appropriate constraints and ensuring their accuracy can also be a challenge.