Multimeter Ohms exponential scale; formula?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a formula for a "virtual" analogue multimeter that replicates a physical piece of equipment for training purposes. The problem is that the scale is non-linear, and the conversation discusses various attempts at finding a suitable formula using logarithmic and trigonometric functions. The suggested formula is R(x) = R_0 * tan(a * pi * x/180), where x is the angle in degrees and R(x) is the resistance in MegaOhms. The conversation also mentions using a look-up table for interpolation as a quick solution.
RoGuE_StreaK

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm asking the usual "what formula gives me these results" question, but with a twist; I'm attempting to make a "virtual" analogue multimeter that replicates a physical piece of equipment, for training purposes. The idea is that a random MegaOhm value will be generated, and displayed by the needle; the user must then determine whether it falls within the pass or fail mark for a piece of equipment being tested.

The problem is that the scale is non-linear. It's exponential of some sort. But after a day of intensive online searching, and resorting to throwing numbers at various equations, I can't come up with a formula that gives a reasonable approximation, or even anything remotely close!

NB: ANY formula that fits the points is fine by me; I've severely over-engineered this problem, but I'm determined to get it working!

Homework Equations

Essentially the multimeter needle range is 90degrees of motion, going from zero MOhms to Infinite MOhms in an exponential manner. The following are data points relating MOhms to degrees, very roughly measured from a photo of the multimeter:

value, angle (degrees)
0, 0
0.1, 5.5
0.2, 11.25
0.5, 28
1, 39.7
2, 46.5
5, 61.8
10, 68.65
20, 79.2
50, 86
100, 88.35
200, 89.4
infinity, 90

[EDIT] Here's an example multimeter to show the exponential scale (different from mine, but you get the idea)
http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutorials/images/dc/50035.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried plotting these in Excel and using a trendline, but nothing comes remotely close.
Tried creating dynamic formula that I could change various key values of and see the results for all input values, but could never get a curve that came close; always curved too sharply too late, and I just don't know what terminology I should be searching for to fix it!
I can SEE a definite trend in the plotted points, but Excel doesn't seem to see what I see.

This is intended just as a "cool" factor for some training material, and I've spent way too much time on it, so it's highly frustrating that something that should be so simple has had me (and several of my colleagues) climbing up the walls! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try

[itex]R(x) = R_0 \tan\left(a \frac{\pi x}{180}\right)[/itex]

and determine the best-fit values of [itex]R_0,a[/itex].

fzero said:
Try

[itex]R(x) = R_0 \tan\left(a \frac{\pi x}{180}\right)[/itex]

and determine the best-fit values of [itex]R_0,a[/itex].

Doesn't that have the wrong concavity?

Thanks guys, but it's been almost 20yrs since I've done stuff like this; can someone give a brief terminology of "R(x)","R0", and "a", as I don't know the terms to start googling to get a better understanding. Once I'm in the ballpark at I'm sure I should be able to stumble my way along to a solution, but I first have to FIND the ballpark! ; )
Is it something to do with radians rather than degrees?

In the meantime I think I'll just have to fudge a few random angles/MOhms to display, as really that is all that is required, but I would like to get it working as intended at some stage as I think it would be a cool/useful tool for some future projects.

Why don't you just set 1Meg as the highest value, then

log (10^6) = 6

Use 6 as your max deflection angle (90 degrees), and ratio other logarithmic values to that.

So the angle for 1k would be:

(90 degrees / 6) * log (10^3)

And so on...

hi Berkeman, the issue is that I'm trying to replicate a physical piece of equipment that is in use, so I want to replicate reasonably faithfully the dial used on it. Wouldn't be an issue if I was making one up from scratch.

RoGuE_StreaK said:
hi Berkeman, the issue is that I'm trying to replicate a physical piece of equipment that is in use, so I want to replicate reasonably faithfully the dial used on it. Wouldn't be an issue if I was making one up from scratch.

Oh, I see now. The dial is not log scale after all. Yuck.

Maybe just do a look-up table with interpolation. The more points in your look-up table, the closer the accuracy... Might be the quickest way...

LCKurtz said:
Doesn't that have the wrong concavity?

I guess if you plot things the way he's listed them, yes. x is the angle, R(x) is the resistance.

RoGuE_StreaK said:
Thanks guys, but it's been almost 20yrs since I've done stuff like this; can someone give a brief terminology of "R(x)","R0", and "a", as I don't know the terms to start googling to get a better understanding. Once I'm in the ballpark at I'm sure I should be able to stumble my way along to a solution, but I first have to FIND the ballpark! ; )
Is it something to do with radians rather than degrees?

In that formula:

[itex]x[/itex]: angle in degrees.

[itex]R(x)[/itex]: resistance in [itex]\textrm{M}\Omega[/itex] for the angle [itex]x[/itex].

[itex]R_0[/itex]: scale factor in units of [itex]\textrm{M}\Omega[/itex]. The value should turn out to be close to 1.9 [itex]\textrm{M}\Omega[/itex].

[itex]a[/itex]: another scale factor introduced to improve the fit. This should turn out to be very close to 1.

The conversion between radians and degrees is taken care of by the factor of [itex]\pi/180[/itex] in the argument of tan.

Thanks for that, I'll get back onto it in a few days and see if I can tweak to get something about right, for the moment I'm just slapping it together in fudged format for a quick presentation tomorrow.

1. What is the purpose of the exponential scale on a multimeter's ohm setting?

The exponential scale on a multimeter's ohm setting is used to measure very small and very large resistances. It allows for more precise readings and can accommodate a wider range of resistance values.

2. How do I use the exponential scale on a multimeter to measure resistance?

To use the exponential scale on a multimeter to measure resistance, set the multimeter to the ohm setting and then adjust the selector dial to the appropriate range. The exponential scale will be labeled with different numbers (e.g. 1, 10, 100, etc.), which correspond to different powers of 10. For example, if you are measuring a resistance of 100, you would select the 100 range on the exponential scale. The reading on the multimeter will be in the form of 1.00 x 10^2 ohms, where the 2 represents the power of 10.

3. What is the formula used to convert the reading on the exponential scale to the actual resistance value?

The formula used to convert the reading on the exponential scale to the actual resistance value is R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage applied, and I is the current flowing through the circuit. This formula is known as Ohm's Law.

4. Can the exponential scale on a multimeter be used to measure AC and DC resistance?

Yes, the exponential scale on a multimeter can be used to measure both AC and DC resistance. However, it is important to make sure that the multimeter is set to the appropriate mode (AC or DC) before taking a reading.

5. What is the maximum resistance that can be measured using the exponential scale on a multimeter?

The maximum resistance that can be measured using the exponential scale on a multimeter depends on the specific multimeter model. However, most multimeters have a maximum resistance range of several megaohms (millions of ohms) on the exponential scale.

Back