Multiple Paths in Fermat's Principle: Which One Will Light Choose?

• I
  • Thread starter Joyal Babu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, if there are multiple paths for which the variation in optical path length is stationary, then light will take the path along which the variation in optical path length is the least.
Joyal Babu
In fermats principle what if there is more than one path for which the variation in optical path length is stationary.Then which path would light take to reach from one point to another.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an example where this problem occurs? Of course, there's always a problem at the "shadow boundary" concerning the eikonal approximation, which leads to ray optics as an approximation for wave optics and which (in lowest order) can be formulated in terms of Fermat's principle.

Sorry vanhees,I don't have an example to give.This is just something that came to my mind while I was reading the topic.But is it actually possible to have 2 paths for which variation in optical path length is stationary?And if you can could you explain it to me classically if possible without going to quantum mech,its just that I am just a sophomore.

Joyal Babu said:
In fermats principle what if there is more than one path for which the variation in optical path length is stationary.Then which path would light take to reach from one point to another.
Would you consider light emitted from a point source and being focused by a lens on another point to be an example? The optical path length is the same along all paths through points equidistant from the central axis from source to center of lens to focal point.

Yeah good point,I hadn't considered it that way.One more thing(this might be a stupid question,bare with me) what happens if there is just one photon and we send it one at a time,would we see that the photon is taking all of the paths at once or each path with equal probability of having the photon in it.

"if there is just one photon and we send it one at a time "

Say again?

:),what I meant was we are sending one photon at a time

Joyal Babu said:
Yeah good point,I hadn't considered it that way.One more thing(this might be a stupid question,bare with me) what happens if there is just one photon and we send it one at a time,would we see that the photon is taking all of the paths at once or each path with equal probability of having the photon in it.
Now you're proposing a variant of the quantum mechanical double slit experiment. If we have detectors along the possible paths, then only one detector will trigger for each photon; if we do not have detectors along the possible paths then it is meaningless to ask about which path each photon follows.

I very very strongly recommend that you nail down your understanding of this problem using classical optics before you jump into the world of quantum mechanics.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you for that.

1. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle is a principle in optics that states that light will always take the path that requires the least time to travel from one point to another.

2. Who is Fermat and why is this principle named after him?

Pierre de Fermat was a French mathematician who first proposed this principle in the 17th century. It is named after him because he was the first to describe this principle in mathematical terms.

3. How is Fermat's principle related to the law of reflection and refraction?

Fermat's principle can be used to derive the laws of reflection and refraction. It explains why light follows these laws when it travels between different mediums.

4. Is Fermat's principle always true?

While Fermat's principle is a useful tool for predicting the path of light, it is not always true in every situation. In some cases, light may not follow the path that requires the least time, but instead takes a longer path due to other factors such as interference or diffraction.

5. How is Fermat's principle used in practical applications?

Fermat's principle is used in various practical applications, such as designing lenses and mirrors for optical instruments, predicting the path of light through different materials, and studying the behavior of light in different environments.