Simple probability question on combinatorics

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving an urn with red and blue balls being withdrawn. The solution involves using the combination formula and discusses the importance of the order in which the balls are drawn. The question asks for the probability of a specific number of balls being withdrawn with a certain number of red balls in the mix.
kougou

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand the question:

An urn contains n red and m blue balls. They are withdrawn one at a time until a total of r(r≤n) red balls have been withdrawn. Find the probability that a total of k balls are withdrawn.

The solution is given as,
Sample Space:
(n+mk−1)×(n+m−k+1),
Event(kth ball is rth red ball)=(n)C(r−1)×(m)C(n−r)×(n−r+1)

I also don't understand why the solution use (n)C(r-1)x (m)C(n-r);
I think the ordering of drawing the red balls and the blue balls are important, such that RBBR
is different from BBRR. But the solution says (n)C(r-1), which means choosing (r-1) red balls from n red balls, and choose the remaining (n-r) from the blue balls.

This as if saying that they want the combination of R1 B1 B2 R2 and that's different from
R3 B3 B4 R5
Any ideas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kougou! :smile:
kougou said:
An urn contains n red and m blue balls. They are withdrawn one at a time until a total of r(r≤n) red balls have been withdrawn. Find the probability that a total of k balls are withdrawn.

i'm not sure i understand what you're asking :redface:

the question is asking for the number k such that the first k-1 balls contain exactly r-1 reds, and the kth ball is red (out of the remaining n-r+1 reds and … blues)

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of objects without considering their order. In other words, permutation involves rearranging items, while combination involves choosing items.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible outcomes for a given scenario?

The number of possible outcomes can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. This formula is used for combination problems. For permutation problems, use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being arranged.

3. What is the difference between fundamental counting principle and multiplication rule?

The fundamental counting principle is used when the selection of items is done without replacement, meaning once an item is selected, it is removed from the pool of available items. The multiplication rule is used when the selection is done with replacement, meaning the same item can be selected multiple times. The formulas for both principles are n! / (n-r)! and n^r, respectively.

4. How do I know when to use combination or permutation?

Use combination when the order of the selected items does not matter and when items are not being repeated. Use permutation when the order of the selected items matters and when items can be repeated.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of combinatorics?

One example of combinatorics in real life is calculating the probability of winning the lottery. In this scenario, the order of the numbers does not matter and each number can only be selected once, making it a combination problem. Other examples include scheduling and arranging seating arrangements for events.