Multivar; Path length, and average y-value over it

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length and average y-coordinate of a given path. The formula for finding the length is used to calculate the length of the path, and the resulting expression for the average y-coordinate is given. However, simply assuming that the average y-coordinate will be 0.5 only works if the path is a straight line. The book provides two possible answers for the average y-coordinate, using either logarithms or natural logarithms.
CookieSalesman

Homework Statement

Letting c(t) =(t2,t,3) for 0<t<1 (Really it's a smaller than or equal to sign)

1. Find the length of the path
2. Find the average y coordinate along the path

Homework Equations

What we're given in the book: (These equations are not necessarily relevant)

gv4uvar.png
(formula 1)

l(c) being the length of the path:
zf25t79.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried the equation l(c) to find the length.
Pretty sure you integrate
zrpk999.png

from 0 to 1
The integral gets a bit complicated but, since my professor approved, wolfram alpha told me the arc length of c(t) was approximately 1.4789. I hope everyone has the same answer. Because my book is wrong. (Apparently my textbook is horrendous at being correct, the professor openly tells us)

Could anyone please verify this or tell me why wolfram alpha wouldn't work properly?

But... as for the average y-coordinate...
Isn't it just .5?
By logic you would think that this works out fine.
However my book says either .5736 or .665511 (The book uses log when it really should say ln for some reason, so basically I included both the number for log and ln calculated.
But as for actually trying, I'm unable to figure out what to do.

I can try to apply formula 1, the complicated one above, or I can just try the default single-variable calculus 1/(b-a) int(stuff). That should work, just do y=t and using this you really just integrate this
Since y=t, right?
znzlonm.png

This just gives 0.5
How in the world am I supposed to use formula 1...?
But also I don't understand why 0.5 isn't correct. I should be able to just ignore the x and z component.

So I recall that formula 1 can be converted to integration by dt
formula 1 =
z6hlcay.png

This would be the formal equation for finding a numerical function over a path c(t).
So I'm converting formula 1 so I can try to apply it.

I don't know why... but I just assumed f(c(t)) could be considered 1. Why... I don't know. Does it make sense if I suppose since the problem asks me to find the... well... yeah I basically have no good reason. I seriously don't get why.
But so now it just looks like
zf25t79.png

because f(c(t)) is 1. Except ||c'(t)|| is going to only have a y-component. This makes it so I integrate t only.
Applying formula 1...
Now I'm doing 1/ 1.4789
This gives .676178
This seems close enough to the answer .665511.....

But... I seriously have no idea what I did.
I would really appreciate mathematical explanation for part b. And please tell me if my work in part a was proper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) looks correct.

For 2), the assumption ##f(c(t))=1## is wrong, ##f(c(t))=t## for the y coordinate.
So apply the formula, the resulting expression for the average of the y coordinate along the path is ##\displaystyle \frac{\int_0^1 t\sqrt{4t²+1}dt}{l(c)} ##. This should give you the correct result.Simply assuming that the average of the y coordinate will be 0.5 only works if your path is a straight line.

Attachments

• gv4uvar.png
    gv4uvar.png
    720 bytes · Views: 477
  • zf25t79.png
    zf25t79.png
    696 bytes · Views: 466
Last edited by a moderator:
CookieSalesman said:
However my book says either .5736 or .665511 (The book uses log when it really should say ln for some reason, so basically I included both the number for log and ln calculated.
In calculus, ln and log will be used interchangeably for the logarithm function. Since ##\frac{d\, ln(x)}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}## and ##e^{ln\, x} = x## only apply when speaking of natural logs, this is understood.

The common or base 10 logarithm was used only as a convenience for making numerical calculations with things like slide rules. Except in certain formulas, computers and calculators have cut down on the need to use common logs for calculations anymore.

What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that has more than one independent variable. This means that the output of the function depends on multiple input values.

What is path length in relation to multivariable functions?

Path length refers to the distance along a curve or path in a multivariable function from one point to another. It is calculated by finding the integral of the function over the specified interval.

How is average y-value over a path calculated?

The average y-value over a path is calculated by finding the average of all the y-values of the function over the specified path length. This is done by dividing the integral of the function over the path length by the path length itself.

Why is finding the average y-value over a path important?

Finding the average y-value over a path is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a multivariable function over a specific path. It can also help us find the average rate of change of the function over that path.

What are some real-life applications of multivariable functions and path length?

Multivariable functions and path length have various real-life applications, such as in physics for calculating the work done by a force, in economics for analyzing production functions, and in chemistry for determining the rate of reaction. They are also used in engineering and computer science for modeling complex systems.