Multivariable calculus problem

In summary: When solving for x, you would take the derivative with respect to y and then use the constraint equation to determine the derivative with respect to z.
komarxian

Homework Statement

Find the points on the surface xy^2z^3=2 that are closest to the origin

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x,y,z=/= 0, as when x,y,z = 0 it is untrue. Right?? Otherwise, I am very unsure as to how to approach this problem. Should I be taking partial derivatives to fin the maximum and minimums?

Physics news on Phys.org
komarxian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x,y,z=/= 0, as when x,y,z = 0 it is untrue. Right??
The surface doesn't go through the origin, so it should be fairly obvious that (0, 0, 0) is not the point on the surface that is closest to the origin.
komarxian said:
Otherwise, I am very unsure as to how to approach this problem. Should I be taking partial derivatives to fin the maximum and minimums?
If you're working from a textbook, there should be some examples of how to find the point or points in question. Basically, you want to find any points (x, y, z) that minimize the value of ##xy^2z^3 - 2## One approach uses partial derivatives.

Mark44 said:
T Basically, you want to find any points (x, y, z) that minimize the value of ##xy^2z^3 - 2## One approach uses partial derivatives.

I don't think this is true. You want to find points that minimize the value of ##x^2+y^2+z^2## subject to the constraint that ##xy^2z^3 - 2 = 0##.

komarxian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x,y,z=/= 0, as when x,y,z = 0 it is untrue. Right?? Otherwise, I am very unsure as to how to approach this problem. Should I be taking partial derivatives to fin the maximum and minimums?
Besides the Lagrange multiplier method suggested in #2, you could use the constraint surface to solve for one of the variables in terms of the other two; then substitute that expression into the distance function (squared) ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2##. For example, it is particularly easy to use the surface equation to solve for ##x = x(y,z)## in terms of ##y## and ##z##; then you end up with an unconstrained minimization of some function ##F(y,z) = x(y,z)^2 + y^2 + z^2 ## in ##y## and ##z## alone. You can solve that using standard partial-derivative methods. (But, if you happen to know about "geometric programming" you will realize that your function ##F(y,z)## is a three-term posynomial in two variables, so is a "zero degree-of-difficulty" Geometric programming problem which is solvable without calculus, using just simple algebra.)

Last edited:
phyzguy said:
I don't think this is true. You want to find points that minimize the value of ##x^2+y^2+z^2## subject to the constraint that ##xy^2z^3 - 2 = 0##.
Yes, you're right. I didn't think things all the way through before writing.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables, typically in two or three dimensions. It involves the study of rates of change, optimization, and integrals in multiple dimensions.

2. What are some common applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions based on multiple variables.

3. How is multivariable calculus different from single variable calculus?

In single variable calculus, the focus is on functions with one independent variable. Multivariable calculus extends this concept to functions with multiple independent variables, which introduces new concepts such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals.

4. What are some important concepts in multivariable calculus?

Some important concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, gradients, multiple integrals, vector fields, and optimization. These concepts are used to solve problems involving functions with multiple variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of multivariable calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different mathematical equations. You can also use online resources, attend lectures or workshops, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.