Multiverse with and without me

• B
  • Thread starter Tony Dempsey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiverse
In summary: Though you might want to make that explicit in your summary, for clarity.)In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a multiverse and the idea that all possible outcomes for one's life and the lives of their future generations are played out in parallel universes. The conversation also explores the implications of this idea and questions the viability of a multiverse if certain individuals do not exist in some universes. Additionally, there is a mention of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
Tony Dempsey
Hi All
I'm a new comer to this forum, excuse my posting a question in a reply section but I can't find where to post a question.

I just want to put forward a thought I had in relation to the existence of the multiverse idea, here in lies my query: if all my possible outcomes in my life are played out in the multiverse, then how can all possible outcomes for my children's lifes be played out in the multiverse if in one or more of thoes universes I have no children, taking that thought and idea back one generation to my parents and their decisions to have children and the chances that they have any in the first place makes the possibility of existence seem very small and also for all the decisions we make throughout our lives. To me it seems that the idea of a multiverse cannot truly exist if all past, present and future beings that occupy anyone of them do not exist in the first place??

P.S. (if I die young say at 5 years old in one and live to be an old man with children in another how does the multiverse playout the outcomes for my future generations or is this the only universe)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Dempsey said:
Hi All
I'm a new comer to this forum, excuse my posting a question in a reply section but I can't find where to post a question.

I just want to put forward a thought I had in relation to the existence of the multiverse idea, here in lies my query: if all my possible outcomes in my life are played out in the multiverse, then how can all possible outcomes for my children's lifes be played out in the multiverse if in one or more of thoes universes I have no children, taking that thought and idea back one generation to my parents and their decisions to have children and the chances that they have any in the first place makes the possibility of existence seem very small and also for all the decisions we make throughout our lives. To me it seems that the idea of a multiverse cannot truly exist if all past, present and future beings that occupy anyone of them do not exist in the first place??

P.S. (if I die young say at 5 years old in one and live to be an old man with children in another how does the multiverse playout the outcomes for my future generations or is this the only universe)

The concept you are missing, perhaps understandably, is that of a world without you in it.

I've asked to have this split off into its own thread.

Tony - if you have New Post permissions, there should be a big blue "Post New Thread" button near the upper right of the home page of the particular forum you're in.

Tony Dempsey said:
Hi All
if in one or more of thoes universes I have no children, taking that thought and idea back one generation to my parents and their decisions to have children and the chances that they have any in the first place makes the possibility of existence seem very small and also for all the decisions we make throughout our lives.
There would be universes where you were born vs not born. And those universes then proceed and split, e.g. with/without children as appropriate.

What is your level of understanding on QM, in particular maths?

EDIT: re-worded first sentence.

Last edited:
Just for future reference, note that the many-worlds interpretation of QM is not the same thing as the notion of a multiverse. Fortunately, in this thread, it's clear enough that you're talking about many-worlds.

1. What is the Multiverse theory?

The Multiverse theory states that there may be multiple universes or parallel universes that exist alongside our own.

2. How does the Multiverse theory explain the existence of different versions of myself?

The Multiverse theory suggests that each universe has different physical laws and conditions, leading to the possibility of different versions of ourselves existing in parallel universes.

3. Can I travel to other universes in the Multiverse?

While the concept of traveling to other universes is popular in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that supports this idea.

4. Does the Multiverse theory have any scientific evidence?

The Multiverse theory is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community and there is currently no concrete evidence to support its existence. However, some propose that certain observations in quantum mechanics and cosmology could potentially point to the existence of a Multiverse.

5. How does the Multiverse theory affect the concept of free will?

The Multiverse theory does not necessarily negate the concept of free will as it suggests that each universe has different outcomes and possibilities. However, it does raise philosophical questions about the nature of choice and determinism in a potentially infinite number of universes.