Munkres HW Problem Help Regarding Quotient Spaces and Collapsing

In summary, the problem is to show that the quotient space Y, obtained from R_K by collapsing the set K to a point, satisfies the T_1 axiom but is not Hausdorff. The topology R_K is defined with basis elements (a,b) and (a,b) - K, where K is the sequence 1/n|n is a natural number. For part (a), it must be proven that Y is T1 by showing that each element of Y is closed in R_K. For part (b), it must be shown that p x p: R_K x R_K → Y x Y is not a quotient map, using the fact that the diagonal is not closed in Y x Y but its inverse
SetTheory
This is how the problem appears in my book(Munkres 2nd edition Topology, sect. 22 pg 145)

6. Recall that R_K denotes the real line in the K-topology. Let Y be the quotient space obtained from R_K by collapsing the set K to a point; let p : R_K → Y be the quotient map.

(a) Show that Y satisfies the T_1 axiom, but is not Hausdorff.

(b)Show that p x p: R_K x R_K → Y x Y is not a quotient map. [Hint: the diagonal is not closed in Y x Y, but its inverse image is closed in R_K x R_K]

And R_K is the topology with basis elements (a,b) and (a,b) - K, where K is the sequence 1/n|n is a natural number.

For (a) I am trying to prove that since the quotient space consists of a bunch of one-point sets and they are all closed, Y is T1. What does Y look like? I thought it was R_K where rather than subtracting the points in K, it was subtracting the collapsed single point set and then THIS set was being partitioned into the quotient space. Is this thinking correct, or does the subtraction of K come after R_K has been partitioned?

Assuming Y does look like this, then why must all these one point sets be closed? I remember that K is closed in R_K, but I do not see how this would imply all the one point sets to be closed. I think knowing how Y looks would help a lot.

For (b)...well I have an idea of how to approach this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Y looks like this: there is a point, call it a, such that p(K) = {a}. for every other point x in R_K, p(x) = x.

here's a hint for part (a): if p is a quotient map, A is closed in Y iff the inverse image of A is closed in R_K (see the paragraph under the definition of quotient map in Munkres' book). to show it is not Hausdorff, consider 0 and K.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply,

Then does this mean that p is mapping all other points in R_K to themselves in Y? I suppose that must follow from the def. of quotient map. I guess I am confused about the purpose of collapsing K, if this hadn't been done would Y be Hausdorff?

SetTheory said:
Thanks for the reply,

Then does this mean that p is mapping all other points in R_K to themselves in Y? I suppose that must follow from the def. of quotient map. I guess I am confused about the purpose of collapsing K, if this hadn't been done would Y be Hausdorff?

Yes, R_K is both T1 and Hausdorff. You might want to show this before you continue. The quotient space is still T1 but not Hausdorff. Consider the points 0 and ##a##, as ! defined it. Can you show 0 has a neighborhood that does not contain ##a## and ##a## has a neighborhood that does not contain 0 but no such neighborhoods exist that don't intersect?

Likes 1 person
Okay, yes it definitely makes sense why Y is not Hausdorff, because you cannot separate {a} from 0. One more question, I promise. It is to my understanding I can prove Y is T_1 by proving that each element of Y, the partition, is closed in R_K. I am inexperienced in proofwork, could you give me some direction on how to go about proving this?

Thanks for the help,

You have to show: Every {y} where y is in Y is closed.

Hint: If p is a quotient map from X to Y, then A is closed in Y iff the preimage of A under p is closed.

Likes 1 person
SetTheory said:
Okay, yes it definitely makes sense why Y is not Hausdorff, because you cannot separate {a} from 0. One more question, I promise. It is to my understanding I can prove Y is T_1 by proving that each element of Y, the partition, is closed in R_K. I am inexperienced in proofwork, could you give me some direction on how to go about proving this?

Thanks for the help,

The only problematic points are ##a## and 0. Can you give an example of a neighborhood of 0 than does not contain ##a## (that should be easy) and a neighborhood of ##a## that does not contain 0 (that might be just a little harder).

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you! I am excited to fill out this proof now

1. What is a quotient space?

A quotient space is a mathematical concept in topology and linear algebra that involves taking a space and collapsing certain parts of it together to create a new space. It is often used to simplify or categorize a space by identifying and removing redundant or unimportant elements.

2. How do you construct a quotient space?

To construct a quotient space, you first need to identify the elements or subsets of the original space that you want to collapse together. Then, you define an equivalence relation on the original space that will group together these identified elements. Finally, the quotient space is created by taking the original space and collapsing the identified elements according to the equivalence relation.

3. What is the purpose of collapsing a space?

The purpose of collapsing a space is to simplify or categorize it in some way. This can help in understanding the structure of the space or solving problems related to it. For example, collapsing a complicated surface into a simpler shape can make it easier to study and analyze.

4. Can you give an example of a quotient space?

One example of a quotient space is the real numbers modulo 2, denoted as $\mathbb{R}/2\mathbb{Z}$. This is constructed by taking the real numbers and collapsing all even integers together, creating two equivalence classes: the even integers and the odd integers. The resulting quotient space can be visualized as a circle, with each point representing an equivalence class.

5. How is a quotient space related to a topological space?

A quotient space is a specific type of topological space that is created by collapsing parts of another space. It inherits certain properties from the original space, such as connectedness and compactness, but may also have unique properties that are not present in the original space.