Musical Chills: Do You Experience Them?

• Music
  • Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
In summary: Some music that gives me the chills:Conquest of ParadiseEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver meEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver me
brainstorm said:
I wonder if music can give you chills the first time you listen to it, unless it evokes some past emotional-connotation. My point is that I don't think the chills are a direct result of the music itself as much as they have to do with cognitive-emotional associations it evokes. Anyone think otherwise?

Hmm, I don't remember ever getting chills the first time I heard a piece of music.

For me it's really a combination between the emotions evoked by the lyric, and the emotion in the singer's voice.

Science news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Hmm, I don't remember ever getting chills the first time I heard a piece of music.

For me it's really a combination between the emotions evoked by the lyric, and the emotion in the singer's voice.

I'm with you on that, but I don't know that the first bit is for the same reason as it is for you. I might get chills the first time I'm exposed to a song, but I don't know for sure because I almost never hear a piece clearly or in its entirety until I make a concentrated effort to do so. I have a strange hearing problem (my auditory circuits work fine, but my speech-interpretation centre doesn't). Usually, therefore, it is something intense that gets my attention part-way into a song. That can be superb vocals such as from the aforementioned Bonnie Tyler and Laura Brannigan, Neil Diamond, Billy Idol, Madonna in "Like a Prayer", etc., or catching instrumental work or overall tune that I can't even determine the lyrics to until I find a video and lip-read it. (In fact, during the beginning of this post I popped another screen open and pulled up The White Stripes because that little guitar riff that the guy does is really cool. I heard it a couple of dozen times on the radio, but never had a clue as to the words until I got it onto the computer. Now I like the whole song.)

donwado1 said:
So what do you think? A happenstance occurance when one electrial cord hits another in the brain. Did you read any of the writing? Disagree? I am confused by "I guess there are all sorts of interpretations." Enlighten me to what you are saying. Thanks. Don

I’d hoped to learn more and enjoy an interesting discussion about an experience that seems a measurable and repeatable response to music by starting this thread, and have, rather than wanting to draw any particular conclusions. I have some ideas, for example, music being an art form, I think aesthetics is involved. The discussion has been about studies, anecdotes, noting of similarities and differences with possibly relevant information, leading to some interpretations. “Truth” is another interpretation, the meaning in this context isn’t entirely clear to me, and also I don’t see that you’ve given some support for this which could be used for discussion. So, I agree you have a view, and I'm pleased that I’m not alone in finding this interesting.

rhody said:
Yeah Danger,

I could have used a better choice of words in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2784486&postcount=43". It is good to see someone pays close attention to what you post.

when I said:

After reading the book, twice now, redlining it and taking notes, I am fairly convinced that the areas in my brain have been remapped, (which is what I meant by, "changing somehow") and as you state above, "strengthen synaptic connections".

In addition, to strengthening the ones I have there is sufficient evidence that new synaptic connections are being created. This process can takes place in as little as three days and occurs in two stages. I plan to cover this in detail in a new thread soon. In addition, since the neuroplastic change is competitive in nature, excess neurons are pruned, and the signals across existing ones are strengthened. A pretty amazing adaptation.

The phenomenon of chills started for me I would say in the April time frame when I was posting in the synesthesia thread, and as time has progressed only gotten stronger. I guess months of fairly regular focused concentration, study and posting have made this possible. It was serendipidious that I just so happened to be reading a book that explains how and why this happens. All I can say for sure is that I plan to keep up this practice, because I enjoy the feeling I get from it.

The chapter on worry and anxiety in the book also had something to do with it because, when you worry or obsess over something, you can't possibly feel good at the same time. Three parts of the brain are involved when you worry or obsess, the orbital frontal cortex, cingulate gyrus, and caudate nucleus, the gearshift that allows thoughts to flow from one thought to the next. When you focus on a new activity, you keep the caudate from getting stuck, by growing new circuits in it. When this change occurs the frontal cortex becomes less active, the caudate nucleus allows the gearshift to work normally. Once improved the firing in a hyperactive way (the locked condition) is vastly improved, and you are no longer stuck with worrisome or obsessive thoughts. I think this is the biggest benefit I have seen and I really love the feeling. I have been a worrier all my life. Now, this has been vastly improved as well as focus and concentration with repeated practice since April. Sorry to take this thread off topic but I thought it important to discuss.

Rhody... :cool:

Rhody, that is really interesting, and I’m sorry that I must not have read your posts thoroughly enough. I’m looking forward to seeing your elaborations in another thread. I’m heading away in a few days, so may have to wait until I’m back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to disagree with Lisab and Danger, but I really think I have felt chills on listening to a piece for the first time. It could be that I've been aware of some studies about this for some time and have been attentive to my reactions, or just talked myself into it :) !
It has been a rare occurance, and has happened when I've tried to imagine how the music would resolve itself and found to my surprise that it did so in a way that was far better than I could have imagined it would.

I'm not sure myself, I would tend to think it could happen the first time. I do know that music that would not touch me at all during childhood, can do so now. For instance the Wolga song performed by Rudolf Shock was my dad's favorite. But at that time I had no thoughts about it. My favorite chillers then were the Pearl Fisher duet (linked to earlier by Fuzzyfelt) and the slaves chorus from Nabuccodonosor of Guiseppe Verdi.

Also if I hear unknown music devellop the way as I expect it to, I'm wondering if it's a deja vu, from something I may have heard in the past and about which I had forgotten.

fuzzyfelt said:
Sorry to disagree with Lisab and Danger, but I really think I have felt chills on listening to a piece for the first time. It could be that I've been aware of some studies about this for some time and have been attentive to my reactions, or just talked myself into it :) !
It has been a rare occurance, and has happened when I've tried to imagine how the music would resolve itself and found to my surprise that it did so in a way that was far better than I could have imagined it would.

Fuzzy,

Holy ... ! What you just said convinced me that I am not crazy. When I said awhile ago that I can give myself chills in thinking about some fantastic idea or a piece of music, or after stopping listening to music and imagining it. What I didn't state was that if I was feeling worry before the chill experience, it is replaced by a sense of well being that comes with the "chill" experience. The worry disappears. This is such a great thing I can't begin to describe it. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt, at least for me, that my worry is a "mild" form of OCD, and the chill experience breaks the cycle of it.

as I replied to Danger in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2820215&postcount=144"
Three parts of the brain are involved when you worry or obsess, the orbital frontal cortex, cingulate gyrus, and caudate nucleus, the gearshift that allows thoughts to flow from one thought to the next. When you focus on a new activity, you keep the caudate from getting stuck, by growing new circuits in it. When this change occurs the frontal cortex becomes less active, the caudate nucleus allows the gearshift to work normally. Once improved the firing in a hyperactive way (the locked condition) is vastly improved, and you are no longer stuck with worrisome or obsessive thoughts. I think this is the biggest benefit I have seen and I really love the feeling. I have been a worrier all my life. Now, this has been vastly improved as well as focus and concentration with repeated practice since April.

Rhody... :biggrin:

...and coming to think of it, solving things like https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2334851&post2334851 certainly gives the same experience. maybe that explains my activity over there.

Andre said:
Also if I hear unknown music devellop the way as I expect it to, I'm wondering if it's a deja vu, from something I may have heard in the past and about which I had forgotten.

Well, some people may not realize it but music does have various languages and vocabularies. So there's really no such thing as a piece of music that's totally unrecognizable. If nothing else, music usually consists of notes from a 12 interval division of octaves. If you would divide octaves into 13, 11, or some other number of equal intervals, you would probably still organize the notes into relatively consonant and dissonant harmonies. If you didn't organize them at all, and even didn't bother with any discernible rhythm, you would have a hard time distinguishing such "music" from noise. So, generally most music plays on past emotions you've experienced through or to music and evokes them in innovated ways by varying the elements in various ways.

fuzzyfelt said:
Sorry to disagree with Lisab and Danger, but I really think I have felt chills on listening to a piece for the first time.

I don't consider you to be "disagreeing", not that you should be sorry about doing so anyhow. You're merely relating a different experience than ours. I can't even say for sure that it has never happened to me; it's just that I don't remember such.

Danger said:
I don't consider you to be "disagreeing", not that you should be sorry about doing so anyhow. You're merely relating a different experience than ours. I can't even say for sure that it has never happened to me; it's just that I don't remember such.

Thanks, Danger, and yes there could be all sorts of explanations. It could be that I’ve been attentive to it, it may be that there are bigger variations in this experience, or we may possibly be discussing different experiences. Lisab also had said her experience results from a combination and I like that idea but wonder if a combination of factors occurred in the experiences I’ve mentioned. I don’t think it required a combination including lyrics, but may in that instance required a combination of musical or sound elements.

Last edited:
Andre said:
I'm not sure myself, I would tend to think it could happen the first time. I do know that music that would not touch me at all during childhood, can do so now. For instance the Wolga song performed by Rudolf Shock was my dad's favorite. But at that time I had no thoughts about it. My favorite chillers then were the Pearl Fisher duet (linked to earlier by Fuzzyfelt) and the slaves chorus from Nabuccodonosor of Guiseppe Verdi.

My Grandfather would play a recording of the Pearl Fisher duet most evenings while I did my homework as a child.

Andre said:

brainstorm said:
Well, some people may not realize it but music does have various languages and vocabularies. So there's really no such thing as a piece of music that's totally unrecognizable. If nothing else, music usually consists of notes from a 12 interval division of octaves. If you would divide octaves into 13, 11, or some other number of equal intervals, you would probably still organize the notes into relatively consonant and dissonant harmonies. If you didn't organize them at all, and even didn't bother with any discernible rhythm, you would have a hard time distinguishing such "music" from noise. So, generally most music plays on past emotions you've experienced through or to music and evokes them in innovated ways by varying the elements in various ways.

Yes, I think you both are saying that memories could be very important, and I agree. I think Loren Booda might have been talking along these lines, too.

I"d focussed on a surprisingly good resolution as a trigger on first hearing, but wonder about music that doesn’t resolve itself as a counter to that, too. I’ve listened to Schoenberg a lot in my life, for example, and think it can give me chills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_hkWLDdpg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2XTNgA72w&feature=related Or Stockhausen can be thrilling?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1YY_BvWU&feature=related

So it may not necessarily be about resolution, but is music rather than noise important? I’ve recently linked this to illustrate some problems with distinctions- ‘When Indian sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar and his ensemble played at Madison Square Garden, New York, in 1971, the audience broke into rapturous applause at the first short pause. "Thank you," said Shankar. "If you appreciate the tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing more."’
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ef=online-news
And wrote more about this here once, saying I think what is considered music may be to do with aesthetic perception.
(More-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_music
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/music/ )

Andre said:
...and coming to think of it, solving things like https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2334851&post2334851 certainly gives the same experience. maybe that explains my activity over there.

That is a big compliment, thank you, Andre! It strikes me often as very artistic. I worry about doing those landmarks justice- others at this forum would have better suited to providing hints for that numerical one, but it was nice to put it in an historical context, thanks. I won't get a chance to play again for a while, sadly.

rhody said:
Fuzzy,

Holy ... ! What you just said convinced me that I am not crazy. When I said awhile ago that I can give myself chills in thinking about some fantastic idea or a piece of music, or after stopping listening to music and imagining it. What I didn't state was that if I was feeling worry before the chill experience, it is replaced by a sense of well being that comes with the "chill" experience. The worry disappears. This is such a great thing I can't begin to describe it. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt, at least for me, that my worry is a "mild" form of OCD, and the chill experience breaks the cycle of it.

as I replied to Danger in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2820215&postcount=144"

Rhody... :biggrin:

Rhody, I enjoy your exclamations! I pleased my post was reassuring. I hope it has application, as it seems to in other instances of chills, too. I think possible factors so far have included pitch or tone (with voice, guitar, violin, piano…), beat and percussion instruments, memories, emotion (including emotional lyrics or that contained in the voice or seemingly in an instrument) and one that seemed to strike a chord (sorry for the pun) with a few of us-resolution. And on top of all of this is lisab’s mention of a combination. This has all given me a lot to think on.

A resolution to worries is very rewarding. Perhaps it is just satisfying, I don’t know. I’ve tried turning the music down as you suggested and don’t like it. Perhaps my imagination isn’t so good or I’m too impatient, but it just feels like it ruins a perfectly good moment. Again, I look forward to your elaboration of Doidge’s book.

I never got much of a thrill from Ravi Shankar's recordings, but my GF wanted to go see him and his group when they performed on campus, and I was in heaven from the beginning to end. Hearing that group live through a great sound-system AND seeing them from the front row (we got there real early) did the trick. Still, no chills of thrills from the recordings afterward. The live performance was great, though.

The live performance sounds amazing! The front row, the music, the atmosphere!

On another note, I'm still wondering about how speeches like the Martin Luther King speech relate to all this, amongst many other things.

Last edited:
From https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2798573&postcount=113"
'Moreover, the findings of studies seem to converge in suggesting the involvement of “limbic and paralimbic structures (such as amygdala, hippocampus, parahippocampal gyrus, insula, temporal poles, ventral striatum, orbitofrontal cortex, and the cingulate cortex)” (Koelsch, 2005, p. 412) in musical emotion processing. Note that none of these structures appears to be specialized exclusively for music. However, the existence of music-specific modules for emotion processing remains a plausible hypothesis for future research (Griffiths et al., 2004).'

To address brain regions in comparison involved in female orgasm with chills, there appears to be common brain areas involved in both chills and female orgasm:

http://psychology.rutgers.edu/~brk/published051106.pdf"
Brain regions activated during orgasm included the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus, amygdala, accumbens-bed nucleus of the stria terminalis-preoptic area, hippocampus, basal ganglia (especially putamen), cerebellum, and anterior cingulate, insular, parietal and frontal cortices, and lower brainstem (central gray, mesencephalic reticular formation, and NTS). We conclude that the vagus nerves provide a spinal chord-bypass pathway for vaginal-cervical sensibility and that activation of this pathway can produce analgesia and orgasm.

and my https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2817693&postcount=130"
I am going to try to dig up some valid scientific evidence for this, not just one's woman's opinion. Who knows, this woman may have wanted her 15 minutes of fame and got it.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2007/01/72325"

This article has some socially redeeming value so I thought I would include it, for instance, to a woman who was paralyzed from the waist down was able to have an orgasm after paralysis. The quote(s) in blue are especially touching (no pun intended).
WN: What are we learning about these non-genital orgasms?

Whipple: That they're real. We may have to reconsider what people define as orgasms, and not just have it defined in the genitals. We find that certain of the same brain areas are activated during orgasms experienced by imagery only (as during genital orgasms).

Komisaruk: It broadens our perspective on the potentialities of the body and brain. If we understand better how we can generate such pleasure from all different parts of our bodies, that increases our potential for sensory experience.

WN: Do you think there might come a time when orgasms really get detached from the genitals?

Komisaruk: It's happening right now. People have described orgasms through imagery, nose orgasms, knee orgasms. Although it sounds strange, the reports are believable. Now, people can show our book to someone who doubts it, and it can serve as a validation. Time will tell how prevalent non-genital orgasms are.

WN: You've found that even women with no feeling below the waist can have genital orgasms through genital stimulation.

Whipple: We've documented through our research that women who have complete transection -- interruption of the spinal cord -- can experience orgasms.

Komisaruk: The nerve pathway for that is via the vagus nerve, which can go directly from the cervix and uterus to the brain, passing outside the spinal cord. Women with spinal cord injuries told us that their doctors told them it was impossible to experience genital sensation, it was impossible to experience genital pleasure. They thought something was wrong with them when they experienced it, and they were troubled by it.

WN: What is the vagus nerve?

Whipple: "Vagus" means wanderer -- the nerve wanders through the body. Previously, it wasn't thought that it goes as far as the pelvic region. But our research and that of other laboratories is showing that it does in fact go to the cervix and uterus and probably the vagina. It carries the impulses from those regions, travels up through the abdomen, goes through the diaphragm, through the thorax (chest cavity), up the neck outside the spinal cord, and into the brain.

Komisaruk: Men and women have described an orgasmic experience from stimulation of the skin region around the level of the spinal cord injury. The injury creates an area of heightened sensitivity. They've told us if the right person stimulates that skin in the right way, it can produce very pleasurable sensation, including what they describe as orgasms.

We studied one such woman who had a spinal cord injury near her shoulders. She stimulated her neck with a vibrator, and she said that elicited an orgasm for her. We observed her blood pressure and heart rate, and they became elevated just as if it were a genital orgasm.

WN: Professor Whipple, you had a very emotional moment with one subject who had a spinal-cord injury.

Whipple: That particular woman had not tried any sexual stimulation, either with herself or a partner, in the two years since she had an injury. When she was in the laboratory, this woman experienced six orgasms through self-simulation. It was extremely emotional. She was crying, I was crying. She didn't think this was possible, and she was so pleased that she had volunteered to be a research subject. This had helped open up her essential pleasure again.

WN: You've both used fMRI and PET scans to monitor people while they're experiencing sexual pleasure. What have you learned from that?

Whipple: That some of the same brain areas are activated during orgasm in women with and without complete spinal cord injury, and also during orgasm from imagery alone, with no one touching their body, including the women themselves.

Komisaruk: Certain of the brain components -- the insula and cingulate cortex -- that are activated during orgasms in women are classically known to be activated during response to pain. We've seen that there is a strong inhibition of the response to pain during orgasm. What that leads us to think is there is some kind of very important interaction between the orgasmic experience and the pain experience.

Another brain component -- the nucleus accumbens -- which we see activated during orgasm in women has been shown by others to be activated by pleasure-producing drugs.

A third orgasm-activated brain component we see in women -- the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus -- produces oxytocin, which is secreted in peak amounts during orgasm in women and stimulates uterine contractions.

I dug up some credible evidence that proves that an orgasm by thought alone is possible, and that some areas of the brain are shared between chills and female orgasm. There, I feel better now.

Rhody...:cool:

I always get chills when I hear my country's anthem

RedAnsar said:

RedAnsar,

And what country would that be ?

Rhody...

I don't get them as much as I used to, but still do. It usually seems to be at a particularly intense part of the music for me, and I think that it helps if the music is being played pretty loud.

This one gives me chills, particularly when it hits the intense part in 5/4 rhythm:

RedAnsar said:

It would be really interesting to do in depth research into the emotional dynamics of nationalist/patriotic propaganda. I think the Nazi propagandists of the 1930s-40s did a lot in this area, although I wonder how much was objective scientific research and how much was just purely marching forward with art (punny, I know). I also wonder if it is possible to evoke so much nationalist-patriotic emotion with propaganda that it becomes uncomfortable to even the most devout supporters. Or could people just wallow in an ocean of country-love until they melt into a dreamy euphoria? Experiments to answer these kinds of questions could get really creepy though, I think.

It has been bugging me that I should have pointed out Jehudi Menhuin/s (sp?) suggestion of silence in my last post, and also should have said sound rather than noise.

Thanks for the links and further thoughts here, I'll digest them.

Rarely I felt shivers so strong when I took this picture of my niece this morning.

1608x9f.jpg

Of course it was a bit chilly still :uhh:

Last edited:
Nice effect from the lens flare! Did you foresee that, or was it a fortunate coincidence?

rhody said:
RedAnsar,

And what country would that be ?

Rhody...
Colombia

but I get them with other nationalistic/patriotic songs from the US (among other countries...)

I suppose it is because patriotic songs have so much emotion in them you can feel it when they're properly played.

Andre said:
Rarely I felt shivers so strong when I took this picture of my niece this morning.

1608x9f.jpg

Andre,

Great picture/timing/angle/shutter speed. That ethereal quality you captured triggered memories of late fall afternoon (red orange) light on a few female friend's hair (reddish blonde) in particular I used to hang out with in college, when the angle was just right, and the light hit their hair at just the right angle with me between the person and the light it triggered that same chill feeling, very strong.

I never understood it at the time, thought it was odd, maybe associated with a true attraction to the young lady, but it was something other than that. Indescribeable and fleeting, because body position, wind, sun position lasted for a few fleeting seconds, however it made a lasting imprint on my mind to this day.

Thanks for triggering it again, it was fun, and BTW stronger than most chill sensations I am used to, if there is such a thing. Sorry that it wasn't to your picture, but acting as a trigger point to my memories. I would say it only happened two or three times that I can think of though, usually at the end of a long walk at the end of the day.

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited:
Only from amazing music. Songs that do it:

Ratatat - Cherry
Ratatat - Grape Juice City
Andy Blueman - Sea Tides
And as well as these some AMAZING orchestral music can like 'To Zanarkand', especially when I'm playing it on the piano!

Thanks Rhody, I think I have pix like that you decribe from her, but I won't post it, however on facebook, she is one of my friends.

Turbo it was sort of random but I know what lens flare can do; so I did aim for it a bit

Oh and that post contains essential clues for the landmark

Last edited:
Andre said:
Turbo it was sort of random but I know what lans flare can do so I did aim for it a bit

You kind of have to yes? A remarkable photo like that is not exactly a product of luck. Thank you for sharing Andre.

TheStatutoryApe said:
...A remarkable photo like that is not exactly a product of luck...

Whilst the picture involved getting a horse whispering girl in an unusual dress and a horse in matching color at a preplanned place at an unusual early hour, was obviously a case of planning and the luck of cooperative weather, which is not very unusual here. But the pic was still a bit of luck, while I shot pix every few seconds while she passed, this one required spot on timing in that movement. But then again I could have repeated it, albeit that the dew in the grass would have been disturbed a second time.

You should see this one on an A3 size print.

After watching this movie on cable many years ago I went out and purchased the DVD. The main reason I did so was because of this music:

(multiple chills)

RedAnsar said:
Colombia

but I get them with other nationalistic/patriotic songs from the US (among other countries...)

I suppose it is because patriotic songs have so much emotion in them you can feel it when they're properly played.

You won't get it from ours. The British national anthem is an embarrassingly crap one.

I’m correcting a correction, blaming poor connections, strange computers and a few cocktails. In my last post I was referring to
Yehudi Menuhin, Baron Menuhin, and his discussion with Glenn Gould, from post # 152, which wasn’t my previous post as I’d mistakenly said.

RedAnsar said:
Colombia

Jamma said:
You won't get it from ours. The British national anthem is an embarrassingly crap one.

It is our royal anthem, too, btw. Thanks Jamma, for that previous (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, 5/4) recommendation, which had a similar effect on me. I didn’t expect chills listening to it, it is less usual for me to experience them with the piano involved, and a piece I don’t know, so it was a nice surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L21Tg_UdL_Q&feature=related
I’d recommend our national anthem to anyone especially fond of the word “girt”.

This is the Colombian National Anthem.
I'm interested brainstorm's concerns although, wrongly or rightly, I like songs that to me seem to representative of a culture, like I like Blake’s “Jerusalem” (hymn) ( listened to a version by the same performers Jamma recommended), or “Guantanamera” from Cuba, for example. I don’t know Colombian music well, but have really enjoyed much of the rhythm, instruments and dancing of the little I’ve seen and heard, perhaps RedAsner might recommend more Colombian music.

Andre said:

1608x9f.jpg

Great photo, Andre. Thanks for thinking of this thread. Visual triggers especially interest me, as well as finding other triggers interesting. On that note, I’d thought it a bit too odd to mention before, but have been enjoying such a climate in my travels and will mention it anyway, an amount of humidity in the air gives me chills.

Nice musical selections, Caramon, TurtleMeister and mugaliens. Ratatat is familiar, but I hadn’t known the name.

I just saw an ad on TV. Bravo Channel is showing a special tomorrow night called "The Musical Brain". From what I could gather (I saw only part of the ad), it investigates the neurophysiological aspects of musical appreciation.