Musical Chills: Do You Experience Them?

• Music
  • Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
In summary: Some music that gives me the chills:Conquest of ParadiseEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver meEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver me
Got lots of musical chills as well, though not so much now. But yes, there's other fields where you can get the good-feel chill as well!

Science news on Phys.org
Agreed, CronoSpark, thanks.

Yeah I too have a great experience with it but only with Heavy Metal music...

I get musical chills mainly from vocals. I'm not a musician, but I am a dancer. Maybe that explains the music-body connection I have?

Sounds get me chills and goosebumps, yes. I have several categories:

The good ones - mostly from vocals, and I've NEVER had chills from recorded music from a studio(music on which engineering or mixing of any kind was performed), only from live performances (which, again can be recorded or, for example, shown on TV).

I feel that most produced music today takes away a lot of the natural roughness and bumpiness of human voice. It's the idea that even two singers hitting the exact same key don't sound like the same voice (this is something auto-tune seems to make out of voices...) - I'm no music professional of any kind so I lack the correct description of that certain... let's call it "character". However, the singer should actually know how to sing well of course!

Then there's another kind of chills which depends on the mood and the... "way the music goes while it plays". I listen to electronic music a lot, and it works very well to transfer moods. It's very hard to describe, every kind of sound just translates into... well, shapes? Music tends to create fractal pictures before my "inner eye" and to even influence the color of things I see. Green is still green, but it changes with the mood the music invokes in me. Hard to describe.

And third, painful goose bumps and chills. There are sounds, not sharp or loud, which actually feel like "tearing" in my mind, and cause almost physical pain to me. Unsharpened pencil on paper. Kleenex being even touched. That sound kills me. People rubbing their hands (or anybody part) against fabric. Markes being used on paper. I exclusively use moist toilet paper because of that. If I'm somewhere where there's only normal toilet paper, I need to wet my fingers and make several layers of toilet paper so it doesn't tear while using.

I get goose bumps from this so hard it actually hurts in my skin. And, this is no jokes, even my nipples hurt because my skin is contracting so hard. My peers often torture me with this, but I actually don't find it funny in any way.

GerbenD said:
But how come we don't experience these chills all the time then?

If I may, I can distill my experience with sudden chills for no apparent reason (other than thinking about them) to a potential being reached, in my case, mind you it is my own humble opinion, of histamine being released. Why I say this is because some time ago (I posted about it so you can check older posts), I was taking folic acid, about 400mg daily for months and months, and as I noted chill incidents, from music, from a creative thought, etc, etc... there was a common thread that for me at least appeared to intensify the experience, and that was folic acid's ability to stimulate the release of histamine (found this through stumbling into it online) in my body. I curtailed my folic acid intake, and low and behold I was not as easily able to cause an intense "chill sensation", it was still there, but muted and not as long lasting, I went back on the folic acid and after a week or two, the longer lasting intense chills returned. I admit that I did not conduct a double blind experiment where I took a placebo, to see if in fact that the effect was purely psychological, but I am more than 90% certain that it wasn't. I also noted that the longer I stayed off folic acid the longer it took when going back on it to achieve the same effect. One good side effect of not taking folic acid, I do not sneeze or react to airborne irritants as easily. The downside is that I miss the intense feeling that comes with a chill, but the realization that there is a chemical component to it (for me anyway) was surprising. That's about it, Gerben, your thoughts ?

Rhody...

P.S. Hi, Fuzzy, will post soon in the tequila thread, have some new stuff to share. Later...

Interesting, Taylor, Samoon and SamirS!

I like the idea of the body-music connection, Samoon.

Was "timbre" the word SamirS was thinking of? And yes, shape or form of music. It is hard to know where metaphore ends and synaesthesia begins, as music also can be described with colour, etc.

I hadn't thought of relating bad chills to musical chills, but agree it seems very relevant, and rather subjective although I feel the same way about Kleenex.

I look forward to your tequila post with new stuff, rhody! I tried Patron again last week. Leafy greens are still a favourite of mine and fortunately I don't suffer allergies.

fuzzyfelt said:
I thought it might be interesting to take a sample here of those who do or don’t experience it, or who may admit to, given the alternative names it has been given, etc. (I would understand any unwillingness to participate.) Some questions for affirmative answers would be-
1. Do you play any instruments?
2. Which genres do you like?

I do experience it, and play instruments and generally like all genres I know of, but probably less so music with lyrics that are overtly emotional.

I'm a musician, there are few genres I don't like - and I get chills big time - ime it has nothing to do with genre. Goosebumps covering both arms - the sensation is highly enjoyable.

Hi Caution Robot, thanks. I think the papers I'd read at the time said that chills might be more likely in musicians, and in those who enjoyed more complex music. From this thread, like I'd thought, that might not be the case. But I still wonder if there are correlations between the sort of musical trigger, vocals, resolutions, etc., and preferred genres.

I think it has a lot to do with association. For example, I'm generally not a fan of "dryness" as in Kleenex. I'm also the biggest hand lotion junkie you can find. I use up at least 2 - 3 100ml tubes a month solely for my hands.

The good chills, as with enjoyable music, is, for me, pretty much the same feeling I get when I have a huge insight into something and often even if I just think intensely about our universe and its vastness. It's pretty much the same feeling of awe and appreciation of beauty for me, usually accompanied by that tight feeling in the throat (which most people would associate with love?).

When I was younger I never had appreciation for, say, Pavarotti. Some years ago, I listened to his singing for the first time, and though I don't like opera, the vast volume, power, "pressure" and intensity of his voice was staggering. The hair on my arms looked like an angry cat. I'm sure the feeling is independent of the type of music; for me, I feel as if certain timbres (thanks for the word!) and vocal ranges just touch something primal, the appreciation of beauty humans are born with.

That's also the reason I dislike typical pop music. It's not because it's too "commercial" or too "mainstream"; I don't care for such categories. However, a lot of it is audibly auto-tuned to deliver a keywise perfect performance, and this for me is a very cold perfection!

I think it has a lot to do with association. For example, I'm generally not a fan of "dryness" as in Kleenex. I'm also the biggest hand lotion junkie you can find. I use up at least 2 - 3 100ml tubes a month solely for my hands.

The good chills, as with enjoyable music, is, for me, pretty much the same feeling I get when I have a huge insight into something and often even if I just think intensely about our universe and its vastness. It's pretty much the same feeling of awe and appreciation of beauty for me, usually accompanied by that tight feeling in the throat (which most people would associate with love?).

When I was younger I never had appreciation for, say, Pavarotti. Some years ago, I listened to his singing for the first time, and though I don't like opera, the vast volume, power, "pressure" and intensity of his voice was staggering. The hair on my arms looked like an angry cat. I'm sure the feeling is independent of the type of music; for me, I feel as if certain timbres (thanks for the word!) and vocal ranges just touch something primal, the appreciation of beauty humans are born with.

That's also the reason I dislike typical pop music. It's not because it's too "commercial" or too "mainstream"; I don't care for such categories. However, a lot of it is audibly auto-tuned to deliver a keywise perfect performance, and this for me is a very cold perfection!

I agree about dryness. I think somewhere in this thread I confessed to getting chills from humidity, although I think that is unusual, but it is for similar reasons of not being a fan of "dryness". And I think I see what is meant by cold perfection, too. That helps, thanks.

Caramon said:
Only from amazing music. Songs that do it:

Ratatat - Cherry
Ratatat - Grape Juice City
Andy Blueman - Sea Tides
And as well as these some AMAZING orchestral music can like 'To Zanarkand', especially when I'm playing it on the piano!

I get them from Ratatat-Cherry too. Such a great song, and it's so simple too! I get them a lot actually, but this video I saw recently gives me really strong ones all over my body.

probably cause I'm a huge Bob Marley fan

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video, thanks randomperson8!

I'm sitting in a course right now and there are several people who seem to have caught the common cold. Every time someone pops a Kleenex, I die a little bit inside.

My sympathies :)

Fuzzy,

I had a thought, this post has 260 replies and I was thinking we could colaborate, split the posts 50/50, then summarize (from gross detail to increaing levels of fine detail perhaps within categories of chill themes if you will) of all of the criteria that lead to a chill sensation. I am willing to be the list will be quite extensive.

Example:
  • Reason 1
  • Reason 2
  • Etc...

Rhody... P.S. This would probably not be a PF first, but a collaboration on a thread to summarize it probably would. Your thoughts ? This could take some time and a few review cycles before posting. Maybe this idea would spark others to consider researching and or summarizing in two's or a small group.

yep i get em. "lux aeterna" clint mansell does it. something wierd. i dream music but only "sultans of swing" dire straights. another thing i find if i listen to female vocalists i can avoid nightmares.

rhody said:
Fuzzy,

I had a thought, this post has 260 replies and I was thinking we could colaborate, split the posts 50/50, then summarize (from gross detail to increaing levels of fine detail perhaps within categories of chill themes if you will) of all of the criteria that lead to a chill sensation. I am willing to be the list will be quite extensive.

Example:
  • Reason 1
  • Reason 2
  • Etc...

Rhody... P.S. This would probably not be a PF first, but a collaboration on a thread to summarize it probably would. Your thoughts ? This could take some time and a few review cycles before posting. Maybe this idea would spark others to consider researching and or summarizing in two's or a small group.

Nice idea, thanks Rhody, it would be good to collaborate. I should be free in a day or two. Also, I really didn't put enough thought into thsi thread originally, so feel free to take this one over or start another or anything like that. Back in a bit.

Also, interesting comments, Darken-Sol. Funny you only dream "Sultans of Swing". Good choice!

fuzzyfelt said:
Nice idea, thanks Rhody, it would be good to collaborate. I should be free in a day or two. Also, I really didn't put enough thought into thsi thread originally, so feel free to take this one over or start another or anything like that. Back in a bit.
Fuzzy,

I think it would be cool for folks to see the chill list in one feel swoop, like I did in the brain plasticity thread. That way people who have something NOT on the list will be more inclined to add their "new addition" because of the condensed summary.

Rhody... :approve:

Back again, Rhody. Sounds good. So, to split the posts, which half would you like? And thanks for your help.

fuzzyfelt said:
Back again, Rhody. Sounds good. So, to split the posts, which half would you like? And thanks for your help.

I will take the second half, you take the first, when you get done, PM me we will compare/consolidate, reword for clarity as necessary then combine them. I will start this weekend. It is an iterative processes. I may learn something new or get some insight that is "hidden in the data", at least that is what I am hoping, effort sometimes but not always equals reward.

Rhody... :cool:

Good! I'll get to work, thanks again, Rhody.

I have a new one to add, picked up the bike after 600 break-in at the dealer, they removed the 9K rev limit, and gradually rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear, once the revs got beyond 9K I got the biggest chill from the noise of the formula one type exhaust note, I rolled off, then rolled on again this time harder, and the visceral acceleration combined with the exhaust note did it again, a bit stronger this time. On the way home from the shop, about 20 miles, it happened a few more times, and at just normal riding pace, nothing I hadn't done in the first 600 miles of riding. Now that I think back about it, I think my brain was replaying the first two incidents in the "background" so to speak. Very powerful, now I have an inkling why for some it becomes an addiction, the anticipation is the key, actually experiencing the event is just a bonus. Amazing...

On a practical note, the only reason to head into this zone is on the track, if I put myself in a cage (car) and had someone pass me on my bike without me knowing they were there above 9K, it would scare the **** out of me. I wouldn't want to experience that on a regular basis.

I haven't ridden a stock bike with a stock very suppressed exhaust, so the sensation may not be there or may not be as intense. I will try to find someone with a stock exhaust and swap bikes and report back.

Fuzzy, I will start on consolidation of the second half of posts this weekend, the crappier the weather, the more I will accomplish, hehe...

Rhody... :bugeye: :redface: :smile:

Visceral acceleration combined with exhaust note of your bike- how perfect! Engine sounds have been mentioned before here, too.

I realize consolidation is harder than I guessed, but I've made a start.

This artist's songs always give me chills

and

I feel like the chills are when we hit peak emotional arousal. The music that you feel the most represents a part of who you are and what you believe in. If you think in terms of vibrations, when we experience the chills we are vibrating at a higher rate. Higher vibrations represents more intense emotions.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/v/zzXoyvvLWo4?version=3&hl=en_GB" I posted in my "runway" thread. I have watched it at least ten times and it never fails to give me chills, because it has the elements of tension, danger, incredible photography, and music all blended to great effect. See if it works for you too. In case I forget, Happy (early) 4th of July all. That includes you too Fuzzy, make it a great one...

Rhody... :biggrin:

rhody said:
Here is a http://www.youtube.com/v/zzXoyvvLWo4?version=3&hl=en_GB" I posted in my "runway" thread. I have watched it at least ten times and it never fails to give me chills, because it has the elements of tension, danger, incredible photography, and music all blended to great effect. See if it works for you too. In case I forget, Happy (early) 4th of July all. That includes you too Fuzzy, make it a great one...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Fantastic Rhody! Happy 4th to you too!

Xengo said:
This artist's songs always give me chills

and

I feel like the chills are when we hit peak emotional arousal. The music that you feel the most represents a part of who you are and what you believe in. If you think in terms of vibrations, when we experience the chills we are vibrating at a higher rate. Higher vibrations represents more intense emotions.

I missed this, nice music and thoughts.

Did you check out "Brendan's Death Song" from the latest RHCP album? In the second verse there are these high guitar tones in the background. They give me chills every time I merely think about them, not to mention actually listening to them.

haael said:
Did you check out "Brendan's Death Song" from the latest RHCP album? In the second verse there are these high guitar tones in the background. They give me chills every time I merely think about them, not to mention actually listening to them.
haael,

Do you have a link ? Or is the song new and not posted in some uTube video yet ?

Rhody...

The drums are amazing, too! Here is a link-

Thanks haael.

fuzzyfelt said:
The drums are amazing, too! I'll find a link, but I'm not great with imbedding. Thanks haael.
Fuzzy,

Should we stick with the plan we hatched a couple months ago, I have our consolidated list, I need to make sure it is correct. I like this thread and it seems others have found value here as well, what I like to refer to as peace, and peace of mind. Should I post it ? I decided to add my observations about OCD in a separate thread I will start, haven't yet, of my own. It deserves it's own place, so to speak. Let me know, PM me, if you wish I will leave it up to you.

Rhody... :wink:

That is great, Rhody, thanks.

This has been a long time coming, longer than fuzzy and I expected, I hope everyone likes it.

What follows summarizes chill responses to music and other stimuli. General followed by specific examples are listed. We have tried to stay true to the original posters intent, hopefully we have succeeded. Please feel free to correct us if we have made any errors. This thread has been beneficial to myself and lots of others who have contributed here. Hopefully it will serve as a shot in the arm and benefit from more great input.

• Donwado's chill response to music
  • first and may times after hearing particular music
  • waves of electricity on skin's surface
  • starts at the base of neck, radiating down arms, back and legs
  • takes about .5 to 3 seconds to fully radiate out and dissipate when it reaching toes and wrists
  • listening to a particular song it happened about 15-20 times in fairly rapid succession
  • near the end of the song became so overwhelming almost started crying
  • song was upbeat, not sad, felt like tears of happiness/joy, skin orgasm
  • Famous Speeches/Truth, MLK's I have a Dream speech
  • writing about it

• Lisab's chill response to music
  • not first time hearing piece of music
  • from emotions evoked by lyric, and in the singer's voice
  • later found that a piece of music triggered chills when heard for the first time
  • has felt it is associated with emotions, not structure, e.g. regret

• Danger's chill response to music
  • something intense that gets my attention part-way into a song, superb vocals
  • catchy instrumental work (with no vocals)
  • believes it happens because it is a reminder of a situation or even specific incident
  • literature evokes chills
  • suggests high/difficult vocal notes
  • considers limbic system involvement

• Turbo's chill response to music
  • live performance through a great sound-system AND seeing them from the front row did the trick
  • new and impressive music
  • it settles after repeated listenings, but never entirely goes away
  • as a young guitarist particularly appreciated the tight control and over-the-top vibrato
  • compositional excellence may not produce chill, whereas raucous blue does
  • drums important (to chills or no?)

• Fuzzy’s chill response to music, animal responses to music, synergy, humor and possible animal chills
  • first time hearing piece of music
  • may require a combination of musical or sound elements
  • possible factors so far have included pitch or tone (with voice, guitar, violin, piano…), beat and percussion instruments, memories, emotion (including emotional lyrics or that contained in the voice or seemingly in an instrument) and one that seemed to strike a chord with a few of us-resolution
  • amount of humidity in the air
  • most genres, but not too obviously emotional
  • possibly more with classical music, vocals or duets
  • tears possibly from awe, cathartic, Adorno’s essay about mourning
  • emotional manipulation: http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2010/05/20/rsbl.2010.0333.abstract"
  • synergy: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo....haverford.edu/dspace/b...2007FieldB.pdf[/url
  • trumpets, violin, reggae/ska back beat
  • volume
  • some attention
  • Birds seem to enjoy music
  • Chimps experience awe, so possibly chills
  • humour (Panksepp’s rats)

• Rhody's chill response, not just to music
  • replacing worry, anxiety with anticipatory thoughts of positive actions or plans
  • parts of brain involved: orbital frontal cortex, cingulate gyrus, and caudate nucleus. the gearshift that allows thoughts to flow from one thought to the next
  • worry lessens when: you focus on a new (pleasant) activity, you keep the caudate nucleus from getting stuck, by growing new circuits in it. Note: the amgydala is involved as well, more on that later
  • thinking about some fantastic idea or piece of music, or after stopping listening to music and imagining it, believe's chill experience breaks OCD cycle
  • credible evidence that proves that an orgasm by thought alone is possible, and that some areas of the brain are shared between chills and female orgasm
  • memory triggered by Andre's niece picture, of a similar incident in college that conveyed indescribable and fleeting feeling of seeing a woman's hair at a precise moment and in setting sunlight, powerful
  • cutting out folic acid 400mg per day lessens chill response, histamine release, progresses to less reaction as each day passes without folic acid intake
  • while relaxed in a beautiful sun setting environment, chills from anticipation of carrying put an idea, mainly a feeling that was non-verbal, hard to describe, because there were no words to associate the feeling with, just the feeling itself
  • sudden feeling of awe and appreciation of beauty at a fleeting moment during sunset lasting about a minute and a half
  • maximum number of chill cycles is about 3 lasting no more than 90 seconds
  • during a cycle of chills experienced good feelings followed by unusual "suppressed sadness", followed by a weaker shorter chill that was pleasant
  • I can distill my experience with sudden chills for no apparent reason (other than thinking about them) to a potential being reached, in my case, mind you it is my own humble opinion, of histamine being released. Did experiment cutting folic acid out for weeks and then adding it again, and after a waning off the chills were not as intense, long lasting, and after adding it after a number of days it grew intense again. Repeated this twice and got the same reaction each time, so I am pretty sure it works (for me anyway) as I described
  • I have a new one to add, picked up the bike after 600 break-in at the dealer, they removed the 9K rev limit, and gradually rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear, once the revs got beyond 9K I got the biggest chill from the noise of the formula one type exhaust note, I rolled off, then rolled on again this time harder, and the visceral acceleration combined with the exhaust note did it again, a bit stronger this time. On the way home from the shop, about 20 miles, it happened a few more times, and at just normal riding pace, nothing I hadn't done in the first 600 miles of riding. Now that I think back about it, I think my brain was replaying the first two incidents in the "background" so to speak. Very powerful, now I have an inkling why for some it becomes an addiction, the anticipation is the key, actually experiencing the event is just a bonus
  • another experience is chills followed by profound sadness

• Andre's chill response not just to music
  • tends to believe first time hearing piece of music
  • when hearing music develop the way I expect it to
  • music that didn't do it during childhood, does now as an adult
  • solving a "Where's that Landmark Puzzle"
  • picture's that convey an ethereal quality
  • some music
  • duets (?)
  • genre not important
  • regarding classical, Beethoven but not Mozart
  • attention
  • volume can suppress (?)
  • patriotism

• Borek's chill response not just to music
  • first hearing music, testing organs before a concert, intro to Money for nothing

• GerbenD's chill response, not just to music
  • riding home on my bicycle, so I guess that riding a bicycle doesn't take too much attention
  • the chill comes up when there is some sort of element of surprise
  • the first notes would trigger your brain to come up with expectations
  • when I listen to one of the pieces that I know will cause this feeling and I skip ahead to where the chill should come up, it doesn't happen
  • it seems to also be possible to experience these chills without a change in music (right from the start)
  • on the one hand it would be possible to prepare a kind of state of expectation in our minds so the change will have an impact
  • it seems to me that to find a common cause in music will result in finding links between music and other causes of chills. The only common cause seems to be change, surprise

Tubba Bubba’s chill response to music and other things
  • hasn’t experienced much that chills for > 2 years
  • musical chills may be memory of use in film
  • piano and violin
  • ‘chills from "awesome moments" in movies, shows, video games and the like’

Waht’s chill response to music
  • only classical music

Academic’s chill response to music and other art forms (n/m, but very conversant with music)
  • most genres aside from punk and metal, which Academic doesn’t enjoy as much
  • of other art forms, literature particularly. Written or even oral speech with a profound idea.

Wolram’s chill response to music and sound
  • no chills from music

Glueball’s chill response to music
  • violinist who particularly appreciates (extremely good) violin recitals

Dembadon’s chill response to musi
  • usually from vocals, when a singer hits a particularly high/difficult note
  • from instruments, too

Om Cheeto’s chill response to music
  • experienced for >35 years

Gentleman beside Om Cheeto’s chill response to music
  • gets them too

S_happens’ chill response to music
  • new and impressive music
  • settles after repeated listenings, but never entirely goes away

Pythagorean’s chill response to music
  • particularly theatrical music (A lot of classical music works too for this reason)
  • if it doesn't change moods throughout the piece, it's usually not as effective.

Leptos’ self induced chills
  • I sometimes get this feeling of blood flow increasing to my head and it feels a little warm. I'm actually able to control it and induce it as often as I'd like, i.e., I can give myself these "chills" through internal stimulus alone.

AJBentley’s chill response to music
  • 60's Folk-pop
  • Baroque

BB King’s chill response
  • Peter Green’s guitar tone

Galteeth’s chill response to music (non musician but works with music)
  • ihasn’t noticed “goosebumps” but profound, immediate experience
  • ialmost exclusively from punk

The Riddler’s chill response to music
  • ia lot, particularly from rock (plays guitar)

Alt’s chill response to music and literature
  • ilistening to certain music, e.g. “after the slow sleepy melancholic organ, that SHARP, distorted guitar rift that leaps in” (vast contrast?)
  • imagining listening to certain music (I have to be calm, relaxed, not stressed and have -my mind basically open and in an idling state)
  • realizing a possible solution to a problem
  • reading about surprising information
  • when internally reciting profound (imo) poetry
  • when in a sleepy state, and pushing the mind to think about infinity .. lol ..

Antiphon’s chill response to music
  • various genres, including baroque and including rock
  • particularly speed/skill (?)

Ithina’s response chill to music and film, etc...
  • no chills from listening, doesn’t enjoy listening to music, only playing and composing
  • chills from film or doing something he/she loves

TurtleMeister’s chill response to music
  • neither genre nor instrument important

Mandark’s chill response to self induced, musical and film
  • can self induce at will, but not as powerful
  • film, heroic, inspirational scene
  • music via high, long, emotional note
  • “starts in upper back and neck then extends down the back and along to the arms and head, and if strong enough, to the legs.”

Ouabache’s chill response to music/synergy
  • many genres
  • feels it is a matter of personal taste
  • more intense in adulthood
  • percussional instruments
  • building in intensity, feeling the emotion of the composer, culminates in the introduction of the full chorus
  • feel composer’s hard work and hardships overcome
  • evokes chills and tears of joy
  • emotions (of composer) felt and relayed by the performer to others (e.g. faces of BB King, Itzhak Perlman
  • (So) Apparently the synergy of visual and auditory stimulation, heighten these emotions.

Loren Booda’s chill response to music and girlfriend
  • superb music gives chills with flashbacks with profound emotions
  • different chills seeing girlfriend

Brainstorm’s chill response to music/synergy
  • synergy again
  • as punctuation and narration for visuals (film) “Music builds tension to tell the audience to get ready for something big to happen, or it sings for joy for you so that your heart can feel elated at a certain outcome. Film music basically scripts the audience's emotions”
  • this may happen in daily lives

Negatron’s chill response to music
  • Yes and finds them frustrating. Sound causes perspiration.

Logger’s chill response to music
  • only from “Prince”

Imiyakawa’s response to musical chills and science
  • on listening to music, but not repeatedly
  • on hearing Sagan’s science remixes, different to musical chills, brain “gasm”

Billiard’s and Marcus du Sautoy’s chill response to music and maths
  • musical chills, particularly with live music
  • interestingly, at a recent lecture I attended, the mathematician Marcus Du Sautoy compared his experience of musical chills to the chills he got when uncovering mathematical beauty. He said that most people can hear a piece of beautiful music and experience chills, but he can get the same feeling from just looking at a beautiful equation”
  • if he discovers an equation then that feeling is magnified greatly.

TheSatutoryApe’s response to musical chills, math and literature (N/M)
  • female vocals
  • “anticipation. Build ups and change ups, most significantly, as well as particularly evocative sounds and combinations of sounds." e.g. ska’s off beat for anticipation
  • Contrasts
  • emotional evocativeness, e.g. blues, “Zombie”, punk, Beethoven
  • alternatively subtlety in music
  • subtlety in mathematical elegance
  • subtlety in literature, particularly for Stats, satire
  • synergy of witty, insightful, efficient, musical, rhythmical lyrics (phd level)
  • e.g. rap, also using contrast and anticipation

Leetchaos’ response to musical chills
  • best experience was unexpected
  • “It feels like waves of electricity on the surface of my skin, it starts at the base of my neck and very quickly radiates out down my arms, back and legs. It takes about .5 to 3 seconds to fully radiate out and dissipate when it reaches my toes and wrists. Today while listening to a particular song it happened about 15-20 times in fairly rapid succession. “
  • “Near the end it became so overwhelming I almost started crying and my eyes welled up. The song I was listening to was very upbeat not sad at all and the tears felt like tears of happiness/joy, it really was a skin orgasm.”
  • doesn’t recall frisson from other stimulus

Rhody... Fuzzyfelt... :cool: :approve: