Musing on which element discussed most in physics class

In summary: If one discusses stars, then H/D and He would be discussed, and C, N, O. Some classrooms prefer this order, while others prefer C, N, O.
CPW
My child is learning the periodic table for science class, memorizing elements 1 - 20. Middle school.
While I assisted, I mused on the elements and on which are discussed most in physics classes.
Here is my ranking of the top three:
1. Z=1
2. Z=2
3. Z=92

Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somehow I think carbon is much more important than helium or uranium. The top four are probably CHON - the stuff of life.

The question isn't which are important, it's which get talked about in physics classes.

Likes CPW
CPW said:
1. Z=1
2. Z=2
3. Z=92

Do you agree?
You missed Si.

Likes collinsmark, Vanadium 50, hutchphd and 1 other person
I don't recall any elements getting discussed in a mechanics class. Hydrogen and helium is more an astronomy thing. I suppose uranium might come up if the atomic bomb were discussed.

Likes Astronuc
CPW said:
My child is learning the periodic table for science class, memorizing elements 1 - 20. Middle school.
While I assisted, I mused on the elements and on which are discussed most in physics classes.
1. Z=1
2. Z=2
3. Z=92

Do you agree?
The element discussed depends on the subject at hand. Hydrogen (proton) is perhaps discussed in terms of it's simplicity. In EM/QM/Astronomy, one is likely to discuss Lyman, Balmer and Paschen spectral lines. He would be next. If one discusses stars, then H/D and He would be discussed, and C, N, O. Digging deeper, one might get into Li, Be, B as well as C, N, O. Life science related topics would certainly involve H, C, N, O.

If one discusses planets or geological topics, then certainly Al, Si, O, and probably Na, Mg, P, S, Cl as well. If one discusses minerals, crystals, X-ray diffraction, then one might add additional common light elements.

Nuclear science topics, e.g., natural decays series would certainly involve U, but perhaps all elements (and their isotopes from Bi/Pb on up). http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Nuclear/radser.html

I would recommend printing a copy of the periodic table and posting it in the child's room.
https://www.nist.gov/system/files/documents/2019/12/10/nist_periodictable_july2019.pdf

I have it saved on my computer desktops for quick reference. Note the rows and columns.

Transition elements begin with Scandium (Sc), a rather rare and expensive element, but it is an important alloying element with Al. Note the elements, Ti and V, which are important light elements used in structural alloys. Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni are used in a variety of structural alloys, e.g., steels, stainless steels (predominantly Fe), Ni-based superalloys, Co-based superalloys, . . . Cu is an important conductor, Si and Ge are important for semiconductors, and in fact, SiC is an important structural ceramic and semiconductor.

Edit/update: One could also consider Ca a structural element, a principal component of animal skeletons (bones) and exoskeletons, and limestone CaCO3.

Calcium is the most abundant metal and the fifth-most abundant element in the human body.[5] As electrolytes, calcium ions (Ca2+) play a vital role in the physiological and biochemical processes of organisms and cells: in signal transduction pathways where they act as a second messenger; in neurotransmitter release from neurons; in contraction of all muscle cell types; as cofactors in many enzymes; and in fertilization.[5] Calcium ions outside cells are important for maintaining the potential difference across excitable cell membranes, protein synthesis, and bone formation.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, 256bits, CPW and 1 other person
Hornbein said:
Hydrogen and helium is more an astronomy thing.
How can we forget QM?

Likes robphy and hutchphd
I just looked at Halliday, Resnick and Walker, 9th edition. From the index, including applications:

• Hydrogen: 47 references.(excluding references to protons)
  • Helium: 11 (including alpha particles)
  • Carbon: 17 (includes allotropic forms)
  • Oxygen: 15 (includes oxides, excludes water)
  • Neon: 4
  • Sodium: 8
  • Aluminum: 2
  • Silicon: 4
  • Iron: 14 (includes steel)
  • Copper: 36
  • Gold: 3
  • Mercury: 4
  • Lead: 7
  • Radon: 2
  • Uranium: 42

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes CPW, berkeman and Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
Sodium: 8
Is chlorine (Cl) mentioned in conjunction with Na, as in NaCl?

I looked for an index for Halliday, Resnick and Walker, 9th edition on line, but I could not find one, just TOC.

How about the "element of surprise" ??

As in my favorite question: "is that going to be on the test"?

/

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Astronuc said:
The element discussed depends on the subject at hand ...
That is a CliffsNotes summary.:smile:

Although,
Astronuc said:
He/She/They would be next.
is more acceptable in some classrooms

1. What is the most commonly discussed element in physics class?

The most commonly discussed element in physics class is hydrogen. It is the most abundant element in the universe and is the simplest element, making it a key component in many physical phenomena.

2. Why is hydrogen important in physics?

Hydrogen is important in physics because it is the lightest element and has the simplest atomic structure, making it a useful tool for understanding more complex elements and systems. It is also involved in many chemical reactions and is a key component in the formation of stars and galaxies.

3. How is hydrogen used in physics experiments?

Hydrogen is often used in physics experiments as a source of energy or as a reactant in chemical reactions. It is also used in particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions and study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. What are some interesting properties of hydrogen?

Hydrogen has several interesting properties, including being the only element that exists in all three states of matter (solid, liquid, and gas) at room temperature. It also has the highest specific heat capacity of all elements, meaning it can absorb a lot of energy before changing temperature.

5. How does hydrogen play a role in the study of the universe?

Hydrogen plays a crucial role in the study of the universe as it is the most abundant element and is a key component in the formation of stars and galaxies. By studying the properties and behavior of hydrogen, scientists can gain a better understanding of the origins and evolution of our universe.