Mutation - Addition/Deletion

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mutation
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in severity between the addition or deletion of one base and three bases in a protein coding sequence. The individual asking the question is curious about why the addition or deletion of one base is more severe, as it would still result in the change of the enzyme's shape. The other person suggests looking into the triplet code to understand this concept further.
crays
Hi, i would like to ask why is addition or deletion of one base in mutation is not as severe as addition or deletion of 3 base in mutation? If it were to make enzyme the shape would be gone right?

Biology news on Phys.org
Addition or deletion of one base in a protein coding sequence is much more severe than addition or deletion of 3 bases.

crays said:
Hi, i would like to ask why is addition or deletion of one base in mutation is not as severe as addition or deletion of 3 base in mutation? If it were to make enzyme the shape would be gone right?

Er, isn't this exactly the wrong way round? And wasn't that the first evidence produced for the triplet code? Check your books.

Woopz, i apologize. I typed wrongly. Yeah, but why is addition/deletion of 1 base much more severe than the addition/deletion of 3 base? The shape would still be gone right?

Well I mentioned the triplet code so, unusually for biology, you could maybe work it out in theory as one is supposed to do at this site. Even if you know rather little about 'translation'. As they knew little about translation when they worked it out originally.

1. What is a mutation?

A mutation is a change in the genetic material (DNA) of an organism. This can occur naturally or be induced by environmental factors.

2. What is a mutation - addition/deletion?

A mutation - addition/deletion, also known as an insertion or deletion, is when one or more nucleotides are added or removed from the DNA sequence. This can result in a shift in the reading frame and potentially change the amino acid sequence of the protein being produced.

3. How does mutation - addition/deletion occur?

Mutation - addition/deletion can occur spontaneously during DNA replication or be caused by external factors such as exposure to radiation or chemicals.

4. What are the effects of mutation - addition/deletion?

The effects of mutation - addition/deletion can vary depending on the location and size of the mutation. In some cases, it may lead to a non-functional protein or cause a genetic disorder. However, it can also introduce new genetic variations that may be beneficial for the organism.

5. Can mutation - addition/deletion be reversed?

In some cases, the effects of mutation - addition/deletion can be reversed through DNA repair mechanisms. However, once the mutation has been passed on to subsequent generations, it cannot be reversed.