How Is Mutual Energy Calculated Between Non-Parallel Dipoles?

In summary: U = -p.E = -integral of (p.grad)E.dl = -integral of p.E.grad.dl = -integral of p.E.dl= -p.ESo in summary, the mutual energy between two dipoles p1 and p2 can be calculated using the equation U=-\frac{p_1\cdot p_2}{|r|^3}-3\frac{(p_1\cdot r)(p_2\cdot r)}{|r|^5} where r is the vector from p_1 to p_2. This can also be expressed as U = -p.E where p is the electric dipole moment and E is the electric field. Similarly,
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to show that the mutual energy between two dioples p1 and p2 (not necessarily parallel to each other) is [tex] U=-\frac{p_1\cdot p_2}{|r|^3}-3\frac{(p_1\cdot r)(p_2\cdot r)}{|r|^5}[/tex]
where r is the vector from p_1 to p_2. (the p's are moments of diople).

i tried using this equation: [tex]U=\int dV \rho_2 * \phi_1 [/tex]
and also this :[tex]\phi=\frac{p\cdot r}{|r|^3}[/tex]
(phi is the potential and rho is the density).
[tex]\rho_2=-1/4\pi\nabla^2\phi_2=-1/4\pi[\frac{1}{|r|^2}@/@r(r^2@\phi/@r)+\frac{1}{|r|^2*sin(\theta)}@/@\theta(sin(\theta)@\phi/@\theta)][/tex]
where @ stands for peratial derivative, but i didnt get to the desired answer.
any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about

[tex]U=-{m\cdot B}[/tex]

where m is the vector for one of the dipoles in field B from the other dipole.

you'll have to dig the equation for the field (B) of dipole, too, I reckon.

by B, you mean the magnetic field, well i haven't learned it yet (i mean we haven't touched it in class as of yet, i myself read it form purcell), i pretty much sure i don't need here to use B, perhaps something else?

So these are electric dipoles then? I guess p usually denotes electric dipole and m is for magnetic dipole.

anyway, same equation, just:

U = -p.E

instead of -m.B

and dig up the E field for an electric dipole

well for E i found already, shouldn't i prove that it equals p.E? or in other words how to derive it?

loop quantum gravity said:
well for E i found already, shouldn't i prove that it equals p.E? or in other words how to derive it?

If you want to find a derivation for U = -p.E, you might also remember that potential Energy is

the integral of F.dl

and the Force from a dipole is

F = (p.grad)E

Related to How Is Mutual Energy Calculated Between Non-Parallel Dipoles?

1. What is the definition of mutual energy?

Mutual energy refers to the potential energy that exists between two interacting dipoles.

2. How is mutual energy calculated?

Mutual energy can be calculated using the equation U = -p1 * E2, where p1 is the dipole moment of one dipole and E2 is the electric field created by the other dipole.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of mutual energy?

The magnitude of mutual energy is affected by the distance between the two dipoles, the strength of their dipole moments, and the angle between their dipole moments.

4. How does mutual energy differ from self-energy?

Self-energy refers to the potential energy that exists within a single dipole, while mutual energy refers to the potential energy between two interacting dipoles.

5. What is the significance of mutual energy in physics and chemistry?

Mutual energy is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of dipoles and their interactions in various fields such as electrostatics, magnetism, and molecular interactions. It helps explain phenomena such as molecular bonding, repulsion, and orientation in electric fields.