Mutual force between AC current carrying wires

In summary: I is the current in the return wire.If the other wire is moved closer to the first wire so that they are in contact, the B field will decrease because the current in the return wire will be balanced by the current in the contact wire.Now the repulsive force per unit length on the return wire will be F = μ0 * I2 / ( 2 * π * d) where μ0 is the permeability of free space and I is the current in the return wire.This force is the same in either direction because the current in the two wires are in opposite directions.In summary, the two wires will attract and repel depending on the
fog37
Hello Everyone,

I have wondered about this for a while but have not found a book or article that deals with this topic.

Two wires carrying DC currents directed in the same direction attract each other (repel if the currents go in opposite directions).

What happens if the currents in the two wires are AC instead of DC? I think it depends on the frequency and length of the wire. Some sections of the wires will attract while other sections will repel. The final effect will be determined by the net force from the various pairs of segments.

What do you think?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks.

Ok, that assume that each segment on one of the wires faces a segment on the other wire two having current going in the opposite direction. So overall there would be a repulsion between the two wires. That is if the two wires have equal length and the currents are 180 out of phase.

but if the currents relative phase is not 180, I guess the net force could be attractive...

Based on the rule you've given, the two wires will be attracted everywhere except for a nil force in some spots if the currents are in phase, and will be repelled everywhere except for a nil force in some spots if the currents are 180 degrees out of phase. For any other phase difference, they will attract in some places and repel in others - eg consider the sin and cos functions, which are sometimes both the same sign and sometimes different. I expect the net force will be attraction if the phase diff is less than 90, otherwise repulsive.

Where does this force come from though? I can't see how it would arise from Maxwell's equations. Is it a quantum thing, or am I missing something obvious in Maxwell?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
andrewkirk said:
Where does this force come from though? I can't see how it would arise from Maxwell's equations. Is it a quantum thing, or am I missing something obvious in Maxwell?

It comes from the Lorentz force acting on the moving electrons in the wires. The moving electrons in one wire generate a circulating B-field around that wire that causes the Lorentz force on the moving electrons in the other wire, and visa-versa... :smile:

Likes andrewkirk
Consider a return circuit of two wires separated by distance, d, with equal and opposite DC current in the two wires.
Now if one wire is fixed it will generate a B field proportional to the current in the region of the return wire.
The repulsive force per unit length on the return wire will be F = μ0 * I2 / ( 2 * π * d)

What is mutual force between AC current carrying wires?

Mutual force between AC current carrying wires is the attraction or repulsion force that exists between two parallel wires that are carrying alternating currents in the same direction. This force is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields generated by the currents in each wire.

What factors affect the mutual force between AC current carrying wires?

The mutual force between AC current carrying wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through each wire, and the frequency of the alternating current. The angle between the wires and the direction of the current also play a role in determining the strength of the force.

How is the mutual force between AC current carrying wires calculated?

The mutual force between AC current carrying wires can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0/2π) x (I1 x I2 x l)/d, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in each wire, l is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What is the direction of the mutual force between AC current carrying wires?

The direction of the mutual force between AC current carrying wires depends on the direction of the currents in each wire. If the currents are in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force. If the currents are in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

How does the mutual force between AC current carrying wires affect the wires themselves?

The mutual force between AC current carrying wires can cause the wires to move closer together or further apart depending on the direction of the force. This force can also cause the wires to vibrate, which can lead to wear and tear over time. Additionally, the mutual force can cause the wires to heat up due to the energy dissipated by the current, which can affect the overall performance of the wires.