My app has a generic Android icon when I download it from Google Play

In summary: The app appears on my phone with the generic Android icon even after I've uploaded a new icon.In summary, the app's icon appears on the phone with a generic Android logo instead of the app's icon when downloaded from Google Play.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I've uploaded an app to Google Play with its own icon. When I download it, the icon that shows on my phone for my app is the generic Android one.
Hi everyone

I've uploaded an app to Google play with its own icon. This icon shows on my phone when I run the app from Android Studio. However, when I download my app from Google play, is appears on my phone with a generic Android logo instead.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? I've seen it happen with other apps too. They'll appear on the Store listing with a custom icon, but appear on my phone with the generic Android icon.

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Likes Darkmisc
No, it shows up on other phones with the generic Android icon too.

Okay that kind of implies that it’s a developer issue like the pixel dims, or color depth or file name or directory placement of the icon or even some install step. You will need to compare your install setup with other working examples to discover why.

Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
No, it shows up on other phones with the generic Android icon too.
Have you set the icon properly in your Manifest.xml file?

New Android projects in AS have that default icon. You need to change it, and link it properly in the Manifest file.

• Informative
Likes Darkmisc, jedishrfu and berkeman
I think so.

I have these lines in the manifest, and the icon appears next to those lines.

manifest:
 android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher"
 android:roundIcon="@mipmap/ic_launcher_round"

Hmm. If your app is on Google Play, can you link to it so that we can do some testing?

Is this occurring only on certain Android versions? Can you reproduce the behaviour on other (physical) devices and other Android versions (physical/emulator)?

Likes Darkmisc
Also, if you are on Linux, can you show the output of the following command, executed inside the res directory?
Bash:
tree -R -P "ic_launcher*" --prune

Thanks. I've uploaded it again with new dimensions. Just waiting for Google Play to update to see if it works.

I'm not on Linux.

Likes Wrichik Basu
divyamiller said:
Your app's Google Play listing and the downloaded version may display different icons due to an incomplete icon configuration. Google Play requires an "adaptive icon" format, which includes various shapes and sizes to adapt to different device interfaces. Ensure you've uploaded all necessary variations in the correct format, then revisit the Play Store after a few hours for the update to propagate. If the generic icon persists, contact Google Play support for further troubleshooting.
I ended up fixing it, although I can't remember exactly how. I think I just needed to change one line in the xml file. I've been using only Godot for a few months, so I forgot a lot of what I used to do with Android Studio.

I understand you guys are probably working with your own or 3rd party apps.
But what might be the problem if a major app is showing the wrong icon?
My Samsung "SmartThings" app is showing a generic icon; (not the android robot icon) specifically it is 3 dots connected by 2 lines, almost like the share symbol that is located on the blue date headers on this page. It's on the right side of the headers, right next to a number (#10, #9, etc.). It looks just like that symbol, except the dots are solid, not an outline. All my other apps on my phone are fine; it's just this one app.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the app; I've restarted my phone; I've cleared the storage data from my "Microsoft Launcher" & "SmartThings" apps, restarted my phone again; and nothing fixes it. It shows correctly in the play store when I re-downloaded the app; but the icon on my phone is still that symbol. I think it's a share symbol or something; looks like a chemistry symbol to me; IDK.

Can anyone tell me what else I could try to fix it? It doesn't impact the app's performance, but I have a little OCD and it's killing me inside, lol.