My Bionic Quest for Boléro [Wired Magazine]

• Medical
  • Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the author's experience with a cochlear implant and how it affected his hearing. The implant initially helped him understand speech, but it did not improve his ability to enjoy music. The author then went on a quest to explore the edges of auditory science in hopes of finding a solution. The article also touches on the potential for advancements in cybernetics and the individualized nature of these technologies.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In early September, the surgeon drilled a tunnel through an inch and a half of bone behind my left ear and inserted the 16 electrodes along the auditory nerve fibers in my cochlea. He hollowed a well in my skull about the size of three stacked quarters and snapped in the implant.

When the device was turned on a month after surgery, the first sentence I heard sounded like "Zzzzzz szz szvizzz ur brfzzzzzz?" My brain gradually learned how to interpret the alien signal. Before long, "Zzzzzz szz szvizzz ur brfzzzzzz?" became "What did you have for breakfast?" After months of practice, I could use the telephone again, even converse in loud bars and cafeterias. In many ways, my hearing was better than it had ever been. Except when I listened to music.

I could hear the drums of Boléro just fine. But the other instruments were flat and dull. The flutes and soprano saxophones sounded as though someone had clapped pillows over them. The oboes and violins had become groans. It was like walking color-blind through a Paul Klee exhibit. I played Boléro again and again, hoping that practice would bring it, too, back to life. It didn't.

The implant was embedded in my head; it wasn't some flawed hearing aid I could just send back. But it was a computer. Which meant that, at least in theory, its effectiveness was limited only by the ingenuity of software engineers. As researchers learn more about how the ear works, they continually revise cochlear implant software. Users await new releases with all the anticipation of Apple zealots lining up for the latest Mac OS.

About a year after I received the implant, I asked one implant engineer how much of the device's hardware capacity was being used. "Five percent, maybe." He shrugged. "Ten, tops."

I was determined to use that other 90 percent. I set out on a crusade to explore the edges of auditory science. For two years tugging on the sleeves of scientists and engineers around the country, offering myself as a guinea pig for their experiments. I wanted to hear Boléro again.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/bolero.html

A long but fascinating, enthralling, and well-written article. It seems like the science fiction vision of cybernetics is really starting to come to reality when a man can alter the efficacy and subjective quality of his hearing just by downloading new software onto a prosthetic device.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thats a really cool article. I think some places are trying to develop an implant for memory as well. Still a loooooong way to go in developing cybernetic technology that actually works. Part of this though, I think is due to what they were talking about in the article, each persons physiology is different.

It's amazing to think about the possibilities for people with hearing impairments - not just to restore their hearing, but to potentially enhance it beyond what is considered "normal".

It's also interesting to see the author's determination to fully utilize his implant and push the boundaries of auditory science. It's a reminder that technology is constantly evolving and there is always room for improvement and innovation. The fact that the engineer mentioned that only 5-10% of the device's capacity was being used is a testament to the potential for further advancements in this field.

The author's quest to hear Boléro again is a powerful example of the impact that music can have on our lives. It's not just about hearing the notes, but also about experiencing the emotions and nuances that come with it. It's a reminder that technology should always strive to enhance our human experiences, not just provide functional solutions.

Overall, this article is a thought-provoking and inspiring read. It sheds light on the incredible advancements in medical technology and the potential for even more breakthroughs in the future. It also highlights the importance of music and the power it holds in our lives. Thank you for sharing this captivating story.

1. What is "My Bionic Quest for Boléro"?

"My Bionic Quest for Boléro" is an article published in Wired Magazine that follows the journey of neuroscientist Eduardo Miranda as he creates a bionic musical composition inspired by Maurice Ravel's "Boléro".

2. How did the idea for "My Bionic Quest for Boléro" come about?

The idea for "My Bionic Quest for Boléro" came from Miranda's interest in combining music and technology. He wanted to create a piece of music that would push the boundaries of what is possible with technology.

3. What is the significance of "Boléro" in this project?

"Boléro" is a well-known and beloved classical piece, and Miranda chose it as the inspiration for his bionic composition because he wanted to show that technology can enhance and elevate traditional art forms.

4. How does Miranda incorporate technology into the bionic composition?

Miranda uses a brain-computer interface to translate brain signals into musical notes. He also uses computer algorithms and machine learning to generate musical variations and harmonies.

5. What are the potential implications of this project?

This project has the potential to revolutionize the way we think about music and technology. It also raises questions about the role of technology in art and the future of human creativity.