My confusion about ##u## and ##\mu##

• B
  • Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the confusion regarding the use of ##u## and ##\mu## in the professor's lectures is most likely due to sloppy handwriting. While they may look similar, they are two distinct letters with different meanings and uses. It is important to pay attention to the context in which they are used and not interchange them. Additionally, in non-mathematical contexts, the prefix 'micro-' may be represented by 'u'.
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Are ##u## and ##\mu## used interchangeably in partial differential equations?
Hi all, I am confused about symbols.

I cannot figure out why my partial differential equations professor writes ##u## and ##\mu## in his lectures. A function ##u(x, y)## turns into ##\mu(x, y)##. His homework sets are always typed with ##u##. I also think he says MYOO during the lectures so it is not just a strange way to write ##u##. He is a Frenchman.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 2.43.15 AM.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##u## and ##\mu## are two very different letters, not only because one is Latin and the other one is Greek, but also because ##\mu ## is the Greek ##m##. I cannot find any ##\mu## in your photo above, and I think it is more a case of sloppy handwriting than it is a case of interchanging the two. However, there are some conventions: ##u## is normally a function, ##\mu## is either an index or a measure. This means that ##\int u\,d\mu## makes sense. But as with all conventions, this is no rule and everybody can use it in a different way.

Likes docnet and sysprog
@fresh_42 is right - this is sloppy handwriting. The same error can be seen in the 'y' characters, particularly in the last line (the second one in ## f(y) ## is almost unrecognisable).

Note that outside a mathematical context the prefix 'micro-' which is properly abbreviated ## \mu ## is sometimes represented by a 'u' when limited to characters of the Latin alphabet: 1 min = 60 s = 60,000 ms = 60,000,000 us.

Last edited:
Likes docnet and sysprog

1. What is the difference between ##u## and ##\mu##?

The symbols ##u## and ##\mu## are often used in science and mathematics to represent different quantities. ##u## typically represents a unit, such as meters or seconds, while ##\mu## represents a prefix used to indicate a decimal multiplier. For example, 1 ##\mu##m is equal to 0.000001 meters.

2. How do I convert between ##u## and ##\mu##?

To convert between ##u## and ##\mu##, you will need to know the specific unit and prefix you are working with. You can use conversion charts or online calculators to help with the conversion, or you can use the following formula: 1 ##u## = 10^(-6) ##\mu##.

3. Can ##u## and ##\mu## be used interchangeably?

No, ##u## and ##\mu## cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different quantities and have different meanings. Using the wrong symbol could lead to confusion and incorrect calculations.

4. Why are ##u## and ##\mu## important in science?

##u## and ##\mu## are important in science because they allow us to express small or large quantities in a more concise and standardized way. This makes it easier to communicate and work with measurements and calculations in various scientific fields.

5. Are there other symbols that are similar to ##u## and ##\mu##?

Yes, there are other symbols that are similar to ##u## and ##\mu##, such as ##n## for nano and ##p## for pico. These symbols also represent prefixes used to indicate decimal multipliers, but they differ in their magnitudes. It is important to use the correct symbol and conversion factor when working with these prefixes.