My dilemma with protons/antiprotons and neutrons/antineutrons

• Thread starter marshallmeyer1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the makeup of fermions, specifically protons, antiprotons, neutrons, and antineutrons. The difference between these particles is that they are made up of different combinations of up and down quarks, with the latter two also having distinct antiparticles. This information helps to explain the difference between a proton and an antineutron, and a neutron and an antiproton.
marshallmeyer1
Lets establish our givens (please correct me if any of my givens are incorrect, for I am a physics noob.)

1.) A proton is made up of two up quarks and one down quark.
2.) An antiproton is made up of one up quark and two down quarks.

3.) A neutron is made up of one up quark and two down quarks.
4.) An antineutron is made up of two up quarks and one down quark.

The four of these fermions have one of two makeups: Either a 1-up and 2-down quark setup, or a 1-down and 2-up setup (the latter being neutrons and antiprotons and the first being antiprotons and neutrons.)

If all of this is so, then what is the difference between a proton and an antineutron, and what is the difference between a neutron and an antiproton?

My guess would be that it has something to do with the rate of spin, but don't all fermions have spin rates of 1/2?

THIS QUESTION IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND NONE OF MY TEACHERS CAN ANSWER IT.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marshallmeyer1, welcome to PhysicsForums!

The answer to your question is that an antiproton is made of two up ANTIquarks and one down ANTIquark, and similarly for neutrons. Like all spin-1/2 particles, quarks have distinct antiparticles. So an antiproton and a neutron are made out of completely different particles.

Oh thank you so much!

1. What is the difference between protons and antiprotons?

Protons and antiprotons are both subatomic particles that have the same mass, but they have opposite charges. Protons have a positive charge, while antiprotons have a negative charge. They are also found in different locations within an atom - protons are located in the nucleus, while antiprotons are only found in high-energy environments such as particle accelerators.

2. How are protons and antiprotons created?

Protons and antiprotons are created through a process called pair production, where high-energy photons (particles of light) are converted into a particle and its antiparticle. Protons and antiprotons can also be produced in particle accelerators by colliding particles at high speeds.

3. Can protons and antiprotons annihilate each other?

Yes, protons and antiprotons can annihilate each other. When a proton and antiproton come into contact, they can combine to produce other particles, such as photons or other types of particles. This process is known as annihilation.

4. What is the role of protons and antiprotons in nuclear reactions?

Protons and antiprotons play a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as they are both involved in the formation and stability of an atom's nucleus. Protons are positively charged and help to hold the nucleus together, while antiprotons can be used to destabilize the nucleus in certain reactions.

5. Are neutrons and antineutrons the same thing?

No, neutrons and antineutrons are not the same thing. Neutrons are subatomic particles with a neutral charge, while antineutrons have an opposite charge. They are also found in different locations within an atom - neutrons are located in the nucleus, while antineutrons are only found in high-energy environments.