My First Algebra Question: Associative Property

In summary: Multiplication is not associative because the order in which you multiply numbers together does affect the result. The order (3 + 8) + (4 + 7) would result in 10 + 17 instead of 10 + 16.
Duckfan
I am reading through a introductory algebra textbook and refreshing memory on this topic. In the matter of the Associative Properties, it is giving me the expression 3 + (8+x).

(I'm skipping the graphs section because I'm leaving that for my tutor Saturday. But I'm moving to algebra because I think I can refresh memory fairly quickly).

Now this is addition in this part of the book. However, I'm just a bit confused because I do remember some of my algebra where in this expression I would multiply 3 into 8 since it's part of (forgot the term) process to solve this equation which (in my memory) multiply 3 & 8 to get 24x. Anytime I deal with an expression (for example) 4 + (7x+10) would work out to 28x +10. Because it's in the ( ) I'm required to multiply the expression inside the ( ).

And it also states I need to change the order: 3 + (x +8). Not understanding this aspect.

Am I correct on this question or do I need to clarify more?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: My FIrst Algebra Question

Duckfan said:
I am reading through a introductory algebra textbook and refreshing memory on this topic. In the matter of the Associative Properties, it is giving me the expression 3 + (8+x).

(I'm skipping the graphs section because I'm leaving that for my tutor Saturday. But I'm moving to algebra because I think I can refresh memory fairly quickly).

Now this is addition in this part of the book. However, I'm just a bit confused because I do remember some of my algebra where in this expression I would multiply 3 into 8 since it's part of (forgot the term) process to solve this equation which (in my memory) multiply 3 & 8 to get 24x. Anytime I deal with an expression (for example) 4 + (7x+10) would work out to 28x +10. Because it's in the ( ) I'm required to multiply the expression inside the ( ).

And it also states I need to change the order: 3 + (x +8). Not understanding this aspect.

Am I correct on this question or do I need to clarify more?

No you are missing the fact that the 3 is added to and not multiplied against the result of the bracket. The only way you'd multiply the three (3) from your first example or the four (4) from your second against the brackets is if the addition was replaced by a multiplication sign (*) or not present.

i.e. \(\displaystyle 3 + ( x + 8) \ne 3 * (x + 8) \) and \(\displaystyle 4 + (7x + 10) \ne 4 * (7x + 10)\)

Associative property of math means that the order in which the operations are done is not relevant. Addition is associative since the order you add numbers together does not affect the result. For example if you have 4 + 7 + 2 it doesn't matter if I force the addition to be (4 + 7) + 2 or 4 + (7 + 2) the result will be the same.

1. What is the associative property in algebra?

The associative property in algebra states that the grouping of numbers in an addition or multiplication problem does not affect the final result. In other words, you can change the order in which you add or multiply numbers and still get the same answer.

2. How do you use the associative property to solve algebraic equations?

You can use the associative property to simplify algebraic equations by rearranging the grouping of numbers to make the problem easier to solve. This can be especially helpful when dealing with large numbers or complex equations.

3. Can the associative property be applied to subtraction or division?

No, the associative property only applies to addition and multiplication. The order in which you subtract or divide numbers does affect the final result.

4. What is an example of using the associative property in an algebraic equation?

For example, in the equation (2 + 3) + 4, we can group the numbers differently as (2 + 4) + 3 and still get the same answer of 9. This shows the associative property in action.

5. Why is the associative property important in algebra?

The associative property is important in algebra because it allows us to simplify and manipulate equations, making them easier to solve. It also helps us understand the relationship between numbers and how they can be rearranged without changing the final answer.