My knowledge of superconductors is limited to the fact that they are

In summary: Basically, the more current you feed to a superconductor, the more it will last. However, at high current densities, the superconductor will eventually lose its ability to generate electricity.
khurram usman
my knowledge of superconductors is limited to the fact that they are substances whose resistnce bcme zero below a certain temperature and current once established continues to flow indefinitely.

a) how can substances behave as supercondictors?(i don't know the name of any...superconducting material)...i mean how its resistance beomes zero at vry low temperature? the most probable theory that i figured out is that atomic vibrations nearly cease al low temprature...but then electrons also won't be availble for conduction...xplain this

b)this question is related to use of superconductor...but first i want to clear one thing
when a fan/motor rotates where is the energy lost?what is the sink point? i mean is energy used to ovecome the back emf affect or the rotating coil acts as a resistance?

c) now if we use a coil of superconducting material then how will it be better than an ordinary one?if we supply energy to it once then wil it last forever? but then wat about conversation of energy?

d)what is the difference between potential drop and energy drop in an electrical circuit?is there no potential drop and energy drop across a superconductor?

please b patient to answer my questions...yhx

Physics news on Phys.org

I think the point of superconductors is more that they have zero resistance and so you can put HUGE currents through them and you can't do that with conventional conductors. So a superconducting material in a motor would still have to be fed more current if it is generating work via the motor (there is no free lunch).

I think most metals are superconductors at temperature near 0 degrees Kelvin, but interestingly enough, two of the very best normal conductors, copper and gold, do not become superconductors.

You should read about cooper pairs. If the metal was hot there would be a lot of vibrations and collisions so it would be hard for the electrons to flow across the wire, if we use the drude model. And you can't have a voltage drop across a superconductor or have a B field inside the superconductor, It will create surface currents to cancel the field . now that i mention it, I wonder if the electrons only flow on the outside in all cases with super conductors .

F. Sonneman, from CERN, had put a fabulous compendium on the web, related to "quench analysis". If you can find it again, it's probably the best introduction. Telling the address would be helpful to more people. Wikipedia would also help a lot.

You need to distinguish between type I, with zero resistance up to a very limited induction and current density, and type II, the only usable for intense fields, which keeps its resistance small over the field or current density that would make a type I fully resistive.

Even in type II, which have losses, current density is limited, and increasing this to produce a strong induction is hard technology. The other direction to a stronger induction is to increase the dimensions at identical current density.

Disappointing for sure. Number one dream destroyer when inventors come with a use for superconductors.

Cooper pairs are the widely accepted explanation for low-temperature superconductors. It is known to fail at high-temp ceramics like YBaCuO.

Even at cold, metals have mobile electrons, as these don't have to be ripped from the atoms. Maybe you refer to a band diagram of semiconductors, but metals have no energy gap, hence their bands are partially filled even at cold, allowing conduction.

-----

In type I with zero resistance, current flows only at the surface, because the magnetic field is expelled from the type I - even at DC, even if the field was in the material prior to cooling, hence it's not only dPhi/dt, see Meissner.

In type II the magnetic field can flow through the material. It self-organizes in small holes related with quantum flux. The movement of these holes creates losses; blocking them by metallurgical means allows more current and lower losses.

-----
In an electric motor, the back EMF is linked with speed, the current with torque, and their product with the mechanical output power - a useful power, so the back EMF is not a loss.

Part of the losses originate from resistive losses in conductors, hence aluminium, copper or superconductors - manufacturers wanted to sell such motors for orientable propeller pods at ships, but my electrostatic motor and electrostatic alternator may be better (saposjoint.net).

More losses come from varying induction in the iron core, and still other losses (not small ones) from cooling flow, aerodynamic losses,and bearings.

a) The behavior of superconductors can be explained by the phenomenon of electron pairing. At low temperatures, the electrons in a superconductor pair up and move together, creating a current with no resistance. This is due to the attractive forces between the electrons, which overcome the repulsive forces that normally cause resistance. This phenomenon is known as Cooper pairing, named after the scientists who first discovered it. The exact mechanism behind this pairing is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the vibrations of the atoms in the material.

b) In a fan or motor, the energy is lost mainly due to friction and resistance in the moving parts. The back emf effect also plays a role, as it opposes the flow of current and can cause energy loss. The rotating coil acts as a resistance, as it experiences resistance from the surrounding air and other factors.

c) Using a superconducting coil in a motor or other electrical device would be beneficial because it would eliminate the resistance and energy loss that typically occurs. This means that the device would be more efficient and require less energy to operate. However, the superconducting material would still need to be kept at a very low temperature, which would require energy to maintain. So while it may last longer, it would still require energy to operate.

d) Potential drop and energy drop are related concepts in an electrical circuit, but they are not exactly the same. Potential drop refers to the decrease in electrical potential as the current flows through a circuit, while energy drop refers to the decrease in energy as the current does work against resistance. In a superconductor, there is no potential drop because there is no resistance, but there is still an energy drop as the current does work. This energy drop is much smaller than in a regular conductor, making superconductors more efficient.

1. What are superconductors?

Superconductors are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This allows them to have extremely high levels of electrical conductivity and carry large amounts of current without any energy loss.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material with almost no resistance. At low temperatures, the atoms in a superconducting material form pairs, known as Cooper pairs, which move through the material without resistance. This is known as the BCS theory, named after the scientists who proposed it.

3. What are the benefits of using superconductors?

The main benefit of superconductors is their ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance, which results in significantly reduced energy loss. This makes them highly efficient for use in power transmission and other high-power applications. Superconductors also have the potential for use in technologies such as magnetic levitation and high-speed trains.

4. What are the limitations of superconductors?

Superconductors currently have to be cooled to very low temperatures, usually below -150°C, in order to maintain their superconducting properties. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems. Additionally, superconductors are brittle and can be easily damaged, making them difficult to use in certain applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have many real-world applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission systems. They are also being researched for use in energy storage, transportation, and quantum computing technologies.