My last kinematics batch (conceptuals)

In summary: No. The time interval from 3 to 4 doesn't have an acceleration of zero, so the projectile's velocity isn't actually zero during that interval. 5. 6 = 1/2at^{2}6 = 1/2(4)t^{2}t= 1.73This is the correct answer.
clairez93

Homework Statement

1. Two bodies are falling with negligible air resistance, side by side, above a horizontal plane. If one of the bodies is given an additional horizontal acceleration during its descent, it:
a) strikes the plane at the same time as the other body
b) strikes the plane earlier than the other body
c) has the vertical component of its velocity altered
d) has the vertical component of his acceleration altered
e) follows a straight line path along the resultant vector

Answer: A

2. A bullet shot horizontally from a gun:
a) strikes the ground much later than one dropped vertically from the same point at the same instant
b) never strikes the ground
c) strikes the ground at approximately the same time as one dropped vertically from the same point at the same instant
d) travels in a straight line
e) strikes the ground much sooner than one dropped from the same point at the same instant

Answer: C

3. A particle moves on the x axis.When its acceleration is in the positive x direction and increasing in magnitude:
a) its velocity must be in the positive x direction
b) its velocity must be in the negative x direction
c) it must be slowing down
d) it must be speeding up
e) none of the above must be true

Answer: E

4. The acceleration of an object, starting from rest, is shown in the graph below. Other than at t = 0, when is the velocity of the object equal to zero? (see attachment, disregard writing)
a) during the interval from 1.0 s to 3.0 s
b) at t =3.5 s
c) at t =4.0 s
d) at t=5.0 s
e) at no other time less than or equal to 5 s

answer: E

Ano bject starts from rest at the origin and moves along the x-axis with a constant acceleration of (4m/s^2)i. Its average velocity as it goes from x = 2m to x = 8m is:
a) (1m/s)i
b) (2m/s)i
c) (3m/s)i
d) (5m/s)i
e) (6m/s)i

Answer: E

Homework Equations

kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I'm not quite sure I understand this concept. I thought there was no horizontal acceleration during a projectile's descent?

2. Wouldn't a bullet have more of an initial velocity and thus stay in the air longer perhaps than a ball dropped vertically?

3. If the acceleration is positive, and increasing in magnitude, doesn't this mean that the velocity is increasing at a steady rate? Then wouldn't it be speeding up?

4. Wouldn't the velocity be zero in the interval from 3-4 since the triangles cancel each other out?

5. [tex]6 = 1/2at^{2}
[tex]6 = 1/2(4)t^{2}[/tex]
[tex]t= 1.73[/tex]
[tex][tex]\frac{6}{1.73} = 3.46[/tex]

Not the correct answer. What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• P1080958.jpg
    P1080958.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:
1. I'm not quite sure I understand this concept. I thought there was no horizontal acceleration during a projectile's descent?
For a projectile the only force is gravity. This is no longer a free projectile, since something is pushing it sideways. But that doesn't affect its vertical motion.

2. Wouldn't a bullet have more of an initial velocity and thus stay in the air longer perhaps than a ball dropped vertically?
Only an initial vertical component of velocity will affect the time it takes to fall.

3. If the acceleration is positive, and increasing in magnitude, doesn't this mean that the velocity is increasing at a steady rate? Then wouldn't it be speeding up?
Yes, the velocity is increasing (but not at a steady rate). But not necessarily the speed. It could be moving to the left as it slows down. For example the velocity could change like this: -8, -7, -5, -2, +2, +7.

4. Wouldn't the velocity be zero in the interval from 3-4 since the triangles cancel each other out?
No. Just because the acceleration is zero in that interval doesn't mean that the velocity is zero.

5. [tex]6 = 1/2at^{2}
[tex]6 = 1/2(4)t^{2}[/tex]
[tex]t= 1.73[/tex]
[tex][tex]\frac{6}{1.73} = 3.46[/tex]

Not the correct answer. What did I do wrong?
Find the time it takes to reach x = 2 and the time it takes to reach x = 8. (You found the time it takes to reach x = 6.)

Last edited:
1. The problem artificially injects a horizontal acceleration. In freefall, there is no horizontal acceleration. In this problem, however, there is, but it isn't due to the gravitational field.

2. No, the vertical component of the velocity acts independently from the horizontal component of a velocity.

3. No, a constant positive acceleration would create a constant positive increase in velocity. If the acceleration is actually increasing, the velocity isn't just increasing, it's increasing at ever more increasing rates!

Related to My last kinematics batch (conceptuals)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of that motion. It deals with concepts such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. How is kinematics related to mechanics?

Kinematics is a subfield of mechanics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of physical objects. Kinematics focuses specifically on the motion aspect of mechanics.

3. What are the basic quantities in kinematics?

The basic quantities in kinematics are position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Position is the location of an object in space, displacement is the change in position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and time is the duration of the motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity specifies the speed at which an object is moving and the direction in which it is moving.

5. How is kinematics used in real-life applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing vehicles and machines, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of athletes in sports, and creating animations in films and video games. It is also used in fields like robotics, aerospace engineering, and biomechanics.