Did My Old Mac Pro Die of a Broken Heart Before Its Replacement Arrived?

In summary: Harlem ?In summary, the old Mac Pro died and the new one is incompatible with some of the software that was already on the old one.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Farewell 2008 Mac Pro, hello 2019 iMac.
A few weeks ago I ordered a new 27" iMac with a 2TB SSD instead of the standard hybrid drive. Then the old Mac Pro died a few days before its replacement arrived. Broken heart, maybe?

Now I've jumped ahead several versions of MacOS to 10.15 a.k.a. Catalina, and have to get new versions of all my software. At least I have lots of free time to do it, between being retired and mostly stuck at home because of the pandemic. :oldeyes:

The old Mac Pro's CPU (minus the internal HDDs which I've extracted for salvaging my files) will go to an e-waste collection point eventually. The monitor will go to a thrift store.

B25E627D-980B-4E7C-BB6F-58A7064FC91C.jpeg

8A29ADCB-4D08-4226-A3E4-08292596DC63.jpeg

Likes OmCheeto
Computer science news on Phys.org
You sure that screen's big enough ? :smile:

Likes berkeman
I think you got your moneys worth For home use, expect five years between upgrades. For business optimal upgrade is three years.

jtbell said:
A few weeks ago I ordered a new 27" iMac with a 2TB SSD instead of the standard hybrid drive. Then the old Mac Pro died a few days before its replacement arrived. Broken heart, maybe?
My Lenovo laptop did something freaky about 18 months ago, rendering the screen almost unreadably dim and unable to drive the remote monitor. Ordered a new laptop. When it arrived, the old one 'cured' itself, and I'm still using it now. It remains the device docked and attached to the big screen and keyboard, and the new one got pressed into service as a travel and zoom device.

So instead of getting a broken heart, it buckled down and swore to be better from now on. Some spouses respond to loyalty, and others to competition.

If only my old computer would die.:oldeyes: Then I could upgrade it to one that could handle the latest Blender release and the new Microsft flight sim being released next month.

Janus said:
If only my old computer would die.

I know a guy who knows a guy...

jtbell said:
Farewell 2008 Mac Pro,

Is that the last of the PPCs or the first of the Intels?

Halc said:
So instead of getting a broken heart, it buckled down and swore to be better from now on. Some spouses respond to loyalty, and others to competition.

There was a story of an experienced rose gardener who would place his spade near a sick plant and miraculously it got better.

Vanadium 50 said:
While I have been known to hit a computer before (I once used an old Mac that would hang up on start up from time to time, and the only way to get it going was to give it a good whack on the side), I've never considered putting a hit out on a computer.

phinds said:
You sure that screen's big enough ?
No need for virtual reality goggles!

The old 23" Apple Cinema display was pretty good for its day, and I wasn't dissatisfied with it at the end, but the Retina display is definitely nice.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is that the last of the PPCs or the first of the Intels?

I had to look that up, it's been so long. The first Intel-based Macs were in 2006. The iMac, MacBook, and Mac Mini came first, then the Mac Pro which replaced the PowerMac G5 (PPC) tower. My 2008 machine was the third version of that first-generation Mac Pro.

I had Parallels Desktop on it, running both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux. After I get settled in with my new MacOS stuff, I'll add some more memory to the iMac and install updated versions of the other stuff on it.

One reason I chose the 27" iMac is that (unlike the smaller models) you can easily upgrade the memory yourself. It has a hatch in the back that reveals the memory slots, whereas with the smaller iMacs you have to pry open the case and void your warranty. And Apple charges an arm and a leg to install more memory as a custom configuration. :frown:

jedishrfu said:
I think you got your moneys worth For home use, expect five years between upgrades.

Before the Mac Pro, in fact I usually went 5-6 years between upgrades, going all the way back to my original Macintosh SE in 1987 or '88. No hard disk, two floppy disk drives, and a whopping 1 MB of memory!

Vanadium 50 said:
But. . . . :wink:

Does he own, you know, a studio. . . on 16th Avenue ?

What does the phrase "my old computer bit the dust" mean?

The phrase "my old computer bit the dust" is an idiomatic expression that means the computer has stopped working or has become unusable due to various issues.

What are the common causes of a computer "biting the dust"?

There are several reasons why a computer may stop working or become unusable. These include hardware failure, software corruption, virus or malware infection, and old age.

Can a computer that has "bit the dust" be repaired?

It depends on the cause of the issue and the extent of the damage. In some cases, a computer can be repaired by replacing faulty hardware or removing viruses. However, if the damage is severe or the computer is too old, it may not be worth repairing.

How long does a computer typically last before "biting the dust"?

The lifespan of a computer can vary depending on its usage, maintenance, and quality. On average, a desktop computer can last for 3-5 years, while a laptop can last for 2-3 years. However, with proper care and upgrades, a computer can last longer.

What should I do if my computer has "bit the dust"?

If your computer has stopped working, you can try troubleshooting the issue or seek professional help. If the computer is beyond repair, you may need to replace it with a new one. It's also essential to back up your data regularly to avoid losing important files in case of a computer failure.

Back