Can MagLev Trains in Vacuum Tubes Revolutionize Future Transportation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using an air evacuated tube to eliminate air pressure and increase speeds of MagLev trains. The advantages of this technology are mentioned, as well as the speaker's goal of competing in the ISEF and applying to a top university. They seek opinions on how to make their project distinctive and increase their chances of winning in the "Energy and Transportation" category. The advice given includes developing a well-planned project with thorough research and practical applications.
Newtonsstudent
Hey PF,
I want to precipitate ISEF (The Intel International Science and Engineering Fair) this year, there's an idea that came up in my mind during studying MagLev trains in physics, since high speeds are achieved in MagLev trains due to the elimination of friction, what if air pressure was also eliminated by placing the train in an air evacuated tube, I think this will allow the train to achieve ultimate speeds without much energy.
The advantages of these trains that it is super fast, safe, and relatively cheap, it could replace commercial planes one day. It's just an idea right now, I'm still gong to work hard on it if it's worth it. I'm going to explain the exact physics of this train and the engineering of its tubes, and the economics of its infrastructure, and how it could save a lot of money and time. I'm looking forward to winning a placing in ISEF this year so I could apply to a top university.
I need your opinions guys, do you have ideas to make this project distinctive, could it win the best of the "Energy and Transportation" category? and what is my actual chance of winning a placing in ISEF, and how can I increase my chance ? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a great idea for your ISEF project and a lot of enthusiasm to make it successful. To increase your chances of winning a placing at ISEF, you'll want to make sure that you have a well-developed project plan with clear objectives, that you have conducted thorough research into the physics and engineering of your proposed train, and that you have clear plans to develop a prototype or model. Additionally, you should think about ways to make your project stand out from other competitors in the Energy and Transportation category. You could consider ways to demonstrate the practical applications of your project, such as how it could save money and time for consumers, as well as potential environmental implications. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of your project?

The purpose of my project is to investigate the effects of different fertilizers on plant growth in order to determine the most effective and environmentally-friendly option for sustainable agriculture.

2. How did you come up with the idea for your project?

I became interested in sustainable agriculture after learning about the negative impacts of conventional fertilizers on the environment. I wanted to find a solution that would not only promote plant growth, but also minimize harm to the ecosystem.

3. What methods did you use in your project?

I conducted a controlled experiment with three groups of plants, each receiving a different type of fertilizer (conventional, organic, and homemade). I measured the height, number of leaves, and overall health of the plants over a period of four weeks.

4. What were your results and conclusions?

After analyzing the data, I found that the plants receiving the organic and homemade fertilizers showed similar growth and health, while the plants receiving the conventional fertilizer had stunted growth and showed signs of nutrient deficiency. Therefore, I concluded that organic and homemade fertilizers are more effective and sustainable options for plant growth.

5. How do you plan on furthering this research in the future?

In the future, I would like to expand my study to include a wider variety of plants and fertilizers, as well as different environmental conditions. I also hope to collaborate with farmers and agricultural experts to implement my findings and promote sustainable farming practices.