Mysterious Flashes of Light in Dark Room

In summary: I suspect you are seeing the same effect in the synthetic fibre used for thermal insulation in some clothing, bed covers, and synthetic sleeping bag fill.
Ncampbell530
I saw strange flashes of light last night in a dark room and am wondering what caused them. They seemed the only happen when I moved the comforter, but it was not always in the same area. I thought at first it was a brief reflection of light, but I couldn't find a source for the reflection that would have matched. I also considered that it might be some sort of static energy. I have no idea if static energy is visable as sparks in the dark or not, so that's why I'm posting here. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I had just put the sheets/duvet covers back on the beds after being washed, so there almost likely was more natural static energy present anyway. Also, I saw them both in my sons bed when putting him to sleep and in my own bed when I woke up randomly at 3am. Insight appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Static electricity can produce sparks bright enough to see them in daylight. It can certainly produce sparks visible in a dark room when there is relative motion between things in contact.

Likes Ncampbell530
Ncampbell530 said:
I saw strange flashes of light last night in a dark room and am wondering what caused them. They seemed the only happen when I moved the comforter, but it was not always in the same area. I thought at first it was a brief reflection of light, but I couldn't find a source for the reflection that would have matched. I also considered that it might be some sort of static energy. I have no idea if static energy is visable as sparks in the dark or not, so that's why I'm posting here. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I had just put the sheets/duvet covers back on the beds after being washed, so there almost likely was more natural static energy present anyway. Also, I saw them both in my sons bed when putting him to sleep and in my own bed when I woke up randomly at 3am. Insight appreciated!
Do other people see them? Do the flashes occur when you move your eyes, or when your eyes are held steady?

If you see flashes of light when you move your eyes quickly, please see an eye doctor to have your eyes checked. Flashes of light when moving your eyes can be a sign of retinal detachment. (If it seems possible that it is an issue with your eyes, try not to move them until you can have them checked -- have somebody else drive you to the eye appointment)

I was a little bit concerned about retinal detachment after googling this to see if I came up with an answer, but I am fairly certain that that is not the case. My eyes were never moving when I saw the flashes, only the comforter that I saw the flash is on was moving at the time. Also, my son is too little to confirm the flashes with, and my husband was asleep so I will ask if he sees them if it happens again. Thanks for the help!

Likes berkeman
Ncampbell530 said:
, only the comforter that I saw the flash is on was moving at the time

Aha! That's an important clue. Almost certainly static electricity.

Likes Ncampbell530
A freshly washed and dried comforter is probably a very good generator of static electricity. You might even hear it crackle when you move it. Try putting one on top of another then peel off the top one while looking at the gap between them.

I have observed triboluminescence when stretching some thermal underwear. The flashes of light were quite bright. I do not remember the exact composition of the polymer but I believe it was a hydrophobic synthetic carbonate. It is not static electricity so there is no fire hazard.
Triboluminescence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence
I suspect you are seeing the same effect in the synthetic fibre used for thermal insulation in some clothing, bed covers, and synthetic sleeping bag fill.
What thermal insulation is used in your comforter ?

I have a fleecy robe that puts on a light show when it's moved around in the dark. Static electricity.

1. What causes mysterious flashes of light in a dark room?

There could be various reasons for these flashes, such as electrical disturbances, reflections from shiny surfaces, or even our own eyes adjusting to the darkness. It could also be a phenomenon called phosphene, which is a perception of light without actual light entering the eye.

2. Are these flashes of light dangerous?

In most cases, these flashes of light are harmless and do not pose any danger. However, if you experience frequent or persistent flashes of light, it is best to consult a doctor as it could be a sign of an underlying eye condition.

3. Do all people experience these flashes of light?

Yes, most people have experienced these mysterious flashes of light at some point in their lives. It is a common occurrence, especially when our eyes are adjusting to the darkness.

4. Can these flashes of light be captured on camera?

No, these flashes of light are usually not visible on camera as they are caused by internal factors, such as the eye's response to low light conditions. However, if the flash is caused by external factors, such as a reflection, it could be captured on camera.

5. How can I prevent these flashes of light from happening?

As these flashes of light are usually caused by natural factors, it is difficult to prevent them from happening. However, you can try to minimize them by avoiding sudden changes in lighting, keeping your eyes closed for a few minutes before entering a dark room, and avoiding bright screens before going into a dark room.