Mysterious Ice Cube Tray Phenomenon

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of supercooling, where water can remain in a liquid state below its freezing point until a disturbance (such as swirling with a finger) triggers the freezing process. This can occur in poorly operating freezers, and even with reasonably pure water.
ax0
I'm sure this is a totally amateur question, but today I got one of those big ice cube trays for 2x2x2 inch cubes. I filled it up and put it in my freezer, and about 6 hours later checked on it but the water was not frozen at all. Not even a crust on top. I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ax0 said:
I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?

a very poorly operating freezer ... my cubes would be solid ice after 2 - 3 hours
a 1.25 bottle of coke will freeze for me in a couple of hours

ax0 said:
I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Sounds like the water was in a supercooled state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

ax0 said:
Not even a crust on top. I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency.

Drakkith said:
Sounds like the water was in a supercooled state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling
yes and the adding of the finger to stir it added the seeding process for it to freeze
reasonably pure water can be lowered below its freezing point without freezing ... till seeding occurs

What is the "Mysterious Ice Cube Tray Phenomenon"?

The "Mysterious Ice Cube Tray Phenomenon" refers to a strange occurrence where ice cubes in a tray appear to melt at different rates, even though they are all exposed to the same temperature and environment.

Why does this phenomenon happen?

There are a few possible explanations for this phenomenon. One is that the ice cubes may have different shapes and sizes, causing them to melt at different rates. Another is that the water used to make the ice cubes may not have been completely homogenous, resulting in variations in the thickness or density of the ice cubes. Additionally, the location of the ice cube tray in the freezer may also play a role, as different areas of the freezer may have slightly different temperatures.

Can this phenomenon be replicated in a controlled experiment?

Yes, this phenomenon can be replicated in a controlled experiment by using an ice cube tray with identical-sized compartments and water that has been thoroughly mixed. The tray should also be placed in a controlled environment with a consistent temperature throughout.

Is the "Mysterious Ice Cube Tray Phenomenon" harmful?

No, this phenomenon is not harmful. It is simply a natural occurrence caused by various factors such as shape, size, and temperature differences. It does not affect the safety or quality of the ice cubes for consumption.

Are there any practical applications of studying this phenomenon?

While this phenomenon may seem trivial, studying it can provide insight into how different factors can affect the rate of melting in various materials. This information can be applied in fields such as material science and food preservation, where understanding the rate of melting can be crucial.