N-rowed determinant which corresponds to cosine multiple angle formula

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the truth of a cosine multiple angle formula using induction. The person asking the question presents a n-rowed determinant and the person attempting the solution uses a previous term in the sequence to prove the formula for n+1. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the helpful hint given.
Seydlitz

Homework Statement

I need to prove or show that this n-rowed determinant which corresponds to cosine multiple angle formula is in fact true using induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

First let ##a = \cos \theta## and suppose I have this n by n determinant.

$$
\begin{vmatrix}
&a &1 &0& \\
&1 &2a &1& \\
&0 &1 &2a& \\
\end{vmatrix} = \cos n\theta
$$

For ##n=1## it's easy to see that the determinant does in fact correspond to ##\cos n\theta##.

I assume it's true for ##n##, and I want to show that it's the case for ##n+1## to complete the induction. So this is the new n+1 by n+1 determinant.

$$
\begin{vmatrix}
&a &1 &0 &0&\\
&1 &2a &1 &0&\\
&0 &1 &2a &1&\\
&0 &0 &1 &2a&\\
\end{vmatrix}= \cos (n+1)\theta
$$

Evaluating the determinant using the last column I can have.
$$
2 \cos \theta \begin{vmatrix}
&a &1 &0& \\
&1 &2a &1& \\
&0 &1 &2a& \\
\end{vmatrix}-
\begin{vmatrix}
&a &1 &0& \\
&1 &2a &1& \\
&0 &0 &1& \\
\end{vmatrix}
$$

The first term is equal to ##2 \cos \theta \cos n\theta##.

My problem is to relate the second term to the sine term in this angle identity.

##\cos (n+1)\theta = \cos \theta \cos n\theta - \sin \theta \sin n\theta##.

If that's done then the prove should be done too.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: that second term looks like a previous term in the sequence!

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
Hint: that second term looks like a previous term in the sequence!

Got it thanks! What a powerful hint you have there. :)

Related to N-rowed determinant which corresponds to cosine multiple angle formula

What is a "N-rowed determinant"?

A "N-rowed determinant" refers to a mathematical expression that represents a square matrix with "N" rows and columns. It is typically denoted using vertical bars on either side of the matrix, such as |A|.

What is the "cosine multiple angle formula"?

The cosine multiple angle formula is a trigonometric identity that expresses the cosine of a multiple angle (such as 2θ or 3θ) in terms of the cosine of the original angle (θ). It is often used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations involving multiple angles.

How is a "N-rowed determinant" related to the "cosine multiple angle formula"?

The "N-rowed determinant" is used to represent the coefficients in the "cosine multiple angle formula". By solving the determinant, the values of the coefficients can be determined and used in the formula to simplify the calculation of the cosine of a multiple angle.

What is the purpose of using the "cosine multiple angle formula"?

The "cosine multiple angle formula" is used to simplify calculations involving multiple angles, such as in trigonometry, calculus, and physics. It allows for complex expressions to be reduced to simpler ones, making it easier to solve equations and perform calculations.

Are there any variations of the "cosine multiple angle formula"?

Yes, there are several variations of the "cosine multiple angle formula" that involve different trigonometric functions, such as the sine multiple angle formula and the tangent multiple angle formula. These variations are used for different types of calculations and can be derived from the original cosine multiple angle formula.