Na2CO3 + Ca(OH)2 + Heat + Water = NaOH + CaCO3 + ?

In summary: You need to use more Washing Soda (and water) to make NaOH, and more Hydrated Lime (and water) to make CaCO3. This could lead to wasted materials and money.
jeepack
Na2CO3 + Ca(OH)2 + Heat + Water = NaOH + CaCO3 + ?

This is an experiment I got from the golden book of chemistry experiements. It says you can mix Washing Soda (from the laundry products section) with water in a glass bowl, then heat it up a bit, then mix in Hydrated Lime Powder (from gardening stores), and it is supposed to create NaOH and CaCO3 which can be separated with a filter. My friend wants me to make this experiment because he uses Lye and Calcium Carbonate for house hold applications.

He was already making his NaOH from electrolyte with Salt but he doesn't enjoy dispensing of Chlorine Gaz and Hydrogen. And he can get all the products for this hydrated lime experiments from the same stores he frequents regularly. He would save money I think from finding a use for both products in the experiment's outcome.

How violent would this experiment be? Other than playing with substances that are naturally dangerous from not having a neutral PH, are there any other dangerous sides to this? Gaz? Chances of explosion? Burns? How dangerous is this...

Can you just expect a safe experiment as long as you don't drop all the solution on yourself? What about fumes? Are vapors toxic?

And the experiment is said to be used with 50 ml of water, and doesn't even mention the portions for the slaked lime mixed with water... he wants to produce decent quantities, is this possible?

----------------
also, how would he be able to make sure the liquid that goes through the filter is 100% naoh + water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Only thing I can think of is that mixture may start to splash when heated - so you should be prepared for that. No toxic fumes/vapors - although concentrated NaOH solutions tend to liberate caustic aerozol, so either use fume hood or at least do the experiment outside. Other than that with small amounts of substances it shouldn't be dangerous, as long as you remember about glasses, apron and common reason.

Scaling up can be problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing this experiment with me. I am a scientist and I would be happy to provide some insights and guidance on this experiment.

Firstly, let's look at the chemical reaction that is occurring in this experiment. When you mix Na2CO3 (sodium carbonate) and Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide) with water and heat, it will produce NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). The question mark in the equation represents water, which is also a product of the reaction. So, the final products of this reaction are NaOH, CaCO3, and water.

Now, let's address the safety concerns you have raised. The main risk in this experiment is the use of heat. Whenever heat is involved, there is always a risk of burns. It is important to take proper precautions, such as wearing protective gloves and eyewear, and using a heat source with caution. As for the other substances involved, sodium carbonate (washing soda) and calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime) are both alkaline substances, meaning they have a high pH. This can cause skin irritation or burns if they come in contact with your skin. It is important to handle them with care and avoid any contact with your skin or eyes. As for the fumes and vapors, they may be irritating to the respiratory system, so it is important to conduct this experiment in a well-ventilated area.

In terms of the proportions and quantities, it is important to follow the instructions carefully. The experiment you mentioned uses 50 ml of water, so it is best to stick to that amount. As for the slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) mixed with water, the instructions should specify the proportions. It is important to follow them accurately to ensure the correct reaction.

As for the purity of the final product, it may be difficult to achieve 100% purity without proper laboratory equipment and techniques. However, you can test the purity of the NaOH by using pH strips or a pH meter. Pure NaOH has a pH of 14, so if your product is close to that, it is a good indication of its purity.

In conclusion, this experiment can be safely conducted as long as proper precautions are taken and the instructions are followed accurately. It is important to be aware of the potential risks and handle the substances with care. I hope this helps and your friend is able to successfully

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Na2CO3 and Ca(OH)2?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: Na2CO3 + Ca(OH)2 + Heat + H2O = 2NaOH + CaCO3

2. What is the purpose of heat in this reaction?

The heat is necessary to provide energy for the reaction to occur. It helps break down the bonds between the atoms in the reactants, allowing them to rearrange and form new products.

3. What are the products of this reaction?

The products of this reaction are NaOH and CaCO3.

4. Is this reaction exothermic or endothermic?

This reaction is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat as a byproduct. This can be observed by feeling the warmth of the reaction mixture as it is being carried out.

5. What are the industrial uses of this reaction?

This reaction is commonly used in the production of soap and detergents, as well as in the treatment of water to remove hardness. It is also used in the production of glass and paper, and as a neutralizing agent in various chemical processes.