Nailing Jello to a Tree: Uncovering Solutions

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree
In summary: The Extended Analog Computer (EAC) is a device whichcomputes using semi-conductive material, voltage gradients,and logic arrays. The computational medium can be any semiconductivematerial, such as black conductive foam, Jellobrand gelatin, or silicon. Voltage gradients are induced on the medium through the use of a series of sources andsinks. Sources transmit electrical current to the medium byproducing an excess of electrons. These electrons, once onfoliosthe medium, tend to travel towards a sink. A sink provides apath of least resistance for the electrons to exit the board. Thisis either a ground or a negative voltage source.As
Danger said:
I've never tried this, so I don't know if it would work. Assuming a basic Jell-o consistency, you could sprinkle it with a lot of salt or those silica beads from a medicine bottle. Since the stuff does eventually dry out to a rubbery state, perhaps a dessicant would speed that along.
I'm going to try that next time I can get jello.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
I'm going to try that next time I can get jello.

That almost makes it sound like Jello is a controlled substance. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
That almost makes it sound like Jello is a controlled substance. :biggrin:

:smile::smile::smile: Pssssst, hey, you, I have some jello that is so good it will make your eyes wiggle.

Last edited:
I've got the tune to that old Squeeze song, "Pulling mussels from a shell" going through my head, except it's "Nailing Jello to a tree."

Thought I'd share.

Chi Meson said:
I've got the tune to that old Squeeze song, "Pulling mussels from a shell" going through my head, except it's "Nailing Jello to a tree."

Thought I'd share.

Thanks for that.

Squeeze is my just-about-most-favorite-band-ever, but now I am deleting "Pulling Mussels" from my iPod.

Jello Dance

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Jello Dance

Cool! That Jello can dance!

Just change your time frame of analysis to very small; and you could nail any consistency of jello to a tree.

a necropost - but a nice solution!

aallen said:
Just change your time frame of analysis to very small; and you could nail any consistency of jello to a tree.

Wouldn't that make it hard to actually hit the nail with the hammer?

BobG said:
Wouldn't that make it hard to actually hit the nail with the hammer?

What?! You don't have a nanohammer? :bugeye:

What kind of Tree?

You could try it this way!

Thread resurrected again, I see. How come nobody thought of just driving a nail through Jello and then correctly stating that some residue is still on the nail? I bet someone did and I missed it.

Or if we're really lazy, like some "solutions" were, why not just say that it's opposite day, and not nailing the Jello to the tree is actually nailing the Jello to the tree?

By the way Math is Hard, how did this experiment work out?

Tobias Funke said:
By the way Math is Hard, how did this experiment work out?

Oh, the jello->tree business was just a brief opening for an essay I was writing for a class. I was using it to introduce what I had decided was an even more difficult problem: trying to throw away a trash can.

My problem was trying to communicate to the trash collectors that the trash can itself was actually trash. It was a very silly experience. I tried putting a big sign on the can that said TRASH, and when that didn't work, I tried putting a sign on it that said BASURA, since the crew spoke Spanish. (I think they probably thought I was insane with my putting labels on the trash can. "Yes, crazy lady, we know this is the trash!") I tried putting the can inside another can, etc.

Anyhoo, the overall theme was about being locked into our perceptions of things, and only being able to view them in one way. I thought the trash can made a good example.

Math Is Hard said:
I was using it to introduce what I had decided was an even more difficult problem: trying to throw away a trash can.

My problem was trying to communicate to the trash collectors that the trash can itself was actually trash. It was a very silly experience. I tried putting a big sign on the can that said TRASH, and when that didn't work, I tried putting a sign on it that said BASURA, since the crew spoke Spanish. (I think they probably thought I was insane with my putting labels on the trash can. "Yes, crazy lady, we know this is the trash!") I tried putting the can inside another can, etc.

Haha, this was the theme of a comedian's stand-up routine. I can't remember who. I wonder if they originated it, or if they stole it.

Math Is Hard said:
Oh, the jello->tree business was just a brief opening for an essay I was writing for a class. I was using it to introduce what I had decided was an even more difficult problem: trying to throw away a trash can.

Anyhoo, the overall theme was about being locked into our perceptions of things, and only being able to view them in one way. I thought the trash can made a good example.

I had three plastic trash cans and a large, rectangular tupperware-like container (about 18x30x24) that accumulated under my porch since the trash collectors would never take them.

Putting some old canned goods in the tupperware-like container and leaving them on a street corner for people to take what they wanted for free turned out to be the best solution for getting rid of the tupperware-like container. It doesn't look like you're littering and nobody thinks about what will happen with the container once people have removed everything from it. I think a homeless person might have decided the container would come in handy - either that or it blew away in a wind storm.

You can't donate food in a trash can. That means you have to be more creative. You can donate old curtain rods in a trashcan, provided you drop it off at a Goodwill store or other thrift store in the middle of the night.

Or you cruise around in the middle of night searching for dumpsters to toss your old trash cans in. Dumpsters in apartment complexes work well. You can start off from your car acting as if you're carrying the trashcans to your apartment and transition to carrying them to the dumpster somewhere along the way with no one noticing (just don't pull up next to the dumpster and toss your trash in it).

Make the Jell-o and let it dry about 50% of it's water content. Then go ahead.

1) Get one of those really big nails, like a rail spike, drill out a bit of the nail, pour the jello in, seal the nail, pound away.

2) Soft plastic bowl with jello poured in, pound nail through base of bowl against top of large branch, or if you angle it carefully enough, sideways.

3) Adopt a little nail and call it "Jello." Write the name on the nail and pound away.

4) Name some other object "Jello" and pound away.

I've got that freakin' Squeeze song going through my head again :eek:

Make a large batch of Jello in a trash can.

Nail the trash can to a tree.

Kills two birds with one nail.

I get rid of old trashcans by taping them closed with duct tape and writing "Take the WHOLE CAN" on the tape. This might be a good way to dispose of bodies, since I'm sure this works because it's too much trouble to open the lid, so nobody looks inside.

It might NOT work in bear country where the trash collectors are used to the trash cans being bound shut. :rolleyes:

Make the jello, but don't let it set. Instead, soak it up with a sponge.

Nail the sponge to the tree.

Math Is Hard said:

In line with Moonie's response... why not just post a sticker that says 'Take the whole can as well as the contents.'? That might need to be repeated in Spanish down south; here, the secondary label would be in French.

edit: Hi, Mugs... nice to see you again after the side-slip thread.

Danger said:
In line with Moonie's response... why not just post a sticker that says 'Take the whole can as well as the contents.'?
Or use a sawzall to cut up the bin...

nail the tree's crotch