Name for one kind of Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration?

In summary, the conversation was about the specific name for a configuration of the Czerny-Turner monochromator where the two mirrors, M1 and M2, combine to form one monolithic mirror with a single radius of curvature. The person was trying to reference this design for an old project they were revisiting. It was mentioned that the name of this configuration is also known as Fastie-Ebert monochromator or Ebert-Fastie monochromator. The person also shared their familiarity with three different configurations of this monochromator.
jbeale
TL;DR Summary
searching for name of single-mirror C-T monochromator configuration
Can anyone say if there is a specific name for the Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration shown below, but specifically when the two mirrors M1 and M2 extend into each other and combine forming one monolithic mirror M12 with one single radius of curvature? I thought I saw such a design years ago, and I'm revisiting an old project in which I'm actually trying to build it, but it would help to reference any existing work.

Czerny-Turner-monochromator.png

this figure is taken from www.researchgate.net/figure/Czerny-Turner-monochromator-S-1-and-S-2-entrance-and-exit-slits-respectively-G_fig3_36449863

20230311_CT-mono1.jpg

remains of previous experiment

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind: apparently, the name I was looking for was Fastie–Ebert monochromator.

Welcome to PF.
Where if you can express yourself clearly, and ask the right question, you can answer it yourself.
We look forward to your next good question, and an introduction to another interesting esoteric device.

jbeale said:
Nevermind: apparently, the name I was looking for was Fastie–Ebert monochromator.

I'm more familiar with it being called Ebert-Fastie, or simply Ebert.

Below are three configurations I am most familiar with.

1-s2.0-B9780123860224000030-f03-10-9780123860224.jpg

1. What is a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration?

A Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration is a type of optical instrument used for separating light into its component wavelengths. It consists of an entrance slit, a collimating mirror, a diffraction grating or prism, and a focusing mirror, all arranged in a specific geometry to achieve high spectral resolution.

2. How does a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration work?

In a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration, light enters through the entrance slit and is collimated by the collimating mirror. It then passes through a diffraction grating or prism, which separates the light into its component wavelengths. The focusing mirror then focuses the desired wavelength onto the exit slit, allowing only that specific wavelength to pass through.

3. What is the advantage of using a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration?

The main advantage of using a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration is its high spectral resolution. The carefully designed geometry of the instrument allows for precise separation of wavelengths, making it ideal for applications such as spectroscopy and wavelength measurement.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration?

One limitation of a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration is its relatively narrow wavelength range. The instrument can only select a specific range of wavelengths determined by the properties of the diffraction grating or prism. Additionally, the instrument may be sensitive to misalignment, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. What are some common applications of a Czerny-Turner monochromator configuration?

Czerny-Turner monochromator configurations are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology. They are also used in industrial settings for quality control and process monitoring, as well as in medical diagnostics and environmental monitoring.