Name of projection to firmamentum (celestial sphere)

In summary, the discussion focused on whether there is a special name for the central projection of a star's position onto the celestial sphere, also known as celestial coordinates or RA and Dec. The concept of projection from space to a sphere was mentioned, but it was noted that it is often just referred to as a "projection" without a specific name. The origin of celestial mapping was also briefly discussed.
DrDu
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Does the central projection of the position of a star to the firmamentum (celestial sphere) has a special name?
Does the central projection of the position of a star to the firmamentum (celestial sphere) has a special name?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Celestial Position?

Celestial Coordinates? RA and Dec?

There is orthogonal projection from space to the plane.
I thought of something like gnomonic projection, but this is from the sphere to a plane. I find it strange that the more obvious projection from space to a sphere has no proper name.

Normally when you take coordinates and project them down to a space with smaller dimension by just eliminating one coordinate, you just call it a "projection". That's what's being done here. I don't know that it needs a special name, since it's such a simple concept.

Of course today we consider this trivial. But I thought that some medieval monks and arab sky mongers created thousand of strange names for it.

DrDu said:
Of course today we consider this trivial. But I thought that some medieval monks and arab sky mongers created thousand of strange names for it.
It was way before that. Hipparchus created the first map of the celestial sphere in the second century BC.

1. What is a projection to firmamentum?

A projection to firmamentum, also known as a celestial sphere projection, is a method of representing the celestial sphere on a two-dimensional surface. It is used to map the positions of stars and other celestial objects onto a flat surface for observation and study.

2. How does a projection to firmamentum work?

A projection to firmamentum works by projecting points on the celestial sphere onto a flat surface. This is typically done by tracing lines from the center of the celestial sphere to the surface, creating a grid-like pattern. The resulting map can then be used to determine the positions and movements of celestial objects.

3. What are the advantages of using a projection to firmamentum?

One advantage of using a projection to firmamentum is that it allows for a more accurate representation of the celestial sphere compared to other methods. It also allows for easier measurement and calculation of celestial positions and movements.

4. What are the limitations of a projection to firmamentum?

One limitation of a projection to firmamentum is that it can only represent half of the celestial sphere at a time. This is because it is a two-dimensional representation and the celestial sphere is three-dimensional. Additionally, different projection methods may introduce distortions or inaccuracies in the map.

5. How is a projection to firmamentum used in modern astronomy?

A projection to firmamentum is still used in modern astronomy for mapping and studying the positions and movements of celestial objects. It is also used in navigation and timekeeping, as well as in the creation of star charts and other astronomical tools.