Name of the connector used for coax for internet, cable TV, TV antenna

In summary, the individual is embarrassed to admit that they have never used a crimping tool for designing and wants to confirm that they need an F-type tool for a common TV antenna connector. They are looking for a cheap version that can pass a 5lb pull test and have decided to purchase one from Amazon.
yungman
This is embarrassing, All these yrs., I never use one for any design. I just want to make sure it is F type. I am talking just common tv antenna connector.

I need to buy the crimping tool and everything, I cannot afford to make mistake. I searched, it should be F-type, just want to confirm.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you so much, Please delete this thread, this is too embarrassing. Now I can go buy the tool.

Cheapest version for low volume. $cad Stripper & crimper. Results should pass a 5lb pull test.
1682980543970.png

yungman said:
Thank you so much, Please delete this thread, this is too embarrassing. Now I can go buy the tool.
Sorry, you know the rules. We don't delete threads that have useful replies. :smile:

You should not be embarrassed. It was a completely legitimate question. I did not know the answer, either. And the replies were useful to everybody else who did not know.

TonyStewart said:
Cheapest version for low volume. $cad Stripper & crimper. Results should pass a 5lb pull test.View attachment 325789
I bought this one:
Crimping tool.jpg

From Amazon.

What is the name of the connector used for coax for internet, cable TV, and TV antenna?

The most commonly used connector for coaxial cables in these applications is called an "F-type" connector. It is a screw-on connector with a threaded body that provides a secure connection and good signal transmission.

How does the F-type connector work?

The F-type connector works by using a center conductor, usually made of copper, to carry the signal. The center conductor is surrounded by a dielectric insulator and then a metal shield, which helps to reduce interference. The threaded body of the connector then screws onto the outer shield, creating a secure connection.

Can the F-type connector be used for both internet and TV signals?

Yes, the F-type connector is versatile and can be used for both internet and TV signals. It is commonly used for cable TV and internet connections, as well as for TV antennas.

Are there different types of F-type connectors?

Yes, there are different types of F-type connectors, including male and female connectors, as well as connectors with different thread sizes. It is important to use the correct type of connector for your specific application to ensure a proper connection and good signal transmission.

Do I need any special tools to install an F-type connector?

Installing an F-type connector typically requires a coaxial cable stripper and a coaxial cable compression tool. These tools ensure a clean cut and secure connection. However, some F-type connectors may also have a twist-on design that does not require any tools for installation.