NASA Innovation Project: Exploring Space with a Magnetic Beam

In summary, a group of people discussed the NASA innovation project, which involves using a magnetic force from a plasma beam to propel spacecrafts further and faster. One individual mentioned that they had originally planned to invent this concept themselves, but now it is being pursued by NASA. They asked for advice on how to still be ahead of the game when they enter university, as their majors are in Maths and Chemistry, not astrophysics. Others suggested studying plasma physics or chemical engineering for their interests in this area. There was also discussion about the difficulties and potential problems of using MHD propulsion in space travel. In the end, one person shared their dream of pushing interstellar travel forward, and asked about the potential of using negative energy and the ion drive
monet A
Hey there everyone,

Out of curiosity have many of you noted the NASA innovation project has a suitor for its courting of a better way to explore space.
The basic concept is that a relatively stationary object can propel the moving spacecraft further faster, and more explicity the proposal is that a magnetic force from a plasma beam will do the trick.

Ok so here's why I am posting it on this forum, I applied for uni three years ago with the full intention of inventing this thing above myself. Now its pretty much on the table before I got there and I wonder what I should do now to be still ahead of the game when I get there.

My majors are Maths (differential calculus) and Chemistry, (I know why that is but don't ask me to tell you because I am sly and I won't tell you) and I am not going to change it to astrophysics, but what I do want to know is, if anyone here has been keeping up with this development, what do you see are the obstacles this ambitious project will be facing and where do you think we should be looking for the answers.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/mag_beam.html

Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) propulsion has been around since, at the very least, the 70's. It hasn't produced anything significant yet, has it? I'm not sure why you think you are "inventing" something new here.

Furthermore, why would you want to "change" to astrophysics? Astrophysicists don't do MHD propulsions. People majoring in plasma physics, nuclear engineering, and even electrical engineering (waveguides, EM fields, etc) are the ones involved in studying such things.

Zz.

Since you like Chem and Math, why don't you major in Chemical Engineering and go for graduate research in Material Science - that's where the innovations are and need to be - better, cheaper, lighter and stronger materials.

I happen to be a math and chemistry major as well. How much extra work on catching up on undergraduate courses would I have to do in order to become a chemical engineer?

I was thinking about applying to grad school for Chem E, that or for Physical chemistry/chemical physics specializing in kinetics and quantum chemistry.

ZapperZ said:
The concept of magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) propulsion has been around since, at the very least, the 70's. It hasn't produced anything significant yet, has it? I'm not sure why you think you are "inventing" something new here.
Zz.

:rofl: Not the MHD. :rofl: A 'something else' but the concept of using MHD for space travel is in the same box.
Never mind all that anyhoo. What do you think would be the problems of using this magnetic propulsion in this application?

ZapperZ said:
Furthermore, why would you want to "change" to astrophysics? Astrophysicists don't do MHD propulsions. People majoring in plasma physics, nuclear engineering, and even electrical engineering (waveguides, EM fields, etc) are the ones involved in studying such things.

Well there you see either you've missed the point altogether or you actually understood what I was saying more than you realize. Astrophysics isn't the right direction, even though the ambition is to explore outer space.

Cronxeh, I was majoring in Chem Engineering with Supercomputing/Modelling but I have changed back to the old fashioned way of doing things, it makes more sense to me. I have plans to matriculate into Material science, already, so I agree with you there, but I have limited interest in the direction of those fields right now. Then again, things change as you learn more about them, and that's really what I hope we might do here discussing this model of space travel. It's my career interest, I am just a girl with a dream, but I suppose we can go back to lamenting that women can't see a place for them in Science these days.
o:)

It is also one of my dreams to push the world of inter-stellar travel that little bit closer. Although I'm not currently studying any sciences, it's an idea for one of the directions I wan't to be going.

The use of negative energy seems highly likely in the thought of inter-stellar travel, but I think the ion drive could do more than they think. You know that satelite which has been accelerating for two years? Can't they use the ion drive to power another motor/engiene instead of powering the satelite it's self?

(Not a lagitimate idea just an example)Say you had a cylinder powered to rotate on it's axis by the ion drive, after two years that cylinder will be spinning extremely fast. Could an energy be created by those conditions, instead of the ion drive moving the satelite it's self?

monet A said:
:rofl: Not the MHD. :rofl: A 'something else' but the concept of using MHD for space travel is in the same box.
Never mind all that anyhoo. What do you think would be the problems of using this magnetic propulsion in this application?

MHD is the PHYSICS that's involved in such a study. It isn't a TECHNIQUE. If you study plasma physics, it is PART of such a study, regardless on whether you are studying to do fusion, the study new acceleration scheme, or do to propulsion!

And the problem? Have you considered how DIFFICULT it is to create, maintain, and control ANY plasma so that it does what you want it to do?

Cronxeh, I was majoring in Chem Engineering with Supercomputing/Modelling but I have changed back to the old fashioned way of doing things, it makes more sense to me. I have plans to matriculate into Material science, already, so I agree with you there, but I have limited interest in the direction of those fields right now. Then again, things change as you learn more about them, and that's really what I hope we might do here discussing this model of space travel. It's my career interest, I am just a girl with a dream, but I suppose we can go back to lamenting that women can't see a place for them in Science these days.
o:)

Now don't use that tone with me. If you have read my journal entries and my other postings on here, I have done A LOT to promote the participation of women in science! I just spend a whole day a month ago with high school girls here at Argonne during their "Science Careers Looking for Women" day! So I can do WITHOUT that kind of statement. Your gender is irrelevant on here.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And the problem? Have you considered how DIFFICULT it is to create, maintain, and control ANY plasma so that it does what you want it to do?
Zz.

Well you have assumed that's what I intended to do, again with the assumptions, can we just get along?
:uhh:

ZapperZ said:
Now don't use that tone with me. If you have read my journal entries and my other postings on here...

Zz.

Yes I had started reading you journals Zz, and that is exactly why I took the tone. With much less intesity than you have assumed, however, it was just a lighthearted jab y'know.

But you're right about one thing, my gender has not a thing to do with your elitist replies, so I reckon I'll stop asking you for them, how about that?

Mark Walker said:
It is also one of my dreams to push the world of inter-stellar travel that little bit closer. Although I'm not currently studying any sciences, it's an idea for one of the directions I wan't to be going.

The use of negative energy seems highly likely in the thought of inter-stellar travel, but I think the ion drive could do more than they think. You know that satelite which has been accelerating for two years? Can't they use the ion drive to power another motor/engiene instead of powering the satelite it's self?

To be horribly honest with you, Mark, I haven't got an answer to that.
What I can say is that this concept doesn't generate kinetic force it harnesses/harmonises with an existing one. If you get it the right way round things (hypothetically should) just work because they are rather than because they are forced.
I know you won't mind me getting all fuzzy philosophical about it, like you with Black holes, I with perpetual motion. Ahh so they say it can't be done, but you get your confirmation in time and that's the truth.

Mark Walker said:
(Not a lagitimate idea just an example)Say you had a cylinder powered to rotate on it's axis by the ion drive, after two years that cylinder will be spinning extremely fast. Could an energy be created by those conditions, instead of the ion drive moving the satelite it's self?

Only problem with that is energy is not created, its moved from one state to another. However I have less interest in collecting energy than I do in finding out new equations for understanding it's forms. For what it's worth, though, it takes many hands to build a city and each does their own part, so it's good to see others with dreams of the stars.
:cool:

1. What is the NASA Innovation Project: Exploring Space with a Magnetic Beam?

The NASA Innovation Project: Exploring Space with a Magnetic Beam is a research project that aims to use a magnetic beam to propel spacecrafts through space. This technology could potentially revolutionize space travel and make it more efficient and cost-effective.

2. How does the magnetic beam work?

The magnetic beam works by using a powerful magnetic field to push against the Earth's magnetic field. This creates a force that can propel a spacecraft forward in space.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a magnetic beam for space exploration?

There are several potential benefits of using a magnetic beam for space exploration. It could significantly reduce the cost of launching spacecrafts and increase their speed, allowing us to explore further and faster. It could also reduce the amount of fuel needed for space travel, making it more environmentally friendly.

4. What are the challenges of developing and implementing this technology?

One of the main challenges of developing and implementing the magnetic beam technology is the cost and complexity of building the necessary infrastructure. It also requires advanced engineering and scientific knowledge to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the technology.

5. What is the current status of the NASA Innovation Project: Exploring Space with a Magnetic Beam?

The NASA Innovation Project: Exploring Space with a Magnetic Beam is still in the early stages of research and development. Scientists and engineers are currently conducting experiments and simulations to test the feasibility and effectiveness of the technology. It may be several years before this technology is ready for practical use in space exploration.