Natural frequency of clamped-hinged column

In summary, the equation you seek is contained in the paper "Effect of End Conditions on the Lateral Stability of Cantilever Beam" by Asghar A. Jamshidi.
dyah09
Homework Statement
I have a column clamped at the bottom and for the top, I use hinged BC but free at the Y axis. I have the dimension and the material properties. How to calculate its natural frequency?
Relevant Equations
I'm looking for the equation
I have a column clamped at the bottom and for the top, I use hinged BC but free at the Y axis. I have the dimension and the material properties. How to calculate its natural frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There will be several modes and frequencies of oscillation.
Is the column circular, or does it have different second moment of inertia in different directions?
Please attach a diagram showing the freedom-of-movement connection details to your next post.

Likes dyah09
The cross-section is a rectangle. I tried to write the problem out. Here you go

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-22_10-58-43.jpg
    photo_2023-05-22_10-58-43.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 65
Now that the problem is better defined, it is a case of finding the equation you seek.
We do not directly answer the question, and cannot learn for you. This question requires that you investigate the sources, to identify the relevant equation.
What texts do you have available for this subject ?

Likes dyah09
I found many equations in some papers. Mostly it's about the cantilever beam. For example, this equation: fn=k^2/(2*pi()*L^2)*sqrt(EI/m)

I know L is for the length of the beam/column; E is for young's modulus of the material; I is for the moment of inertia of the cross-section; and m is for the mass of the column per unit length. And then there is k, a parameter that depends on the boundary condition (BC) and the mode shapes. The paper doesn't have k value for my problem's BC. That's the problem sir, I don't know where to find the k value for clamped-hinged column or beam

Also, the units in this equation aren't really explained well in the paper. So, I'm a bit confused.

Ohh thank you sm sir, i will read it first

What is the definition of natural frequency of clamped-hinged column?

The natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column is the frequency at which the column will vibrate when disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is a characteristic property of the column and is determined by its physical dimensions and material properties.

How is the natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column calculated?

The natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column can be calculated using the equation: f = (n^2 x π^2 x E x I) / (L^2 x ρ), where f is the natural frequency, n is the mode number, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the area moment of inertia, L is the length of the column, and ρ is the density of the column material.

What factors affect the natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column?

The natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column is affected by its physical dimensions, material properties, and boundary conditions. A longer column will have a lower natural frequency, while a stiffer column will have a higher natural frequency. Additionally, a change in the column's material or boundary conditions can also alter its natural frequency.

How does the natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column impact its stability?

The natural frequency of a clamped-hinged column is directly related to its stability. A column with a low natural frequency is more likely to experience resonance and failure when subjected to external forces, while a column with a high natural frequency is more stable and less susceptible to vibrations.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the natural frequency of clamped-hinged columns?

Understanding the natural frequency of clamped-hinged columns is crucial in the design and construction of various structures, such as buildings, bridges, and towers. It also plays a significant role in the development of earthquake-resistant structures and the design of musical instruments. Additionally, knowledge of the natural frequency of clamped-hinged columns is essential in the fields of acoustics and vibration analysis.