Half-power cut-off frequency and frequency and phase response.

In summary, a first-order filter has a half-power cut-off frequency of 127.27 kHz. It has a frequency response and phase response that is not easily Sketchable.
Callum Plunkett
Homework Statement
Estimate the half-power cut-off frequency of the filter and sketch its
frequency and phase response.
Relevant Equations
Equation used if i am correct.
Tr = 0.35/Bandwidth
I have been given the attached following question:

FIGURE 2 shows the response of a first-order filter to a step input. Estimate the half-power cut-off frequency of the filter and sketch its frequency and phase response.

I believe that I have correctly calculated the half-power cut-off frequency as 127.27Khz. However, I am not sure how to begin sketch the frequency and phase response.
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Callum Plunkett said:
However, I am not sure how to begin sketch the frequency and phase response.

What would a simple RC lowpass filter look like to generate this time domain response?

If you sketch that RC lowpass filter and write the transfer function ##\frac{V_o}{V_i}## using complex impedances, can you then plot the frequency domain magnitude and phase response?

Likes DaveE
Likes Averagesupernova, DaveE and berkeman
How did you arrive at f=127,27 kHz?

LvW said:
How did you arrive at f=127,27 kHz?
Yeah, I get slightly higher than that, based on the graph and his Relevant Equation...

Likes osilmag
berkeman said:
Yeah, I get slightly higher than that, based on the graph and his Relevant Equation...
OK, but what about τ=RC=1/2πfg with τ=1µs at v(t)=0.63*Vmax?
Both results differ considerably. I suppose, the graph is not correct.

LvW said:
OK, but what about τ=RC=1/2πfg with τ=1µs at v(t)=0.63*Vmax?
If folks were nitpicky enough, you could find a lot of disputes in textbooks.

LvW said:
I believe the graph was given as part of the problem statement, no? And I think the OP was asked to calculate ##\tau## from the graph, so when the rising waveform makes it to ##1 - \frac{1}{e}##

berkeman said:
I believe the graph was given as part of the problem statement, no? And I think the OP was asked to calculate ##\tau## from the graph, so when the rising waveform makes it to ##1 - \frac{1}{e}##
Yes - but there are two basic methods to find the 3dB-cut-off from the 1st-order step response :
a) based on the rise time (10% to 90%)
b) based on the 63% criterion (identical to the slope criterion for t=0).

The problem ist that the results differ considerably.
Therefore, I assume that the shown graph is not the correct step response for a 1st-order system.
(For example, the curve crosses the maximum voltage at 8µsec.)

Likes berkeman
LvW said:
Yes - but there are two basic methods to find the 3dB-cut-off from the 1st-order step response :
a) based on the rise time (10% to 90%)
b) based on the 63% criterion (identical to the slope criterion for t=0).

The problem ist that the results differ considerably.
Therefore, I assume that the shown graph is not the correct step response for a 1st-order system.
(For example, the curve crosses the maximum voltage at 8µsec.)
In my experience, practicing EEs always use the 10-90% definition of rise time, unless they've said otherwise. Physicists and mathematicians do whichever they like.

Yeah, good points by both of you. I guess we need to figure out where that rule of thumb of ##\frac{0.35}{t_R}## comes from, and which standard for rise time they used

berkeman said:
Yeah, good points by both of you. I guess we need to figure out where that rule of thumb of ##\frac{0.35}{t_R}## comes from, and which standard for rise time they used
It's from 10-90% step response of a single pole.

DaveE said:
It's from 10-90% step response of a single pole.
Link? (I'm in a Teams meeting so have not been able to do the search that I wanted...). Thanks Dave.

Or math. It also comes from that.

a single pole unit step response is ##f(t) = 1-e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}## Solve for t gives ##t=- \tau \ln{(1-f(t))}##

So the 10-90% rise time ##t_r=- \tau (\ln{(1-0.9)} - \ln{(1-0.1)}) = \tau \ln{(9)} = 2.20 \tau##

But ##\tau = \frac{1}{2 \pi f_o}## so ##f_o = \frac{ln{(9)}}{2 \pi t_r} = \frac{0.35}{t_r}##

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Note that one reason EE's tend to the 10-90% definition is that there are sometimes artifacts of other non-dominant poles/zeros or instrumentation issues that mess up the beginning and/or end of the step response. In the middle of the action, it is really the dominant stuff that shows up, then you can more easily ignore the noise, time delays, really fast responses, or slower perturbations.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Sorry for my very late reply, especially as I was looking for help.

The method I used was:
0.35/tr with when tr is 90-10 of the final value.

Thanks every one for the help provided and once again I apologise for the late reply.

What is the half-power cut-off frequency?

The half-power cut-off frequency is a term used in signal processing and refers to the frequency at which the output power of a system is reduced by half of its maximum value.

How is the half-power cut-off frequency calculated?

The half-power cut-off frequency can be calculated by finding the frequency at which the power of the input signal is reduced by half of its maximum value. This can be done by plotting the frequency response of the system and finding the point where the power is reduced by half.

What is the significance of the half-power cut-off frequency?

The half-power cut-off frequency is an important parameter in signal processing as it indicates the range of frequencies that a system is able to process effectively. It is also used to determine the bandwidth of a system.

What is frequency response?

Frequency response refers to the relationship between the input and output signals of a system as a function of frequency. It is a measure of how a system responds to different frequencies and is typically represented by a graph showing the output power or gain as a function of frequency.

What is phase response?

Phase response is similar to frequency response, but instead of measuring the output power or gain, it measures the phase shift between the input and output signals as a function of frequency. It is also represented by a graph and is important in understanding how a system affects the timing of the input signal.