Navier-stokes derivation question

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equations from Newton's second law. The main question is whether the time rate-of-change of momentum can be written as a volume integral or if the Reynolds transport theorem must be used. The conversation also touches on the use of control volumes and the different forces involved in the momentum equation. The conclusion is that there are different ways to derive the Navier-Stokes equations, but the Reynolds transport theorem is often used.
member 428835
hey pf!

so i have a small question when deriving the navier-stokes equations from Newton's 2nd law. specifically, Newton states that $$\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a} = m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt}$$

when setting a control volume of fluid and dealing with the time rate-of-change of momentum we write $$m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_V \rho \vec{v} dV$$ but isn't it true that $$\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_V \rho \vec{v} dV = \frac{d (m \vec{v})}{dt}$$

can someone please help me out here?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
hey pf!

so i have a small question when deriving the navier-stokes equations from Newton's 2nd law. <snip>

can someone please help me out here?

A few points:
$$\Sigma \vec{F} = \frac{d(m\vec{v})}{dt}$$

$$\frac{d}{dt} \iiint_V A dV = \iiint_V \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} dV + \iint_{\partial V} A \vec{v} \bullet \vec{n} dS$$ (Reynolds Transport Theorem)

thanks andy. are you saying Newtons second law is not force = mass * acceleration but rather rate of change of mass * acceleration?

also, i have not invoked reynolds transport theorem and was hoping i could go through the derivation without it (or at least this step). do we need to use reynolds theorem here?

joshmccraney said:
thanks andy. are you saying Newtons second law is not force = mass * acceleration but rather rate of change of mass * acceleration?

Force = the time rate of change of momentum (momentum = mass*velocity)

joshmccraney said:
also, i have not invoked reynolds transport theorem and was hoping i could go through the derivation without it (or at least this step). do we need to use reynolds theorem here?

There are probably ways to derive the Navier-Stokes momentum equation from Newton's second law without the Reynolds transport theorem, but I can't think of one right now.

Likes 1 person
The only way I have ever seen it done without the Reynolds Transport Theorem involves using a control volume and volume integrals, which simply reduces to the Reynolds Transport Theorem anyway.

Likes 1 person
thanks to you both! would it be okay with you two if i asked a few more questions about the derivation for navier stokes? I'm writing a .pdf so i can be sure i understand "most" of what is going on. i do, however, still have a few questions, if you guys don't mind?

actually, to save time, if you both (or either) are okay with assisting me in going through the derivation, perhaps i'll start by asking if the following is correct starting from Newton's second law: ##\frac{d(m\vec v)}{dt}=\Sigma \vec{F}##

[tex]
\underbrace{\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_V \rho \vec{v} dV}_{\text{Momentum Rate of Change}} = \underbrace{-\iint_{\partial V} \rho \vec{v}\vec{v} \cdot d\vec{S}}_{\text{Momentum Flux}}\:\:\: + \underbrace{- \iint_{\partial V} P d\vec{S}}_{\text{Pressure Force}} \:\:\:+ \underbrace{\iiint_V \rho \vec{g} dV}_{\text{Body Force (gravity)}} +\underbrace{-\iint_{\partial V} \vec{{\tau}} \cdot d\vec{S}}_{\text{Shearing Forces}}
[/tex]
where all notation is basic, although i will say for clarity that ##\vec\tau## is the stress tensor (sorry, I am not sure how to bold within physics forums, as i had to use a package in latex). i think everything else is obvious. also, ##\vec v \vec v## is a 2nd rank tensor, using the dyadic product. i assume only gravity as a body force for this derivation, although I am not too concerned here.

Related to Navier-stokes derivation question

What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of fluid substances. It takes into account factors such as fluid viscosity, density, and pressure to predict how a fluid will behave under certain conditions.

What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is an important tool for studying and understanding fluid dynamics. It has applications in a wide range of fields, including aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and chemical engineering.

How is the Navier-Stokes equation derived?

The Navier-Stokes equation is derived from the fundamental principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. It involves simplifying assumptions and mathematical manipulations to arrive at the final equation.

What are the limitations of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, so it may not accurately model certain types of fluids, such as highly viscous or turbulent fluids. It also cannot be solved analytically for all cases, so numerical methods must be used.

What are the practical applications of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation has numerous practical applications, including predicting the flow of air around airplanes, designing efficient pipelines for transporting fluids, and understanding weather patterns. It is also used in computer simulations to model and analyze fluid behavior in various scenarios.