Need a book to explain the princple of quanization

In summary, this book is historical and confusing, and may not be the best resource to understanding quantization of energy.
patric44
hi guys

i am struggling to understand how and why quantization of energy solves the UV catastrophe and the black body problem ? and how they get to the Rayleigh - jeans equation in the first place ? and why plank modified the equation the way he did ? and why should the harmonic oscillators inside the black body have quantized energy ?

is there is a book ( a free book would be great ) to explain in details these things for me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you will find a clearer explanation than the Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol 1 Chapter 41. It is available online here. If that doesn't answer your questions, come back and ask.

For me, i think some introduction QM books may help you :wink:
You can find Quantum Mechanics by Cohen-Tannoudji, Introduction of QM by Griffith, QM-An introduction by W. Greiner, or Feynman lecture...

I really like "Quantum Concepts in Physics: An Alternative Approach to the Understanding of Quantum Mechanics" by Malcolm Longair (2013). This book, intended to be a compliment to (but not substitute for) standard courses and texts on quantum mechanics, presents quantum mechanics from a historical perspective at about the level of a senior undergraduate.

Form the back cover:
"Written for advanced undergraduates, physicists, and historians and philosophers of physics, this book tells the story of the development of our understanding of quantum phenomena through the extraordinary years of the first three decades of the twentieth century. Rather than following the standard axiomatic approach, this book adopts a historical perspective, explaining clearly and authoritatively how pioneers such as Heisenberg, Schrodinger, Pauli and Dirac developed the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and merged them into a coherent theory, and why the mathematical infrastructure of quantum mechanics has to be as complex as it is. The author creates a compelling narrative, providing a remarkable example of how physics and mathematics work in practice. The book encourages an enhanced appreciation of the interaction between mathematics, theory and experiment, helping the reader gain a deeper understanding of the development and content of quantum mechanics than any other text at this level."

Likes Nguyen Son
Judged from the cited back cover, I can only warn against this book. The historical perspective is very confusing as QT has been very confusing before it was really understood (by Dirac). If you want a historical source, read Dirac's famous textbook. For a straight-forward approach, I recommend Sakurai, Tuan, Modern Qunatum Mechanics, Revised Edition.

What is quantization?

Quantization is the process of converting continuous values into discrete values. In the context of physics, it refers to the phenomenon in which certain physical quantities, such as energy or angular momentum, can only exist in specific discrete values.

Why is quantization important?

Quantization is important because it helps us understand and explain certain phenomena in the microscopic world, such as the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as digital signal processing and quantum computing.

What is the principle of quantization?

The principle of quantization states that certain physical quantities can only exist in discrete, quantized values. This is due to the wave-particle duality of matter, which explains that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors.

How does quantization relate to quantum mechanics?

Quantization is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the microscopic level. It is used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions, and is essential for understanding phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

Can you recommend a book that explains the principle of quantization?

One highly recommended book is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It provides a clear and concise explanation of the principles of quantum mechanics, including quantization, in a reader-friendly manner.