Need a surface mount seal for chemical cabinet door

In summary, if you are looking to reduce odors from a garage, you might consider a small shed or cabinet outside, or better yet, ventilation.
croooowe
TL;DR Summary
Trying to build a mini cabinet to hold chemicals and small engine fuel containers to minimize odor. What type of seal for the door will work?
I want to build a mini chemical cabinet to try to eliminate odors in my garage as my wife thinks the car interior now smells. The chemical resistant rubber strip sealant is crazy expensive, but as the intended use will just be fumes with no actual chemical or fuel contact to the seals, can I use standard, or at least a cheaper material for a surface mounted strip sealer around the door? Will the fumes be enough to breakdown the material of non-chemical resistant seals over time? If so how long might a standard rubber seal last?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe vent the cabinet to the outside of the building. Without a vent, the air in the cabinet will become saturated, and so diffuse more quickly, into and through the door seals.

Keep the cabinet as cool as possible, by placing it low down, on or near the floor, on the coolest side of the building. That will reduce the evaporation rate of the contents. Fuel vapour is a hazard in a closed garage because it settles low down in the space.

Consider a minimum power extractor fan. The concentration of vapour in the cabinet could be reduced by a continuous flow from the garage, through the cabinet, to the outside of the building. Vapour in the garage space would also be removed by that extractor fan, through the cabinet door gap, or through a vent in the cabinet. Better cabinet door seals would reduce that advantageous through flow.

Likes DaveE
croooowe said:
I want to build a mini chemical cabinet to try to eliminate odors in my garage
Can you instead just place a small storage shed/cabinet outside in the shade next to your house? That will keep the odors out of your garage, and any odors will quickly dissipate outside once released from the shed.

1676570689841.png

Likes Rive, Bystander and Lnewqban
Fridge-door type magnetic seals ? Plus cabinet vent to outside with riser chimney and 'cap'...

croooowe said:
Trying to build a mini cabinet to hold chemicals and small engine fuel containers to minimize odor.
It may depend on the country and the local regulations, but as I recall, proper ventilation might be required for cabinets holding hazardous chemicals.

As it was hinted before, what an airtight cabinet do is to retain all the 'stuff' inside and blow it all in your face when you open it.

I too recommend an outdor unit, or at least outdoor ventilation.

An anecdote---my wife tends to get bothered by minutiae when I make a purchase she doesn't agree with or didn't know about. "Your new mower smells like gasoline and makes the garage stink" is something I've heard before, and you can insert "pesticide sprayer", "weedeater", "diesel generator', or "new gas can" with the same complaint. I only mention this a little tongue in cheek as maybe the issue isn't the odor...

As far as the technical, trying to enclose volatiles in a cabinet is probably not a great idea, especially if flammability is a concern. Eventually in a 'sealed' cabinet..... the vapor pressures from all the leakages will--eventually--equilibrate. This can give you a combustible gas mixture in the cabinet, depending on what is stored, the temperature, and if not climate-controlled is fairly unpredictable, especially with mixed storage.

Generally, ventilation is the easiest cure for volatiles to prevent the accumulation of vapors to hazardous, or ignitable levels..

Ventilation may not just be the fix, it could be be regulatory or best practice/insurance required, depending on the location--all the flammable cabinets I've purchased in the last 15 years were ventilated and the vents had flame arrestors in them to prevent internal and external fires propagating.

I'd suggest outdoors with no sealing using commercially available cabinets, if possible.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is a surface mount seal?

A surface mount seal is a type of seal that is applied to the surface of a cabinet door to create an airtight seal. It is typically made of a durable material, such as rubber or silicone, and is designed to prevent the escape of any chemicals or fumes from the cabinet.

2. Why do I need a surface mount seal for my chemical cabinet door?

A surface mount seal is necessary for a chemical cabinet door to ensure that the contents of the cabinet are properly contained. This is important for safety reasons, as well as to comply with regulations and prevent any potential damage to the surrounding environment.

3. How do I choose the right surface mount seal for my chemical cabinet door?

When choosing a surface mount seal for your chemical cabinet door, you should consider the type of chemicals that will be stored in the cabinet, the size and shape of the door, and the level of airtightness required. It is also important to choose a seal that is made of a material that is compatible with the chemicals being stored.

4. Can I install a surface mount seal myself, or do I need a professional?

While it is possible to install a surface mount seal yourself, it is recommended to have a professional do it to ensure that the seal is properly applied and provides an airtight seal. Improper installation can compromise the effectiveness of the seal and potentially lead to safety hazards.

5. How often should the surface mount seal on my chemical cabinet door be replaced?

The frequency of replacing the surface mount seal on a chemical cabinet door will depend on factors such as the type of seal, the chemicals being stored, and the amount of wear and tear. It is important to regularly inspect the seal and replace it if there are any signs of damage or wear to maintain the safety and effectiveness of the cabinet.

Back