Need advice -- how much calc to know for calc-base physics?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they should retake a calculus course before taking a calculus-based physics course in Canada. They only have prior experience with a basic calculus course and are concerned about their lack of knowledge in algebra and trigonometry. The conversation also includes suggestions for online courses and a discussion on the level of calculus needed for different levels of physics courses. The individual is seeking guidance on what they should review before starting their physics course.
DPVV
Hello.

I need advice from someone knowledgeable in calc and calc-based physics.

I moved to Canada a couple years ago and am trying to finish pre-med prerequisites and take the MCAT (I have a prior degree in another major that was not intro science/math-heavy).

6 years ago I took the 1st quarter course of a 3 quarter calc series in my previous university in the USA. (1 quarter = 10 weeks of class) The calc I learned mainly involved simple derivatives. I do not remember learning about integrals at all.

That one calc class was basically all I took in University for math and I got 3.5/4 for that... Now I am having to take calc-based physics. Canada only has calc-based physics in their university curriculum for pre-med majors.

The issue is I don't remember anything from my calc class. Algebra is still fresh but trig.. not as much. Would it be feasible to reteach myself calc during the Summer before taking calc-based physics in the Fall? How much calc should I reteach?

Or should I just retake calc I over the summer before I start calc-based physics??

I also took physics in grade 12 and got an A but it was my least favorite class out of chem/bio/physics in high school as the concepts were difficult to learn for me. (not to mention it's been almost 10 yrs since I took it..)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
DPVV said:
The issue is I don't remember anything from my calc class.
DPVV said:
Or should I just retake calc I over the summer before I start calc-based physics??

If you don't remember anything, retaking it is a good idea.

At the intro level for Physics , just basic integration and differentiation is all you need. More importantly is a knowledge of basic algebra and trig. Many of the problems in calc based physics will just require algebra and some trig. In many respects, calc based physics is easier than algebra based physics, because it helps you understand the derivations of the equations.

It can vary with the physics course.

Prolly ok if you take the online Coursera Calculus One and Calculus Two courses over the summer.

Just from my time when a student: Only a little bit of differentiation and integration was needed in Physics 1 Mechanics, but mostly algebra and basic Trigonometry. Nearly ALL of Calc 1 & 2 and some Vector skills/knowledge and not-so-basic Trigonometry for Physics 2 E & M. This Physics 2 was the tough course. Significant amount of Intermediate level Algebra, and somewhat more than just basic Trigonometry for Physics 3 "Modern Physics", and I cannot remember much of Calculus being used in this one.

Likes PhanthomJay
Depends on how far you're planning on going. If you only need first year physics, differentiation and integration are all you need. But of course, those are going to require a firm grasp of basic algebra, geometry, and trig. And if you plan on going into 2nd and 3rd year physics, you'll be needing everything up to Diff Eq, Multivariable, and Linear Algebra.

1. How much calculus do I need to know for calculus-based physics?

To successfully understand and apply calculus in physics, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of basic calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and their applications. Additionally, knowledge of multivariable calculus, including partial derivatives and multiple integrals, may be necessary for more advanced physics topics.

2. Can I still do well in physics if I don't have a strong background in calculus?

While calculus is an essential tool in physics, it is possible to still do well without a strong background in calculus. It is important to have a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and to practice applying them in physics problems. However, it may be beneficial to review or seek additional help in calculus to improve your understanding and performance in physics.

3. How can I improve my calculus skills for physics?

To improve your calculus skills for physics, it is recommended to practice regularly and seek help when needed. There are also many online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, that can aid in improving your understanding of calculus concepts and their applications in physics.

4. Are there any specific calculus topics that are more important for physics?

In general, all calculus topics are important in physics. However, some of the most frequently used concepts include derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. It is also important to have a strong understanding of vector calculus for topics such as motion and forces in three dimensions.

5. Is it possible to learn calculus and physics at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus and physics simultaneously. In fact, many physics courses incorporate calculus concepts and problems into their curriculum. It may be helpful to review and solidify your understanding of basic calculus concepts before diving into more advanced physics topics that heavily rely on calculus.