Ordinary Differential Equations and Calc III

In summary: My advisor has told me that he likes to move at a fast pace and I'm not sure how I would be able to keep up.In summary, it is difficult to say for certain whether or not it is a good idea to take both ODE and Calc III in the same semester. Some people say that it is doable, but others have told me that I won't be able to keep up. My concern is that I won't be able to complete both classes.
Juan Becerra
Hello, I need help deciding on whether to take ODE (MAP2302) and Calc III during the summer. Would it be wise to take ODE along with Calc III in the same semester? Some people have told me to take Calc III first because there are a few things in ODE that are taught in Calc III, but others have told me that it is doable. ODE will only be a summer A class, meaning that the class will be taught at a fast pace. My concern is that I won't be able to keep up with the material since there are things that I haven't learned yet. I'm not too concerned about Calc III because the class will take up both semesters (summer A and B). However, I have been told that my instructor likes to move at a fast pace. So to sum it all up my concerns are: will I be able to keep up with both classes? (knowing that they will move at a fast pace since they will be during the summer terms) and will I be completely lost in ODE since I didn't take Calc III yet?
On a similar note, how much (if at all) do hyperbolics come up in ODE and Calc III? My Calc II professor only spent like 10 or 15 minutes talking about them; we weren't tested on them, so I have no clue what they're used for or how to solve them.
If I decide to take them both at the same time, what material should I self-study from Calc III for ODE?
Suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Juan Becerra said:
On a similar note, how much (if at all) do hyperbolics come up in ODE and Calc III?

Depends on the class syllabus. Since you won't tell us where this is, you are in a better position to judge than we are.

Juan Becerra said:
will I be able to keep up with both classes?

What does your advisor say?

Personally, I would need a really, really really good reason to take both classes at the same time in a summer session, which is twice as fast as spring or fall. Especially this summer, where the odds of doing it remotely are high.

Likes Juan Becerra
Vanadium 50 said:
Depends on the class syllabus. Since you won't tell us where this is, you are in a better position to judge than we are.
What does your advisor say?

Personally, I would need a really, really really good reason to take both classes at the same time in a summer session, which is twice as fast as spring or fall. Especially this summer, where the odds of doing it remotely are high.
For the latter part, are you saying not to take them both because the classes will be taught online? If so, I could see how it would make both classes even harder because I won't be able to personally ask my professors for help or go to see a tutor.

I would take Calc III first and then Diff Eqns second as that is the normal order of teaching.

One could take them in the same semester but then you'll devote half time to each and perhaps get sick of math in the long term. Its almost always better to have a variety of courses spread over several disciplines.

Likes Juan Becerra
Juan Becerra said:
For the latter part, are you saying not to take them both because the classes will be taught online?

No I said "especially if they will be taught online."

1. What are ordinary differential equations (ODEs)?

ODEs are mathematical equations that involve a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

The main difference is that ODEs involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. This means that ODEs are used to model systems that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model systems that change over both time and space.

3. How are ODEs solved?

There are various methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration. The method used depends on the specific form of the ODE and the initial conditions given. Some ODEs may also require numerical methods for approximation.

4. What is the relationship between ODEs and Calculus III?

ODEs are typically studied in Calculus III, as they involve the use of derivatives and integrals. In Calculus III, students learn about higher-order derivatives, which are necessary for solving more complex ODEs. Additionally, the concepts of vector calculus and multivariable calculus are often used in the study of ODEs.

5. How are ODEs used in real-world applications?

ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. ODEs are also used in the development of mathematical models for understanding and solving real-world problems.