Need Advice: Passing a Ball Bearing from Air to Water

In summary, a user named Frank asked for advice on a personal project involving passing a metal ball bearing from a column of air into a column of water without the water passing back up. Suggestions were made to use a ball valve or soft glue to create a seal, with the size and specifications depending on the specific requirements of the project.
Frank Dorrian
TL;DR Summary
A one way valve that could facilitate transport of a metal ball bearing between air and a fluid (I.e. water) whilst remaining water tight
Hi all, I'm new to this but joined in the hope someone with more experience could provide some advice. In a personal project, I have a particular design dilemma where I am trying to pass a metal ball bearing (or any other spherical shaped solid) from a column of air into a column of water without the water passing back up.

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what one way valve would be best for this situation I would love to hear your suggestions!

Much love
Frank

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I think you need a sketch. My first reading of your description leads me to think of a BB gun firing a BB projectile into a body of water. I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

You can drag-drop an image into a post, or click on the Attach files button.

If you think about how the ball is inflated, maybe you'll get an idea. Using the soft glue will allow air to follow the ball.

Last edited:
A ball valve is a ball with a hole drilled through, set in a sphere with matching holes at 180*. Rotation aligns or misaligns the holes.
Plugging one end of the rotating ball would allow a bearing (or other material) to be placed in the remaining end and be rotated to the liquid without breaking the air/liquid seal.
Available from under 3mm to over 75mm at pipe supply businesses.

This may not apply, depending on requirements not available without a sketch.

• Informative
Likes OCR

1. How can a ball bearing pass from air to water without sinking?

The ball bearing can pass from air to water without sinking due to the principle of buoyancy. The density of the ball bearing is greater than that of air but less than that of water, causing it to float in the air and sink in water. However, if the ball bearing is coated with a hydrophobic material, it can create an air pocket around itself, allowing it to float on the surface of the water.

2. What is the best angle to pass the ball bearing from air to water?

The best angle to pass the ball bearing from air to water would depend on the speed and force with which it is being thrown. Generally, a shallow angle of around 30 degrees would be ideal as it allows the ball bearing to glide smoothly through the air and enter the water without too much resistance.

3. Can the size of the ball bearing affect its ability to pass from air to water?

Yes, the size of the ball bearing can affect its ability to pass from air to water. A larger ball bearing would have a greater surface area, causing it to experience more air resistance and making it more difficult to pass through the air. It would also displace more water when it enters, making it more likely to sink. A smaller ball bearing would have less surface area and would be easier to pass through the air and water.

4. How does the speed of the ball bearing affect its passage from air to water?

The speed of the ball bearing plays a crucial role in its passage from air to water. If the ball bearing is thrown too fast, it may skip across the surface of the water instead of entering it. On the other hand, if it is thrown too slow, it may not have enough momentum to break through the surface tension of the water. The ideal speed would depend on the angle and force of the throw, but it should be enough to overcome the surface tension of the water.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the passage of the ball bearing from air to water?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the passage of the ball bearing from air to water. These include the surface tension of the water, the density and viscosity of the water, and the presence of any obstacles or disturbances in the water. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the ball bearing can also impact its ability to pass through the air and water smoothly.