Need clarification on limit of sequence.

In summary, the limit of { \frac{n+1}{2n} } as n --> oo is expected to be 1/2. To prove this, it is observed that if n > 2/ε, then 0 < 1/2n < ε. Thus, taking N to be any integer > 2/ε, we have as required that n>N, then |S_n - L | < E. However, it is questioned why N > 2/ε was chosen instead of N > 1/(2ε), since it also satisfies the conditions. It is suspected to be a printing error, but it still works as a bound.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

What is the limit of [tex] { \frac{n+1}{2n} }[/tex] as n --> oo. Prove your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is example from my book. Here is the problem:
*I am using the capital letter "E" instead of "ε" in latex-code.

Intuitively, 1 is small relative to n as n gets large, so [tex] { \frac{n+1}{2n} } [/tex] behaves like [tex] { \frac{n}{2n} } [/tex], so we expect the limit to be 1/2 as n --> oo. To prove this, we observe that

[tex] | S_n - L | = | { \frac{n+1}{2n} } - { \frac{1}{2} } | = | { \frac{1}{2n} } | = { \frac{1}{2n} } < E[/tex]

We observe that if n > 2/ε, then 0 < 1/2n < ε. Thus taking N to be any integer > 2/ε, we have as required that n>N, then [tex] |S_n - L | < E[/tex].

My question is, why didn't they choose N to be any integer > 1/(2ε) ? Since:

[tex] { \frac{1}{2n} } < E[/tex] implies [tex] { \frac{1}{2E} } < n [/tex]

I see that 1/(2ε) < 1/ε < 2/ε < N. Is there a reason why N > 2/ε was chosen rather than N > 1/(2ε)

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it's a printing error.

Samuelb88 said:
My question is, why didn't they choose N to be any integer > 1/(2ε) ? Since:

[tex] { \frac{1}{2n} } < E[/tex] implies [tex] { \frac{1}{2E} } < n [/tex]

I see that 1/(2ε) < 1/ε < 2/ε < N. Is there a reason why N > 2/ε was chosen rather than N > 1/(2ε)

I am not sure if it is a printing error or not since it works.
Their bound is not at "tight" but it works.

Thanks, both of you!

Related to Need clarification on limit of sequence.

What is a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms in the sequence increases towards infinity. It is often denoted by the notation limn→∞ an or simply as lim an.

How is the limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence can be calculated using various methods, such as using the definition of a limit, the squeeze theorem, or L'Hôpital's rule. In general, the limit of a sequence can be found by taking the limit of the function that generates the sequence, as n approaches infinity.

What is the importance of understanding the limit of a sequence?

The concept of a limit of a sequence is important in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and number theory. It allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases, and is also useful in proving the convergence or divergence of a series.

Can a sequence have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can have only one limit. This is because the definition of a limit requires the terms of the sequence to approach a single value as n approaches infinity. If a sequence has multiple limits, it would violate this definition.

How can the limit of a sequence be used to prove convergence or divergence?

If the limit of a sequence exists, meaning it approaches a finite value as n approaches infinity, then the sequence is said to converge. If the limit does not exist, the sequence is said to diverge. Therefore, by calculating the limit of a sequence, we can determine whether it converges or diverges.