Can International Students with a GED Secure Scholarships at Top U.S. Colleges?

In summary, to be eligible for a US college, you will need to take the TOEFL test, Sat Math2 and Sat Physics(Science). You may also be required to get teacher recommendations, and some colleges may offer full or partial scholarships to international students.
MarkCJ
Hi, I'm Mark. Currently I self-study Physics and Mathematics. I have secondary school and GED degree, and I'm not a native English speaker. I'm wondering if I want to apply to college for 2017, what I have to do?

What test do I need. Who am I suppose to get a recommendation letters from, can I get them from my tutor (then I have to get a tutor first). Are there any colleges that offer 80%+ scholarships for international students?(my finance is utterly bad)

From what I've known, I need TOEFL, Sat Math2 and Sat Physics(Science) will be required. But is there anything else? Recommendation letter part really concern me. I left school for 3 years (due to financial problem) and now they say I have to get evaluations from my secondary school, and teacher from non-degree course. I do not understand what is non-degree course, does it mean I could get my evaluations from tutor or does it mean only courses via community college? And scholarships part is extremely in my concern, I have very small fund, some of my family members do not support me for this, but some does. I would work 12 hrs a day as a janitor to study in college, so I do not need full scholarships, but I imagine if there are none, my payment as "janitor" would not be enough.

I do really appreciate if you would recommend any solution for "Test", "Recommendation letters" and "Colleges".
Love to see any feedback. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer all your questions, but there is little doubt in my mind that you should apply to a 2 year Community College. Many accept international students. Financial Aid is available. Tuition is a fraction of the cost of a private university. With part time work, you should be fine. After 2 years, you can then transfer to a public or private university as a Junior. Many community colleges have partnerships with the 4 year universities that makes the transfer a lot easier. Many accept the GED readily. Search around and good luck.

Last edited:
Likes IGU and russ_watters
MarkCJ said:
From what I've known, I need TOEFL, Sat Math2 and Sat Physics(Science)

Assuming you're applying to colleges and universities in the US, it's up to the individual school what they require. You have to look at their individual web sites. It's not very common for schools to require SAT subject tests (e.g. Math 2 and Physics), unless you're focusing on elite schools. See for example http://rowlandheights.eliteprep.com/college-admissions-resources/colleges-that-require-sat-subject-tests.

PhanthomJay said:
I can't answer all your questions, but there is little doubt in my mind that you should apply to a 2 year Community College. Many accept international students. Financial Aid is available. Tuition is a fraction of the cost of a private university.
Thank you very much for your answer, but from my information there are no community college in my country. So in this case that you've suggested, I will apply for US community college.
jtbell said:
It's not very common for schools to require SAT subject tests (e.g. Math 2 and Physics), unless you're focusing on elite schools.
Yes, I do aim for the best college I could get in. eg. Caltech, MIT, etc. Thanks for suggestion I'll look for any college that offer any scholarships.

Both of you really do give me a relief, thank you again for these suggestions. I might have to take a look for any scholarships, from what I've known both Caltech and MIT do give somewhat full scholarships as well. But from the lack of my knowledge on 'college names' it will take a while to search for them, but that's going to be a very small concern for me, thanks to you guys.
(forgot to mention, I'd love to major in Physics or Mathematics)

The big concern is my recommendations, as I inform, my country does not provide any community college, so it will be impossible to get any recommendations from that, however there're tutors and private classes, will it be possible for me to get my recommendations from them?

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions. :-)

What are the requirements for getting into college?

The exact requirements for college admission vary depending on the institution, but most colleges consider a combination of factors such as high school GPA, standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal essays.

When should I start preparing for college admission?

It is recommended to start preparing for college admission during your junior year of high school, but it's never too early to start thinking about your future. This will give you enough time to research potential colleges, take standardized tests, and strengthen your application.

How important are extracurricular activities for college admission?

Extracurricular activities can greatly enhance your college application, as they demonstrate your interests, skills, and dedication outside of the classroom. However, they are not the only factor considered for admission. It's important to focus on activities that you are passionate about rather than trying to do too many just to impress colleges.

Do I need to take both the SAT and ACT?

Most colleges accept both the SAT and ACT, so it's up to you to decide which test to take. Some students may perform better on one test over the other, so it's recommended to take practice tests for both and see which one you feel more confident with. It's not necessary to take both tests, but some students choose to do so to improve their chances of admission.

What can I do if I don't get accepted into my dream college?

Firstly, don't panic or give up. There are many paths to success, and getting into one specific college does not determine your future. You can consider applying to other colleges, taking a gap year to improve your application, or attending a community college and transferring to your dream college later on. Remember, the most important thing is to find a college that is the best fit for you.